Gibson Brands Forums

Is This Even Possible?

BoSoxBiker

2 minutes ago, J185cat said:

What I see in the photo looks like a crack maybe in the side of the nut?  Is that what you are talking about?  If so, are you sure it’s a crack?  Could it be excess lacquer that got on the edge?  Just guessing.

1 minute ago, ALD323 said:

Looks like a cracked nut which resulted in some of the nitro finish popping off as well.

Yeah, that's what I am pointing out.

I really hope that's just something simple like that. It's similar on the treble side, but higher up on the nut. Almost to the top. How best to determine? Loosen the strings?

30 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

It's possible. It feels like a whole layer of something on the bottom part of the nut.

Anyone have any advice on best way to determine?

Precisely why God made Luthiers.

They'll tell you what the problem is, and what to do about it.

This isn't Rocket Science.

RBSinTo

19 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Precisely why God made Luthiers.

They'll tell you what the problem is, and what to do about it.

This isn't Rocket Science.

RBSinTo

Awesome!!!!!  Mr sharp tongue internet guy joined the party. Feel better now? Walking around with the chest pumped out? Feeling good about yourself now? Holy smokes!

A little tact used to be a good thing. Why it's gone now might very well be rocket science. Go pound yourself.

• Like 1

Really, BoTox, the reply from "Our BS" TO was fairly non inflammatory, if not just a little dismissive.  No need to go off from that one. Sounds like you were harbouring something from a past post. Choose your battles.

What guitar is this? It does look shite, and it would bug me too.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I didn't even know they sprayed nitro on nuts.

My concern isn't so much cosmetics of it in of itself. If the nut isn't busted, which I don't think it is, the only remaining concern I would have is if someone were to replace the nut, would there be any potential of danger to surrounding areas' finish.

My luck with nuts this past 12 months and more so this past month is unfathomable.

I see that as nitro (perhaps tinted), partially covering the side of the nut. I would try cutting with a razorblade along the edges of the nut, and then scraping the nitro off the nut. A light polish after that and I think you will be fine!

Lars

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

I see that as nitro (perhaps tinted), partially covering the side of the nut. I would try cutting with a razorblade along the edges of the nut, and then scraping the nitro off the nut. A light polish after that and I think you will be fine!

Lars

Agree - yet it still seems like a rather thick layer of lacquer. Not sure how even the nut-gable aligns with neck-binding. 

BUT BSBIKER ! be careful not to crack off more finish down the neck/headstock. 

24 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Agree - yet it still seems like a rather thick layer of lacquer. Not sure how even the nut-gable aligns with neck-binding. 

BUT BSBIKER ! be careful not to crack off more finish down the neck/headstock. 

Agree. I would probably use an X-Acto knife with a fresh  blade for this, so you can scribe a "break line" if it is actually excess finish. I also have a headband magnifier for this type of work. Probably start with inspection with a high-power lens to try to confirm what is happening.

As Em7 says, don't try to pop it off without closer inspection and scribing where you want it to break when it pops off.

Y'all hit on all my concerns, guys. Thanks a bunch for all the information. 

I'm in the 99.9% sure range on the nut not being cracked. It was startling to see at first. I never, ever would have though a nut could have Nitro or any finish on it. Very strange.

Thanks for sharing your eyes and knowledge again. 😎

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Y'all hit on all my concerns, guys. Thanks a bunch for all the information. 

I'm in the 99.9% sure range on the nut not being cracked. It was startling to see at first. I never, ever would have though a nut could have Nitro or any finish on it. Very strange.

Thanks for sharing your eyes and knowledge again. 😎

Remember the blind lead the naked in the QA department at Gibson.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Remember the blind lead the naked in the QA department at Gibson.

This could just as easily have been caused by someone accidentally bumping the end of the nut against a piece of furniture, etc.

As much as you feel obliged at every opportunity to point a finger at Gibson for real or perceived quality control issues which are typically minor in nature, I feel obliged to again point out that on the day one of your Martins starts to pop it’s binding at the waist, you will know unequivocally that Nazareth was to blame.

53 minutes ago, bobouz said:

This could just as easily have been caused by someone accidentally bumping the end of the nut against a piece of furniture, etc.

As much as you feel obliged at every opportunity to point a finger at Gibson for real or perceived quality control issues which are typically minor in nature, I feel obliged to again point out that on the day one of your Martins starts to pop it’s binding at the waist, you will know unequivocally that Nazareth was to blame.

Your right It could be.  Its is probably minor and to me looks like it is lacquer crack, but it is his guitar and I think he would know if he bumped it or it took a tumble, but neither of those things are mentioned any of his post and I would think and or hope he would. Every guitar manufacture has their wows. We have mostly heard and seen it all on every forum we are on and most of us know what the QA issues are with The Big 2 of The Big 3 manufacturers (I have not heard much bad about Taylors except people love or hate their tone, I am not a fan but they are stunning guitars to look at). All we see is a side view of the nut and him thinking that somehow the nut is now cracked, and how can this be? Just like on the Martin forum and on this forum, the fans of each are quick to defend to the death their brand and over look and poo poo off the QA issues. How many times has someone posted a guitar with a QA issue and people post "I would keep it". Sometimes its blamed on the store and sometimes the shipper and sometimes the maker. I have never needed a neck reset or had any binding pop yet. I did have two bridges lift and I think it was my fault by over hydrating them with those stupid sponge things and now I use only the Boveda packs. My guitars were under warranty and cost me nothing to get fixed. Its seems like a daily event here, and probably on any guitar forum, that someone posts a QA or WTF happened to my guitar post. When you get a guitar with a QA issue and it is your first from that company (especially if its new) it probably sours your view of them (or maybe not). It would for me. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Hope this makes you feel better. My J-45

DSC02439.JPG

I've had a few Gibson acoustics where the lacquer chipped off the side of the nut.  Even had one where the lacquer came completely off and there was a small "crescent moon" of missing lacquer just under the nut on the wood.

Edited by gearbasher

1 hour ago, bobouz said:

, , , , I feel obliged to again point out that on the day one of your Martins starts to pop it’s binding at the waist, you will know unequivocally that Nazareth was to blame.

It happened to my 1984 D-35 15 years ago.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Okay it stood up in a small very hot loft-chamber for a summer month or so, but pling-pling it said - and 2 out of 4 bindings popped at the waist. 

3 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

It happened to my 1984 D-35 15 years ago.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Okay it stood up in a small very hot loft-chamber for a summer month or so, but pling-pling it said - and 2 out of 4 bindings popped at the waist. 

For comparative purposes, I keep returning to Martin’s binding issue because it has been such a frequent problem on USA-made models from, I believe, around 2012 on..... and to date, it still appears to be happening to very recent production examples.

Indeed, every guitar manufacturer will have their build quality issues from time to time.  But Martin’s binding problem & frequent neck resets on recent production instruments translate into ongoing systemic issues of a more serious nature (which imho, have been inadequately addressed by the company).

• Like 1