Gibson Brands Forums

Feeding pigeons

Bluemoon

Bluemoon' date=' if the pigeons in Chicago are in fact diseased, that's not their fault. They are now being twice victimized then.... being victimized once by pollution, then being hated and killed for being diseased. That doesn't seem fair to me. Maybe the city could add some antibiotics to some bird feed and try and clean it up humanely. [/quote']

Do you know who Mayor Daley is? There is no way that he would pay top put antibiotics in bird feed. We can barely afford to fill the pot holes in our roads.

I don't think we should kill them...but don't encourage them by feeding them. I really not a big fan of walking to work and getting shat on. Have you see city pigeon poop?

Is shat a word?

The Ford KA view on pigeons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4_SNdsGcTA&feature=related

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfwwGyu1W5U&feature=related

Both adverts were banned in the uk... I wonder why

Regards

I don't go out of my way to hurt animals nor suggest it for anyone else, but I'm ROTFL from those - especially the one with the cat.

Ok, I knew that there were diseases associated with pigeons, so I had to look it up. From the NYC Dept of Health--the main problems/diseases associated with pigeons are Histoplasmosis and Cryptococcosis. Both of those diseases are actually caused by fungi that grow on pigeon droppings. The problems arise when you try to *clean up* after all those dang pigeons because the fungal spores can become airborne and be inhaled.

The only thing that could actually be carried by a pigeon is Psittacosis, but it's more commonly associated with birds like parrots and cockatiels. It's also spread via the droppings, but it's actually *shed by the bird* rather than growing after the bird has left his little gift.

As for the pigeons in Chicago--it sounded like mutations were being described and ain't no antibiotic in the world can help that.

Ok' date=' I knew that there were diseases associated with pigeons, so I had to look it up. From the NYC Dept of Health--the main problems/diseases associated with pigeons are Histoplasmosis and Cryptococcosis. Both of those diseases are actually caused by fungi that grow on pigeon droppings. The problems arise when you try to *clean up* after all those dang pigeons because the fungal spores can become airborne and be inhaled.

The only thing that could actually be carried by a pigeon is Psittacosis, but it's more commonly associated with birds like parrots and cockatiels. It's also spread via the droppings, but it's actually *shed by the bird* rather than growing after the bird has left his little gift.

As for the pigeons in Chicago--it sounded like mutations were being described and ain't no antibiotic in the world can help that.[/quote']

Our pigeons have some major deformities--extra heads, legs, wings, growths on their beaks....

In Valencia there is a beautiful plaza by the Cathedral that had a large population of white pigeons. There used to be a lady who had a table by the fountain in the plaza who sold pigeon feed. Every weekend you would see tourist feeding the pigeons and taking photos, it was a nice thing to do.

Turns out over the years all that pigeon feed and hundreds of tourist feeding pigeons resulted in and over population of pigeons in the plaza. The pigeon droppings were starting to damage the fountain and sculptures and stone work on the Cathedral. The city took action and decided to do the right thing. Instead of killing the pigeons they had a plan to add something to pigeon feed that would sterilize the male population and return the pigeon population to normal.

The plan was implemented and the doctored feed was left out for the pigeons in the evening... You can imagine the shock and the outrage of the people the next day when they came to feed the pigeons and found the plaza filled with hundreds of dead pigeons. The pigeons overdosed... Either the dose was too big or the pigeons eat too much. Either way the pigeon population is back to normal now... True story

+1...nasty creatures. We also have sea gulls here' date=' they are more aggressive and nastier than pigeons...they try to steal food right out of your hands, they are called sea rats by many people here.[/quote']

Ever heard of the myth that if you feed a seagull an alka seltzer they explode? When I lived in Maryland, the beaches there had signs warning against this. I never tried it . . . I swear!

Archived