Gibson Brands Forums

Feeding pigeons

Bluemoon

I was walking to work today in Chicago and saw some guy in a suit feeding pigeons. There were hundreds of them flocking around him. It was nasty. I just don't understand why anyone would consider that to be fun. Pigeons are just one step up from rats.

I was walking to work today in Chicago and saw some guy in a suit feeding pigeons. There were hundreds of them flocking around him. It was nasty. I just don't understand why anyone would consider that to be fun. Pigeons are just one step up from rats.

That's what they called them now (flying rats).

But they fought side by side w/ GI soldiers during early wars.

Hey I used to raise pigeons when I was a kid.

I had a flock of some cool birds who new who their owner was and where they lived.

Sometimes my father and I would take a couple of them to the beach and let them go and they'd be home when we got back.

At it's largest my flock was about 30. I had blue bars, blue checks, rollers and tumblers, fan tails, and others.

It was great while it lasted, but I eventually outgrew them.

Pigeon's are monogamous and mate for life.

In part of my town business owners have used statues of owls to drive them away because yes, they are like flying rats.

+1...nasty creatures. We also have sea gulls here, they are more aggressive and nastier than pigeons...they try to steal food right out of your hands, they are called sea rats by many people here.

Feeding pigeons?

I just kill em. They're flying rats with diseases.

Pigeons do NOT have diseases.... that is an urban myth. They are among the most intelligent of birds and have helped humans win wars. If you really want to know the truth and educate yourself about them' date=' just google pigeon facts.

I have two pigeons living in my eavestrough. They have been there for 7 years. As californiaman said, they mate for life. Peter, the male, will sit on my arm and eat out of my hand. When I go out to warm up the car in the morning, he flies down with me and sits on the top of the car. They both sit on the front porch with my overweight cat, as they know they are part of the family, So does the cat. If I leave the front door open, Peter will come inside and wander around the kitchen. People have been breeding, racing and caring for pigeons for many many years and the 'pigeons carry disease' thing is a bunch of BS. I love mine, they are my outdoor pets, they are very loving, and it breaks my heart that people shoot them for target practice. That's a real shame.

Here's Peter, Percival, and Peggy. Percival was the baby but he's grown now, found a mate, and gone off on his own.

[img']http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/Gilliangirl/IMG_0756.jpg[/img]

The racing breeding woodland pigeon is very different from your common street pigeon.. There's a guy employed in Trafalgar Sq in London with birds of pray which fly around the square to scare away the pigeons... Imagine your luck if your there for lunch and you see the bird of pray catch a pigeon and kill it....Now thats entertainment!!

Flight959

Pigeons do NOT have diseases.... that is an urban myth.

You live in Calgary. I am sure your pigeons are in good shape.

In Chicago they are disease ridden. Believe me. Many are deformed--probably from eating polluted crap from the lake or the Chicago river. I would rather lick the foot of a homeless man than let a pigeon eat out of my hand.

Wait' date=' did I really just say that.

[img']http://emoticons4u.com/obscene/eck06.gif[/img]

Gilliangirl' date='

Doesn't that nasty pigeon poop on your house bother you?[/quote']

KSG, it's a royal pain in the a** but it's nothing a 30 second spray from the garden hose won't clean up. I have a philosophy on life that I believe we should live WITH nature and not AGAINST it. It's a small inconvenience to pay for the joy these two have given to me. Really. They are beautiful. They make me laugh and smile every day.

Bluemoon, if the pigeons in Chicago are in fact diseased, that's not their fault. They are now being twice victimized then.... being victimized once by pollution, then being hated and killed for being diseased. That doesn't seem fair to me. Maybe the city could add some antibiotics to some bird feed and try and clean it up humanely.

I forgot to add that I just recently had a carpenter come in and build that hunk of wood in the eavestrough so that poop will not be dripping down the drainpipe anymore. I advertised on Craigslist for a 'creative carpenter'. A couple guys actually answered the ad. The one I chose came out and put the wood platform in for free. He was an animal lover/humanitarian type. Great guy. Anyway, the poop you see in the pic was just after the platform was installed (literally minutes after) and I hadn't cleaned the poop yet. There'll still be poop to clean, but it will be controlled to certain areas and easily cleaned up. Again, small price to pay.

+1000 for Gilliangirl and KSdaddy for treating them with respect and not killing them.

Really' date=' I cannot stand people hurting animals, but maybe it's better if I don't give my complete opinion on the subject =D>[/quote']

Dont be shy.

I love animals I have a cat and hes awesome, hes sleeping under my moms bed right where you cant get to him.

I just hate the annoying ones that defecate on everything.

I like pigeons. I like the noises they make.

I have a talent I call my "Pigeon Skills." I can remember anywhere I've been. As long as I've traveled to the destination by ground I can easily navigate my way back there. It has really come in handy for gigs in Boston.

Archived