Gibson Brands Forums

Would I regret this?

egoidealmusic

HI folks,

So you might remember my issue with my 50s inspired J-45 (lifting/leaning tuning posts), and I have a question for you.  As I mentioned elsewhere, Gibson decided to replace instead of repair, but the suburst model I'd originally purchased is on back order.  I'm considering seeing if they'd send me the 50s J-50 instead as I'm getting antsy and really want to play a Gibson again (I've been cylcling through my other guitars but none have that Gibson sound).  I've always loved the look of the sunburst with that batwing pickguard but love the look of a natural with that pickguard as well. . .just not quite as much.  Would I regret it if I made the stitch?  Should I just keep my pants on and wait?

Yes, I know they're the exact same guitars structurally, but not the same vibe visually.

You answered your own question. You must prefer the burst. You might be unhappy with the blond top, but I prefer to see the grain of the spruce and watch it amber over time. I feel the modern bursts look cheezie, but mine is a kinda' funky 1950.

Just hope you're happy with the tone and go to the aesthetics after. In fact, if I had the choice I'd ask them to send you one with no guard installed, just separate in the case.
MKsBfdL.jpg

Edited by jedzep

The choice of top can't be compared with choosing vanilla chocolate or strawberry ice-balls while being on the pier. It goes deeper and those inwards spears must be respected.                                                                    Getting the right burst or natural hue is important and will satisfy you on an almost primal level.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Which of course means that the second best won't be able to bring you home in the same way. 

However both burst and natural tops are great and sound therefor must be the decisive factor. Sound'n'Feel, , , then looks. . 

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts, all.  I'd definitely choose the right tone over the right look, but as Gibson is sending me one as a replacement I can't play through a number of them to pick the one that's just right for me (though the idea of spending a couple of days in their shop doing this sounds like the best vacation ever).  It's interesting that before I had to send it back I had it up on the wall with all of my other guitars which are all bursts of some form or another (save the old really beat up Gibson classical) and I wondered to myself if I should have gone with the J-50 just for something new.  I know I love the feel of  that 50s chunky neck (which I do think alters the tone somewhat), so now I'm just wondering.   Hell, if I knew it was the best tone I'd play a pink one with a purple pickguard.

That's a gorgorgeous peice of wood on yours Jed, so I definitley see why you love it.  And yet the one in the pic on the Gibson website is just, well, kind of meh.  And maybe Dave F is right--there's something about a slope shouldered guitar that lacks the style of a burst, and yet I think that Martin square shoulders look kind of odd in a burst.  I'm sure it's just what I grew up seeing (and obviously connected to who was playing them).

Paul, do you have a pic of your J-50?  Maybe the pic on the website just doesn't do it justice.

Jed, what do you think makes the newer bursts look cheezie?  

That's purdy, Dave.

Whatever your taste in style is, I'm not a fan of the big guard, for both aesthetic and functional reasons. I'm convinced it affects the movement of the top and therefore tone.

Early vintage bursts almost have a depth and 3D quality. Modern chemistry has created a finish that looks more one-dimensional on the surface, almost like a paint job.

Website pics probably don't do the guitar justice.

Edited by jedzep

That is gorgeous.   And see, there's something about that aged looked that's so different that a brand new natural top look.

And I see what you mean, Jed.  Would love to be able to go back in time and see if that's how they came off the line or it time brought out more of that 3D depth you're talking about.

And the newer one you posted, great lines on that top.  The burst does level things out (i.e. the different ones look more "the same"), but that's best argument I've heard (seen) for reconsidering!

Here's another question/complicaiton:

Given that the J-50 is still in stock (is traditionally less popular) it's been sitting for a bit versus a J-45 that will theoretically come off the line in a week or so (from what they told me), does this matter?  Would you prefer something that's had 6 months to a year to age vs. something set out today?  Would it impact tone at all?  Would that time sitting there be good or not really matter?

Edited by egoidealmusic

I have a 2020 J-50 1960's Original and am very happy with the way it looks, feels and sounds. But I'm especially partial to J-50's, my first acoustic guitar was a new 1974 J-50 Deluxe, currently on permanent loan to my Son in Law. More recently I got a 2008 J-50, a 1965 J-50 ADJ and now the 1960's Original. Just my personal preference, I never liked the artificial appearance of the burst finish and still have no interest in getting one. But I don't need an internet poll to figure that out.... it shouldn't "take a village" to decide what kind of guitar you like. 🙂

12 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

Here's another question/complicaiton:

Given that the J-50 is still in stock (is traditionally less popular) it's been sitting for a bit versus a J-45 that will theoretically come off the line in a week or so (from what they told me), does this matter?  Would you prefer something that's had 6 months to a year to age vs. something set out today?  Would it impact tone at all?  Would that time sitting there be good or not really matter?

No issue at all. In fact you would in theory benefit from the extra months.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      The logic is the drier the better (now we don't talk about playing time/vibrations) and a 1 year old J-50 is, , , DADAA ! a 12 months drier guitar.                                                                                                                          I doubt however that such a short period would make any difference.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Impossible to measure btw, , as these creatures as we know vary from ex to ex  - sometimes more than others, important to add - and the difference would be too subtle to get down on 'tape'.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone, and I decided to give Gibson a call today.  I said unless a 45 is rolling off the line this week that I'd actually prefer a handpicked and slightly aged 50.  The rep I spoke to said that unless there's some complication wtih it being a different sku # (even though it's the exact same guitar minus the coloring) he didn't see why it should be a problem and that he'd call me tomorrow.  As I thought about it, I think fortyearspickn is spot on.  A handpicked one is far more important than the color.  And I kind of like the surprise element.  Will update when I hear back!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, egoidealmusic said:

Thanks for the thoughts, everyone, and I decided to give Gibson a call today.  I said unless a 45 is rolling off the line this week that I'd actually prefer a handpicked and slightly aged 50.  The rep I spoke to said that unless there's some complication wtih it being a different sku # (even though it's the exact same guitar minus the coloring) he didn't see why it should be a problem and that he'd call me tomorrow.  As I thought about it, I think fortyearspickn is spot on.  A handpicked one is far more important than the color.  And I kind of like the surprise element.  Will update when I hear back!

Hope all goes well with the J-50. I think you’ve made a good choice. I agree with fourtyyearspickn too, good advice. 

I've got a 50s style J-50 and I love it. However, I much prefer a natural top to a burst. I know there are great J-45s out there but I had my heart set on a J-50.

Do you feel that way (in reverse), or are you more flexible than I was?

Here is mine.

Edited by TomG76
Typo
  • Like 1