Gibson Brands Forums

I got scammed today, picked up a fake LP

Rusty Mcdangles

I understand what I can see, but the OP did start this thread stating it was a fake.

I saw some things I didn’t agree with, like the Gibson style Tom bridge instead of the China style like the metric Epiphone type they usually use with screw slots on the bridge posts.

Oh my translucent Cherry that turned red under light was an 05 Gibson SG Jr.

Edited by mihcmac

On 10/22/2021 at 4:35 PM, M-T-Pockets said:

So how do you know for sure this is fake (the headstock doesn't look right, but I'm no expert).  

some easy things are to spot,  others, you need to dig a bit deeper. 

for example  a USA made Gibson should not have screw slots to make any bridge height adjustments

On 10/23/2021 at 11:48 PM, mihcmac said:

So you are credible enough to stand in a lawsuit that it is a fake?

That font on the back of the head should just say fake instead of the serial number and the Made In USA. It screams fake as fuk quite loudly.

The bookend looks awful from the back, but I think the main red flag is, I think Gibson stamps it’s serials then finishes the guitar.

On some of the Gibsons I’ve had you can barely make it out it’s got so much paint in it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, mihcmac said:

The top image is an actual Gibson Les Paul Custom.

Here it is.

Thanks to the high-quality images, it's one of the most obvious fakes I've seen in years. That's what you've chosen as the supporting document in your disagreement with everyone else who thinks the original guitar in question is fake.

And yes, I would say that in court.

• Wrong headstock shape
  • Incorrect serial number font and ink fill
  • Cheap truss rod cover
  • No fret nibs (on its own, not necessarily an issue due to refrets, but combined with the rest...)
  • Rosewood fretboard (also not an issue on its own, but wrong for 2005 that the serial number states)
  • Wrong body shape
  • Wrong pickguard shape (also could be a replacement... but all these possible issues add up)
  • Wrong bridge
  • Incorrect knob placement
  • The strap button isn't even centered
Edited by pohatu771
  • Like 1

Not that I'm disputing this guitar as good ,, but

That's a roller bridge,  granted it didn't come with the guitar, I don't think the "vibrolo" did either 

But I wouldn't use that as a fake argument there's enough other stuff going on, body/headstock issue. 

But keep using the roller bridge as a "fake" argument is not right

31 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Ok, so here is what it could look like, remembering that things can be replaced like the nut cover, knobs, pickups, tuners, bridge etc, doesn't authenticate it.

Yes, things can be replaced, but when everything appears to have  been replaced, and other details including the actual shape of the guitar are wrong, everyone but you can agree it isn't real.

Edited by pohatu771

6 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

Not that I'm disputing this guitar as good ,, but

That's a roller bridge,  granted it didn't come with the guitar, I don't think the "vibrolo" did either 

But I wouldn't use that as a fake argument there's enough other stuff going on, body/headstock issue. 

But keep using the roller bridge as a "fake" argument is not right

Oh no, I just looked at a better shot of the bridge, the roller bridge with the slotted bridge post... Thank you Eracer Team.....!

I also just noticed that the Gibson Logo on the headstock is spelled G I b s u n...

Edited by mihcmac