Gibson Brands Forums

Just curious : do you have (or have you had) more Martin acoustic guitars than Gibson electrics ?

62burst

Just curious : do you have (or have you had) more Martin acoustic guitars than Gibson electrics ?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. In a recent thread, there was the mention of Martin guitar bashing that happens here on the acoustic forum. I really don't recall any of that- this seems to be a more laid-back forum. Do acoustic players live in a place where they can appreciate both Gibson and Martin guitars, and might have been electric players at one time, but have now found themselves drawn to both Gibson and Martin acoustics, and may have little interest in the electric guitars made by Gibson. (?)

• I have (or have had) more Martin acoustic guitars than Gibson electric guitars
    • I have (or have had) more Gibson electric guitars than I have (or have had in the past) Martin acoustic guitars

Bought my 1st Gibson last year - decided to sell 2 Martin guitars earlier this year - 2009 Martin Grand J12-40E Special ( 1 of only 231 made) and 2011 Martin JDP II ( build 71 of just 71 made) they just weren't getting the play time they deserved - time to move them on together with a Huss & Dalton MJ Custom.

Znykn7Sm.jpg  6E2dLtGm.jpg  vXFwyOFm.jpg

The JDP II sold in a few days ( buyer in UK ), the Grand J12-40E Special in a few weeks and the H&D in a couple of months - I channeled some of the funds from the H&D to a new Epiphone 'Inspired by Gibson' Hummingbird with hard case.

I would be happy to own Martin or Huss & Dalton guitars again.

I'm curious to understand what is considered Martin "bashing". What is this bashing that happens almost daily, as has been suggested. If I share an experience of a test drive by saying the following, is it bashing? "I tried an M-36 in a local store a couple of years ago. Nice looking and all and quite comfy to play, but sounded lifeless compared to my current stable (which was 2 Gibsons and a Taylor at the time). It didn't seem to project outwards like others. It was more responsive than normal for me when I tried finger-picking, but I rarely do FP. In the end, I set it down and re-focused my search on the main three finalists I had previously narrowed it down to."  

Bashing? Simple conversation?

• Like 1

I have no Gibson electric guitars but do have an Epiphone Les Paul, and one Martin Acoustic guitar. Three Gibson acoustics; one, an L-00, is on consignment now at the guitar store. Two Waterloo JKs, which have become favorites.  I've been playing around with guitars for 40+ years and too many have come and gone. These are the ones that have settled into my little part of the world. I would like to own a real ES=335 some day...

1 hour ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I'm curious to understand what is considered Martin "bashing". What is this bashing that happens almost daily, as has been suggested. If I share an experience of a test drive by saying the following, is it bashing? "I tried an M-36 in a local store a couple of years ago. Nice looking and all and quite comfy to play, but sounded lifeless compared to my current stable (which was 2 Gibsons and a Taylor at the time). It didn't seem to project outwards like others. It was more responsive than normal for me when I tried finger-picking, but I rarely do FP. In the end, I set it down and re-focused my search on the main three finalists I had previously narrowed it down to."  

Come on BSB you know what bashing is. Trying out a  Martin M-36 and simply not liking it is not bashing its called your personal preference, but others posting that Martin binding pops off and that neck resets are needed within days of purchasing your new D-28 certainly is. I would regulary get those responses back when I would post about Martin. Is Martin perfect - nope, but they don't suck. Is Gibson perfect - the same nope.

The M-36 didn't project as much cause it doesn't have a Players Port.

Truth be told. The best guitar I ever played was a Preston Thompson, I think it was called a D-1A. It was their take on the D-18, and it was a dream. It cost over 5k, but man was it sweet.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Come on BSB you know what bashing is. Trying out a  Martin M-36 and simply not liking it is not bashing its called your personal preference, but others posting that Martin binding pops off and that neck resets are needed within days of purchasing your new D-28 certainly is. I would regulary get those responses back when I would post about Martin. Is Martin perfect - nope, but they don't suck. Is Gibson perfect - the same nope.

The M-36 didn't project as much cause it doesn't have a Players Port.

Truth be told. The best guitar I ever played was a Preston Thompson, I think it was called a D-1A. It was their take on the D-18, and it was a dream. It cost over 5k, but man was it sweet.

Just trying to verify the boundaries. I do know what I call bashing.

Curious on the binding example - is that someone who had a personal experience with that happening, or some folks regurgitating the odd happening occurrance horror story?

I imagine each of the big boys has had their share of oooopsies. For every "Gibson Neck", there is the early 2k's Martin (fake wood) Bridge issues or the late 2k's Taylor dry guitars. I've had 2 of the 3. 

LOL - Players Ports. Yeah, that must have been it on the M36. Dummies. Everyone else is doing it? C'mon Martin!!!!  😁  On a more serious note, though, you bring up that Players Port as a joke. I get it, and it's funny. Some might see that as Gibson bashing, though. 

I've only been fortunate enough to see videos on most of the small builders. I've got a small list that I'd like to try someday and Preston Thompson is on that list. Then again, probably best I don't try them.

19 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Just trying to verify the boundaries. I do know what I call bashing.

Curious on the binding example - is that someone who had a personal experience with that happening, or some folks regurgitating the odd happening occurrance horror story?

I imagine each of the big boys has had their share of oooopsies. For every "Gibson Neck", there is the early 2k's Martin (fake wood) Bridge issues or the late 2k's Taylor dry guitars. I've had 2 of the 3. 

LOL - Players Ports. Yeah, that must have been it on the M36. Dummies. Everyone else is doing it? C'mon Martin!!!!  😁  On a more serious note, though, you bring up that Players Port as a joke. I get it, and it's funny. Some might see that as Gibson bashing, though. 

I've only been fortunate enough to see videos on most of the small builders. I've got a small list that I'd like to try someday and Preston Thompson is on that list. Then again, probably best I don't try them.

There are no boundaries that I am aware of. 

It never happened to me on any of my 10 or 11 Martins I've owned, but it is brought up here quite often. As is the neck reset issue. 

Yes all makers "F" s-hit up now and again. Both Martin and Gibson have a list of issues they have dealt with.

Yes indeed, and it was not intended as bashing, but what Gibson is touting on the website is BS. It was not invented by Gibson, nor is it exclusive to Gibson to where they are the only ones doing it or allowed by some legality to be the only one to do it. It is not EXCLUSIVE as Gibson advertises. Some one said that what Gibson meant is it is exclusive to only that line of guitars Gibson makes, but what they really meant who knows. I don't see Martin installing a Martin Sound Portal, so we can get more of that Mar-tastic tone. If they do I'm driving to Nazareth, PA to b-itch slap CFM IV.

Preston's are insane, Collings are killer too. Bourgeois too (probably spelled wrong). Never liked Taylor. They are well made guitars, just to trebly for me. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

There are no boundaries that I am aware of. .........

There has to be a boundary, IMO. Something separates us(as a group) from having calm chatter to blowing fuses from one topic to the next. That line gets crossed all the time. Dollars to doughnuts right now that someone here is stewing over what can be perceived as being a blanket comment of "to trebly" on Taylor guitars. You did say "for me", which implies experience. Somewhere in all of that was a line that some may say you crossed. I disagree. You've got every right to tout your pros and cons as one of the topics we have been discussing has been just that.

35 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes indeed, and it was not intended as bashing, but what Gibson is touting on the website is BS. It was not invented by Gibson, nor is it exclusive to Gibson to where they are the only ones doing it or allowed by some legality to be the only one to do it. It is not EXCLUSIVE as Gibson advertises. Some one said that what Gibson meant is it is exclusive to only that line of guitars Gibson makes, but what they really meant who knows. I don't see Martin installing a Martin Sound Portal for that Mar-tastic tone. If they do I'm driving to Nazareth, PA to b-itch slap CFM IV.

Starting with the word, "but"  -  is it unreasonable to suggest that it became bashing at that point? 

I think there is a difference there. Then again, I've always been the one in the conference room to start stirring the pot for fun. Alas, no more conference rooms for BSB. (sigh!)

Hey - I'm not busting on you. I'm trying to figure out this whole social media landscape thing. I'm about as lost as it gets in this arena. A giant mystery to me. Hell, I've even not behaved in a manner I expect others to behave. That's a very big offense in my book. Sometimes, though, it seems like I am alone in the world when it comes to honesty, respect and consideration for others. When I feel that starting to erode on myself - bah! I'm getting too old for my age.

31 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

There has to be a boundary, IMO. Something separates us(as a group) from having calm chatter to blowing fuses from one topic to the next. That line gets crossed all the time. Dollars to doughnuts right now that someone here is stewing over what can be perceived as being a blanket comment of "to trebly" on Taylor guitars. You did say "for me", which implies experience. Somewhere in all of that was a line that some may say you crossed. I disagree. You've got every right to tout your pros and cons as one of the topics we have been discussing has been just that.

Starting with the word, "but"  -  is it unreasonable to suggest that it became bashing at that point? 

I think there is a difference there. Then again, I've always been the one in the conference room to start stirring the pot for fun. Alas, no more conference rooms for BSB. (sigh!)

Hey - I'm not busting on you. I'm trying to figure out this whole social media landscape thing. I'm about as lost as it gets in this arena. A giant mystery to me. Hell, I've even not behaved in a manner I expect others to behave. That's a very big offense in my book. Sometimes, though, it seems like I am alone in the world when it comes to honesty, respect and consideration for others. When I feel that starting to erode on myself - bah! I'm getting too old for my age.

Most here know I am not afraid to push buttons. 

Here is my mantra "Just because I offend you, it doesn't mean I'm wrong".

8 hours ago, BoSoxBiker said:

I'm guessing Chris Martin himself might have felt the same way about their 0000/M guitars way back in 1984 when he decided to increase the body depth from 4 1/8" to the dreadnought depth of 4 7/8" and name the 14 fret body as 'Jumbo' or J-14.

I believe this is him showing the new J-40 for the 1st time.

NwzVoYnl.jpg

I think calling it a 'Jumbo' was a massive mistake as many people immediately assume it's going to be big - it isn't. Then in 2009 when Martin finally built a full size jumbo body with 17" lower bout what were they going to call it when they already used 'Jumbo' for the J-14? They simply added the word 'Grand' to the title.

Here's a Martin 'Grand' jumbo next to a Martin J-14 body guitar.

CM97Jxkl.jpg

Edited by Brucebubs

2 hours ago, J45fan said:

I love Gibson Acoustics and they are the majority of the acoustic guitars I own. I appreciate Gibson electrics, but they are not for me. I have one Martin 000-18, so more Martin's than Gibson electrics.

However I own 11 Fender electrics (Strats and Teles)

000-18's are killer. I bought one a few months back. I have a 00-18 too. I think I will play them when I get home.

"Why Can't We All Just Get Along?"    

AKA   "Whirled Peas".

This topic is sort of a Sleeper -   on the surface, a simple question - harmless intent... Guitar Lovers Untie!  Let your hare down and tell us you deepest, darkest thoughts about what you like least about a brand, any brand. 

If Gibson had never existed - every single one of us here would be playing something else and just as happy as pigs in shyte.  Probably Martins.   Chief Pepper would be playing Taylors and ragging on us daily.    "It's all good."

6 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

"Why Can't We All Just Get Along?"    

AKA   "Whirled Peas".

This topic is sort of a Sleeper -   on the surface, a simple question - harmless intent... Guitar Lovers Untie!  Let your hare down and tell us you deepest, darkest thoughts about what you like least about a brand, any brand. 

If Gibson had never existed - every single one of us here would be playing something else and just as happy as pigs in shyte.  Probably Martins.   Chief Pepper would be playing Taylors and ragging on us daily.    "It's all good."

When I get my first Taylor you guys will be the first to know. T's look really nice, but like Gibson's don't have the sound I like (and believe me every time I go to a store I play them if they are there). I guess I am just not into tubby or trebly tone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I get my first Taylor you guys will be the first to know. T's look really nice, but like Gibson's don't have the sound I like (and believe me every time I go to a store I play them if they are there). I guess I am just not into tubby or trebly tone.

Yeppers.   Reminds me of a W.C.Fields quote:   "Women are like elephants. I like to look at them, but never want to own one."    Taylors have always been too trebbly  (tip of the hat to Sgt.Pepper)  for me.       Now, that begs the question:  "If  Taylor were to  're-imagine'  a line and call it "New Generation" and it sounded identical to a J-45 ...  who would buy one?   Would you be subscribing to the marketing spiel that  "Taylor has invented something new under the sun!" like Gibson has here with their sound port?       For me -  Taylor has established their niche based on an 'overly trebbly' sound which, not wishing to raise my Debt Ceiling- would mean I'd never buy one.     In my family -  as their one and only guitars - daughter in law has a Taylor (Swift) and even my daughter has one (all Koa).  And her husband's is  a Martin.   We simply don't talk about "Whose guitar is best?" over Family Dinners.   Just politics - much less volatile. 

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yeppers.   Reminds me of a W.C.Fields quote:   "Women are like elephants. I like to look at them, but never want to own one."    Taylors have always been too trebbly  (tip of the hat to Sgt.Pepper)  for me.       Now, that begs the question:  "If  Taylor were to  're-imagine'  a line and call it "New Generation" and it sounded identical to a J-45 ...  who would buy one?   Would you be subscribing to the marketing spiel that  "Taylor has invented something new under the sun!" like Gibson has here with their sound port?       For me -  Taylor has established their niche based on an 'overly trebbly' sound which, not wishing to raise my Debt Ceiling- would mean I'd never buy one.     In my family -  as their one and only guitars - daughter in law has a Taylor (Swift) and even my daughter has one (all Koa).  And her husband's is  a Martin.   We simply don't talk about "Whose guitar is best?" over Family Dinners.   Just politics - much less volatile. 

My brother in law has a 700 series Taylor and it their slope shoulder body style that looks just like a Gibson J body guitar. Like I said its nice and well made, but the tone of it is not what I like. And like Gibson and Martin, Taylor wants lots of money for their boxes with a big hole in it and wires strung on top.

Ive had lots of all brands, electric and acoustic, and find great examples in  all brands and enjoy trying as many as possible BUT  I must have a strat, a gibby and I throw in Martin

when possible.

1 hour ago, jvi said:

Ive had lots of all brands, electric and acoustic, and find great examples in  all brands and enjoy trying as many as possible BUT  I must have a strat, a gibby and I throw in Martin

when possible.

Yanno....I have a Strat, and I'm not all that fond of it..... when I was playing electric guitar for a living, I was playing a Jaguar....I wish I still had it..... for me the Jag or Jazzmaster is a MUCH better axe than a Strat.

45 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Isn't scale length the Jaguar 24" and Jazzmaster 25.5"?  Either way, I want to try the short scale length. Some stretches get me worse nowadays even on my LP with the 24.75".

I think you're right.... but the Strat is uncomfortable for my right hand....not a good place to anchor it.....the scale length seems fine.

3 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I think you're right.... but the Strat is uncomfortable for my right hand....not a good place to anchor it.....the scale length seems fine.

I recently got a Broadcaster with that ashtray bridge cover. Talk about comfort. Gets in the way too much, though.