Gibson Brands Forums

New Sheryl Crow CWS - Flaws or no?

mph6string

New here, but I’ve owned a couple of Gibson acoustics in the past.  Quick question - just got a new country western supreme yesterday as a warranty replacement.  On the fretboard binding, where the fret markers are, most of them are not filled in - you just see straight through to the neck finish. A couple of them are black though.  

Has anyone ever seen this? On my hummingbird, for example, they are all dark and consistent. 

Yes, I just found a good pic of one on reverb and the one I was sent just didn’t get the holes filled in.  Thanks. Thought maybe this was part of the “custom” process! Guess I’ll see if I can go through the whole send it back and wait and see process again - been dealing with this since June. 

12 minutes ago, mph6string said:

Yes, I just found a good pic of one on reverb and the one I was sent just didn’t get the holes filled in.  Thanks. Thought maybe this was part of the “custom” process! Guess I’ll see if I can go through the whole send it back and wait and see process again - been dealing with this since June. 

Yeah send it  back. That is a bummer.

MPH,  Don't know where you live - but if I were me, I'd be hesitant packing and sending it back for what is really a very easy fix.   Sad that it is a Warranty Replacement and not 100%.   You say you've been working on this since June - also sad.   I would get a hold of Bozeman's customer service, possibly someone you've communicated with on getting this replacement.   

I would strongly suggest they locate an authorized luthier within your driving range and schedule a time where you can go in, hand it over and wait until they put in the little silly putty dots and hit it for 5 seconds with a hair dryer.   Maybe you'll have a choice of colors.  As Henry Ford said of the Model T :   as long as it's BLACK !  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

MPH,  Don't know where you live - but if I were me, I'd be hesitant packing and sending it back for what is really a very easy fix.   Sad that it is a Warranty Replacement and not 100%.   You say you've been working on this since June - also sad.   I would get a hold of Bozeman's customer service, possibly someone you've communicated with on getting this replacement.   

I would strongly suggest they locate an authorized luthier within your driving range and schedule a time where you can go in, hand it over and wait until they put in the little silly putty dots and hit it for 5 seconds with a hair dryer.   Maybe you'll have a choice of colors.  As Henry Ford said of the Model T :   as long as it's BLACK !  

33 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

What! ANOTHER  mail-order guitar issue?  Oh, WHEN will it ever END!??!  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

Issues probably less than 2% of all the guitars shipped.   And we probably see 20% of all the complaints here.   A recent one asked  "Does Gibson Customer Service read these comments" ? 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mph6string said:

Oddly enough, this is a replacement for a J-45 True vintage, and they wouldn’t give me another j-45 in the vintage specs because the price has gone up. I had to pick something else. Been a tough pill to swallow. 

The True Vintage line was discontinued, I'm guessing, at least 5 years ago.   And the new model line with the word 'vintage' is an upgrade.  So,  with inflation and model lines changing  quite a bit since you got your TV, it would be difficult to exactly match what you had.  The SC CW is certainly a great guitar.   I have an HBird TV and can feel your pain. 

24 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Issues probably less than 2% of all the guitars shipped.   And we probably see 20% of all the complaints here.   A recent one asked  "Does Gibson Customer Service read these comments" ? 

I asked a serious question about whether or not this was the way the Sheryl crow was built. Customer service has been great.  People like you are the reason I don’t post on here. 

• Thanks 5

23 minutes ago, mph6string said:

I asked a serious question about whether or not this was the way the Sheryl crow was built. Customer service has been great.  People like you are the reason I don’t post on here. 

keep posting and dont let it bug ya, I do....

56 minutes ago, mph6string said:

Are you telling me there is a bigger jack wad than me here. 

At least the binding didn't fall off. Wait . . . sorry that is a on Martins only.

Every guitar I have ever owned have side markers, so I can say with 99.99% certainty yours was a QA opps.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Are you saying some of the inlay dots are more clear colored or that there is literally an unfilled hole?

Reason I ask is that my 59 LP reissue has kindof a plastic tortoiseshell looking material used for the side dots and some are more transparent than others. I think it is a super cool looking detail if that’s what you’re talking about. 

If you could post a pic I’m sure that would clear up any confusion. Not aware of any members here who own that guitar off the top of my head

MPH,   Sorry if the two comments I directed to you were not helpful. The one you actually chose to reference was directed to WhiteFang  and not you - and only meant to point out that  this forum probably gets a disproportionate number of queries and complaints compared to the number of guitars Bozeman ships.  Sorry I wasn't more clear.    If I thought your original question was scurrilous I would have either not tried to help at all or would have said so directly to you.  Have a nice day.  

Oh,  And, your welcome - I just gave you your first "LIKE" emoji.     

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

At least the binding didn't fall off. Wait . . . sorry that is a on Martins only.

Every guitar I have ever owned have side markers, so I can say with 99.99% certainty yours was a QA opps.

My classical guitar has no side dots, nor fret inlays. They're like that in Spain. 

Fret markers are probably a American invention. 

Maybe mph's CWS side dot fitter was Spanish? Are there any Spaniards working at Bozeman?

Edited by merciful-evans

14 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

My classical guitar has no side dots, nor fret inlays. They're like that in Spain. 

Fret markers are probably a American invention. 

Maybe mph's CWS side dot fitter was Spanish? Are there any Spaniards working at Bozeman?

It could be all my guitars were make it the holy land of Nazareth . . . PA.

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We're still trying to determine whom the OP was referring to in that post.   Me?  I was just being facetious.   For those who apparently don't understand........

facetious

[ fuh-see-shuhs ]SHOW IPA

See synonyms for: facetious / facetiously / facetiousness on Thesaurus.com
📓 High School Level

adjective
 1.  not meant to be taken seriously or literally:a facetious remark.
  2.   amusing; humorous.
   3.    lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous:a facetious person.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

We're still trying to determine whom the OP was referring to in that post.   Me?  I was just being facetious.   For those who apparently don't understand........

It seemed he was not happy with 40 Years post, yours I think he was fine with.

At leas they remembered to glue it together.

• Like 1

I'd suggest sending Bozeman some photos of the missing side dots.  Rather than shipping the guitar back they could just send you the side markers and you install them yourself.  How hard could it be to put a drop glue in the hole and press the marker in?  Although that might screw up your warranty.  I suppose logic rarely prevails in these situations.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. Customer service talked with Bozeman and they did in fact say that the dots they use in this guitar are tortoise celluloid, so it appears I was just lucky enough to get one where the dots used are for the most part are the clear portions (so in reality in looks unfinished).   In any event, I sent it back due to the neck joint finish (not clean, nitro bubbles per Bozeman).  I’m certainly not critical of Gibson Montana- I received a new natural hummingbird on the same day and it could be the most beautiful, flawless guitar I’ve had in my hands.  Sorry about my earlier reply, with the money I have tied up in these guitars this has certainly been a stressful process, but customer service has been overly helpful, especially Bob Burns. I’d ask for him if you ever call!