Gibson Brands Forums

Do you have my 335? A longshot...

fenderfan

In my college band years, I had a great tobacco burst 335, but sold it (along with my Fender Bandmaster) for tuition money.   I sold it in 1973 or 74 in Brockport, NY.   Here's the utterly  longshot question:  Would any of you happen to have information regarding this particular 335?   Maybe you know a guy who knows a guy...etc; or, maybe you ARE the guy.

Thanks for reading this message.

Hi Fenderfan,

In a strange world full of coincidences.... in 2016 I bought 4 guitars and 2 amps from a US Treasury Seizure Auction in NJ.  Included in my score was a 1969 ES-335TD (although not what I would call tobacco burst) and a 1968 BandMaster Reverb head. I got outbid on the speaker cab. Here they are:

XtJ8smA.jpg

Not likely your old ones but let me know if they are. I still have them. 

• Like 1

Hey there JO'C....well, the year is correct (I bought the guitar new, right off the wall in a local music shop), and that sure looks like her (my memory could be off regarding the exact burst color).   The Bandmaster was a regular one, not a Bandmaster Reverb, but it's really the ES335 that has been my main deep regret (deep).  Now that I'm an old guy, I thought I would put out my message here on this Gibson page, and I am really glad you have posted your information.   Even if that's not the precise one, it's close enough to really get my memories going!  Thanks very much for your post.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, fenderfan said:

Hey there JO'C....well, the year is correct (I bought the guitar new, right off the wall in a local music shop), and that sure looks like her (my memory could be off regarding the exact burst color).   The Bandmaster was a regular one, not a Bandmaster Reverb, but it's really the ES335 that has been my main deep regret (deep).  Now that I'm an old guy, I thought I would put out my message here on this Gibson page, and I am really glad you have posted your information.   Even if that's not the precise one, it's close enough to really get my memories going!  Thanks very much for your post.

You're welcome. Do you remember what it cost new?  It would be interesting to know how many thousands more I paid to get a well used one 47 years later. It plays and sounds great. When I bought it I had a 2008 Custom Shop Larry Carlton ES-335. It was amazing how close the two were. The Custom Shop model was based on Larry's 1968 335. I decided I didn't need two so I put them both up for sale on Reverb with the idea of keeping the one that didn't sell first. The '69 sold but the sale fell through. Then the Carlton sold so I kept the '69.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, JDGM, a trapeze tailpiece.  An 8 mm movie was shot of my band at the Corning Wine Festival back in around 70 to 72, and my bass player from that band has put the movie onto a CD.  I'm trying to figure out how to pull a still shot from that CD, so that I can really eyeball the 335.

12 minutes ago, fenderfan said:

Yes, JDGM, a trapeze tailpiece.  An 8 mm movie was shot of my band at the Corning Wine Festival back in around 70 to 72, and my bass player from that band has put the movie onto a CD.  I'm trying to figure out how to pull a still shot from that CD, so that I can really eyeball the 335.

How about VLC media player?  Highly rated, repectable and free open-source software - should play your movie and has a 'Take Snapshot' feature.

https://www.videolan.org/

Best wishes.....I vaguely remember 1972!  I was 18!

• 2 months later...

Sgt:  It was a very, very big deal purchase for a generally broke college student when I bought it new in 69 or 70.  It was honestly the greatest material possession I ever had - picking it up each day was magic, and when I listen to the recording my college band did back then, it sounds perfect; it literally made me a better guitar player.  A great guitar (even though I'm a Strat and Tele man for many years now!).