Gibson Brands Forums

Clues, you're hearing could be gone.

Retired

7 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

I just got my hearing checked and they said it was pretty good.  Not much loss until over 5000 Hz.

I can't hear very well at all, but they tell me it's pretty good.

They did vacuum and detail my ears.  Got the dust bunnies off my eardrums.  Best $20.00 I ever spent.  There was stuff in my ears from the sixties.  So I got that going for me...

Wow, From the 60's? Did you put it in a jar? You can sell it as a Antique Collector item. Haha. Yeah, as part of getting the new aides, I got 3 years of warranty and free wax removal. No cost on any appointments and I can go there as often as I need.  That was a good thing. 

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Well, I sing way off key, and my hearing is just fine.  [wink]  So at least, YOU have a good reason for it.

Whitefang

Yes, and Deb tells me, if someone broke into the house, I would never hear it. That is true but Sundance is my shadow. He follows me everywhere and sleeps by me. He is my alarm, His bark is so loud and with his growling, I can hear him without my aids. No one can get near the house without setting him off. Our sons German Shepard was huge. Sundance towered him and Apollo was scared of Sundance. I told Deb that If, she would go before me, I'm getting 2 more Dobermans. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

A cousin of mine had a front doormat made that reads----

"Our wireless doorbell is a pit bull named DUKE"  [wink]

Whitefang

Whitefang,

Our Son and Daughter-in-Law's front doormat reads "Dear Robbers, our neighbours have much nicer stuff".

So far, it has kept the house safe.

RBSinTo

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Whitefang,

Our Son and Daughter-in-Law's front doormat reads "Dear Robbers, our neighbours have much nicer stuff".

So far, it has kept the house safe.

RBSinTo

I've got small 15lb attack Terrier that will alert us when she hears anything out of the ordinary and a loaded 9mm in my bedroom. So come on in and try to take one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm not an audiologist but the first clue may be that you can't hear anymore.

Got that right. Anyway, not without the aides. I really am shocked that they actually could make a hearing aid that worked for me. Without them, Debbie talks and like Sgt. Shultz, I tell her. "I Hear Nothing"  I have to go right next to her and place my good ear next to her mouth to hear her. She has to up her voice also. No talking soft.  

On 1/3/2022 at 8:46 PM, MissouriPicker said:

You sound like me.   I do that occasionally in public….lol.  I’m tempted to say it’s a “getting older” thing, but then I’d be admitting I’m getting older.

I love caption hearing. That helps a great deal.  Although there are times they flash too many words and I can't read that fast. So I read the beginning and the end and try to fill in the middle. My aides also work with tv so the volume goes into both. My cell phone does the same so when I get a call, it goes right in both hearing aids. But I can't hear someone talking to me next to me while on the phone. Deb has learned that.  I can block off surrounding noise in a restaurant  so I can hear just Deb across from me. And wind noise while outside. They do other things as well. 

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm not an audiologist but the first clue may be that you can't hear anymore.

Actually, I believe that qualifies 😉

My ears are okay. The tinnitus (accident) is not that bad, don't think I have much loss. Earplugs in loud spaces as always. 

Edited by Pinch

On 1/7/2022 at 2:04 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've got small 15lb attack Terrier that will alert us when she hears anything out of the ordinary and a loaded 9mm in my bedroom. So come on in and try to take one.

Our Son and Daughter-in-Law have in addition to four cats, two dogs. A Shiba Enu, and a Golden Retriever. Both are useless as guard dogs as they get excited and run to greet anyone who comes to the door.

The Golden gets so excited that he grabs shoes and takes them to whoever comes in. So if robbers did invade their home, in addition to anything else they stole, they would have the pick of their shoes, courtesy of Finney, the Golden.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1

Our Son and Daughter-in-Law have in addition to four cats, two dogs. A Shiba Enu, and a Golden Retriever. Both are useless as guard dogs as they get excited and run to greet anyone who comes to the door.

The Golden gets so excited thst he grabs shoes and takes them to whoever comes in. So if robbers did invade their home, in addition to anything else they stole, they would have the pick of their shoes, courtesy of Finney, the Golden.

RBSinTo

Obviously Finney was a Shoe Salesman in his prior life.  

Yeah, our house was broken into once, a year or so after we had built it and moved in.  Wife at work, me working in another state, so the  Lab helped the robbers find all the good stuff.  Fortunately, they were as dumb as the dog and only took our 2 remotes and my banjo !    Cop suggested we get a FILA as a guard dog.  Brazilian Mastiff.  Found one in Columbia SC.  Trip back to Durham with the 200 pounder sitting on the bench seat alongside of me - who an hour early tried to tear my Silverado window out to get to me when I pulled into his driveway  - was tense.  He absolutely hated motorcycles.  Every time he barked - he not only scared the cyclist chitless,  the sound literally bounced off one closed window and off the other and hurt both my ears.  Probably the loudest decibel bark in dogdom.  Like a lot of big dogs, he was all bark and no bite.  Maybe because he never had to!   "Bark Loudly AND Carry a Big Stick".   He loved our grandchildren when they came over.  He thought he was a lap dog, they thought he was a pony.  We made sure they never tried to ride him, obviously.   Sadly, these dogs only live around 8 years.    Yeah - I think my hearing loss is around 40%.  Old age, genetic...  using power tools like the original Dremels, with a high pitch.   Now I wear those behind the ears receiver, wire in the ear speaker thingys.  Picks up the conversations behind me better than in front. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

The Golden gets so excited thst he grabs shoes and takes them to whoever comes in. So if robbers did invade their home, in addition to anything else they stole, they would have the pick of their shoes, courtesy of Finney, the Golden.

RBSinTo

One brother in law of mine has four German pointer/Lab mixed whose excitement when people come in the house can be as dangerous as any other dog's aggressive protection.  The four of them jumping at and on you all at once can be more than most mortal men can handle  [wink]

Whitefang

7 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Obviously Finney was a Shoe Salesman in his prior life.  

fyp.,

Finney's job is to be cute, not smart, and he gets high marks for performing that task very well.

However, I suspect he was a sack of hair in a previous life. Nothing higher than that on the Intelligence Quotient Scale.

RBSinTo

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

One brother in law of mine has four German pointer/Lab mixed whose excitement when people come in the house can be as dangerous as any other dog's aggressive protection.  The four of them jumping at and on you all at once can be more than most mortal men can handle  [wink]

Whitefang

Whitefang,

When we arrive, Finney and Roxy (the Shiba Enu) greet us at the door, and we can hardly get inside as they are so excited, and jumping all over us, as well as Finney schlepping shoes and winter boots to us as welcome offerings.

As soon as Mrs. RBSinTo sits down, Finney does his impression of a small lap dog and climbs into her lap, where he is happy to sit while she pets him and rubs his ears. Being the most jealous dog in the Universe, Finney gets massively upset if Roxy attempts to get some lovin' as well, and positions himself between Roxy and my wife, growling and baring his teeth. Affectionate and highly amusing, but useless as Guard Dogs, or burgler alarms.

RBSinTo

37 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Whitefang,

When we arrive, Finney and Roxy (the Shiba Enu) greet us at the door, and we can hardly get inside as they are so excited, and jumping all over us, as well as Finney schlepping shoes and winter boots to us as welcome offerings.

As soon as Mrs. RBSinTo sits down, Finney does his impression of a small lap dog and climbs into her lap, where he is happy to sit while she pets him and rubs his ears. Being the most jealous dog in the Universe, Finney gets massively upset if Roxy attempts to get some lovin' as well, and positions himself between Roxy and my wife, growling and baring his teeth. Affectionate and highly amusing, but useless as Guard Dogs, or burgler alarms.

RBSinTo

Message me your address and leave the front door open. I'll  bring a shoe and leave it in trade for your D-28. It sounds fair to me.

14 hours ago, Pinch said:

Actually, I believe that qualifies 😉

My ears are okay. The tinnitus (accident) is not that bad, don't think I have much loss. Earplugs in loud spaces as always. 

I wore the best roll up ear plugs at work every day at the Railroad. They were mandatory and supplied by them.  We could even wear muffs over them but they did not work under a welding helmet or cutting shield. They would not fit under our shot blast helmet either. I still got hearing loss. So did most all older guys before they retired. 

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Message me your address and leave the front door open. I'll  bring a shoe and leave it in trade for your D-28. It sounds fair to me.

Chief,

Two shoes and I'll leave a plate of Chinese dumplings. Think I'll hang on to the Martin though.

My final offer.

RBSinTo

Chief,

Two shoes and I'll leave a plate of Chinese dumplings. Think I'll hang on to the Martin though.

My final offer.

RBSinTo

When it thaws out up there my wife and I are going to try to get up there. Dumplings are on the list of things to eat. I remember a killer Korean BBQ place too, close to the hotel we stayed in last time we were there. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

My hearing actually tests quite well, considering that I have spent a lifetime in and around loud aircraft. 
A flight instructor tightened me up when I was just a young pup for not wearing my ear plugs out on the flight line. 
"You wear these things. You aren't going to be deaf like me, Junior!!"

I have worn ear plugs in my whole life since, around aircraft, while mowing the lawn, and when using power tools. 

I do have a pretty good case of tinnitus however, and that can be maddening at times. 

The VA, blessedly, awarded me 10% disability for the tinnitus. 
That, coupled with neck, back, and joint issues, puts me at fiddy percent. 
So life is good. 

😑

On 1/7/2022 at 1:04 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have a 104 pound large Doberman to alert me, and a Taurus Raging Judge in the bedroom.  It shoots,  3" .410, .45 Colt and .454 Casual.  6 rounds, stacked in any order I choose.  We have never had any break-ins as Sundance barks violently at anyone way across the street.  

On 1/8/2022 at 7:03 AM, RBSinTo said:

The Golden gets so excited that he grabs shoes and takes them to whoever comes in. So if robbers did invade their home, in addition to anything else they stole, they would have the pick of their shoes, courtesy of Finney, the Golden.

RBSinTo

I have a friend that I worked with for about 18 years who has 2 Boxers. He told me that they would help any robber pack his sack of whatever they wanted, Lol. 

On 1/8/2022 at 9:01 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Yeah, our house was broken into once, a year or so after we had built it and moved in.  Wife at work, me working in another state, so the  Lab helped the robbers find all the good stuff.  Fortunately, they were as dumb as the dog and only took our 2 remotes and my banjo !    Cop suggested we get a FILA as a guard dog.  Brazilian Mastiff.  Found one in Columbia SC.  Trip back to Durham with the 200 pounder sitting on the bench seat alongside of me - who an hour early tried to tear my Silverado window out to get to me when I pulled into his driveway  - was tense.  He absolutely hated motorcycles.  Every time he barked - he not only scared the cyclist chitless,  the sound literally bounced off one closed window and off the other and hurt both my ears.  Probably the loudest decibel bark in dogdom.  Like a lot of big dogs, he was all bark and no bite.  Maybe because he never had to!   "Bark Loudly AND Carry a Big Stick".   He loved our grandchildren when they came over.  He thought he was a lap dog, they thought he was a pony.  We made sure they never tried to ride him, obviously.   Sadly, these dogs only live around 8 years.    Yeah - I think my hearing loss is around 40%.  Old age, genetic...  using power tools like the original Dremels, with a high pitch.   Now I wear those behind the ears receiver, wire in the ear speaker thingys.  Picks up the conversations behind me better than in front. 

Our old house over by Aksarben was broken in once. I had a Show Doberman then.  It was weird, nothing was taken at all. When I got home from work, the front door was open and Deb was still teaching at school. I checked out the whole house and found nothing missing or any clues except one. The board in our bedroom closet to the attack was removed. It was so dark up there, I could see nothing when I poked my head up there. So I put the board back in place and Deb came home when I told her. We went to bed that night and the same thing happened the next day when I came home. Again, nothing taken.  We figured out, Bandit, who was an excellent guard dog as well, chased the bad guy to our closet and he hid up in the attack over night. The next day, he came down and ran to the front door to escape. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:32 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

When it thaws out up there my wife and I are going to try to get up there. Dumplings are on the list of things to eat. I remember a killer Korean BBQ place too, close to the hotel we stayed in last time we were there. 

I Love Dumplings.  Deb makes the best chicken & dumplings.  She is a great cook.