Gibson Brands Forums

Tom Petty was right and wrong

rct

I found myself looking at some houses this morning.  A couple awful, few meh, two or three Superb.  Great lot lines, neighborhoods, blah blah blah.  Real contenders.  If we lived in one of them contenders well, yeah she could hear the cars roll by out on four forty one.  But we've lived about 9 of our 41+ married years with waves crashing on the beach 24/7.  This ain't that.  So sadly, these are a no.

But I will pump that fist and enjoy that line every time I have to sing it, like I have since our first stop here 5 years ago.  Never let the facts get in the way of a good song.

Onward.

rct

• Like 1

I’m not sure what Tom was right and wrong about? People salivate over his career. I’m not a fan of his music and voice. He did have a long career, but when are musicians gonna learn drugs kill you dead?

Sounds like your in FLA, I know Tom is from there. Been to Florida many time, and it all looks the same to me except Miami (aka Cuba North) and Key West.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Yeah, she could hear the cars roll by out on 441, like waves crashing on a beach.  American Girl, long time favorite of ours.  Crowd doesn't mind my yodeling through it, so it's usually a regular.  Not too late in the night though, I get tired and can't belt it out if too late.

441 is a pretty main drag, main enough that living near it wouldn't be good for us.  Too many good places in Gainesville to have to do that.

But now, as the world is preparing to end on the east coast, I have to bolt early, like 3am Thursday, get back up the coast before anything, if anything happens.  If I stay, I'll get stuck here too many more days waiting for the people of the great state of Virginia to learn how to drive.  Again.  Still.  lolz

rct

24 minutes ago, rct said:

Yeah, she could hear the cars roll by out on 441, like waves crashing on a beach.  American Girl, long time favorite of ours.  Crowd doesn't mind my yodeling through it, so it's usually a regular.  Not too late in the night though, I get tired and can't belt it out if too late.

441 is a pretty main drag, main enough that living near it wouldn't be good for us.  Too many good places in Gainesville to have to do that.

But now, as the world is preparing to end on the east coast, I have to bolt early, like 3am Thursday, get back up the coast before anything, if anything happens.  If I stay, I'll get stuck here too many more days waiting for the people of the great state of Virginia to learn how to drive.  Again.  Still.  lolz

rct

People from Virginia can’t drive cause all the people that live here are people in the military or military retirees from other states that don’t get snow, so they have no clue how to drive in it. And it only snows here like 3 times a year.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Or any other weather or road conditions.  When we lived down in Lakeridge 87 - 88, 95 was no more than three lanes up to DC, they couldn't drive if they had to.  Today, 95 is 95 lanes almost to Fredericksburg, and still, nobody knows how to drive.  We've overnighted more than one night in 45 of the lower 48, Virginia wins for absolute worst traffic situations.  I expect that before I shuffle off this mortal coil, DC will make it all the way to Richmond.  In fact, today, DC is actually easier to get around than F'burg is to get past.

rct

24 minutes ago, rct said:

Or any other weather or road conditions.  When we lived down in Lakeridge 87 - 88, 95 was no more than three lanes up to DC, they couldn't drive if they had to.  Today, 95 is 95 lanes almost to Fredericksburg, and still, nobody knows how to drive.  We've overnighted more than one night in 45 of the lower 48, Virginia wins for absolute worst traffic situations.  I expect that before I shuffle off this mortal coil, DC will make it all the way to Richmond.  In fact, today, DC is actually easier to get around than F'burg is to get past.

rct

What about the concrete jungle in LA? When I lived in the Bay Area growing up I hated going down to LA. NYC traffic is not a picnic either. Boston blows too.

Being an hour a way from Richmond and my step son lives there, so me and my wife go that way a lot and its one of the few places around here that bands come to play. I hate driving to DC. 3 and a half hours of driving in little to no traffic and then what should be only another half hour of driving turns into 2 more hours of grid lock traffic. I hate VA. DC does have nice museums. There we ended on a + note.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I think a lot of the trouble is there's no high school driver's ed classes anymore.  And haven't been for more than 40 years now here in MI.  They at least gave one a foundation of driving knowledge to build on when driving the first time on Michigan roads in Wintertime.  They can get pretty sloppy and dicey at times.  And "transplants" are a problem too, especially if they come from a state that doesn't get as much snow.  I've about had it with younger people and kids who drive in moderate rainy weather like it's OIL dripping down from the sky instead of water.   Or dunderheads driving 10-15 miles under the limit in the left lane on the freeway.  Just because it's dark. :rolleyes:

As for Petty----

He was OK.  But not a big fan here either.  But I'd say there were plenty I liked a lot less.

Whitefang

On 1/26/2022 at 8:33 AM, rct said:

rct

That's why I take 301 rather than 95 on my way to Mechanicsville or Beaver Dam. Yeah, there are traffic lights but at least there's more scenery and plenty of Sheetz for stopping. Plus on 95 you can be going 80mph in the middle lane and these impatient doosh bags ride up on your @ss like you're going 40.

Edited by saturn

2 hours ago, saturn said:

That's why I take 301 rather than 95 on my way to Mechanicsville or Beaver Dam. Yeah, there are traffic lights but at least there's more scenery and plenty of Sheetz for stopping. Plus on 95 you can be going 80mph in the middle lane and these impatient doosh bags ride up on your @ss like you're going 40.

Man I loved when Sheetz had the fake Jack-In-The-Box tacos (if you know what J-I-T-B is). They don't have them at the one I stop at in between Newport New, VA and Little River, SC.

Take some advice form Gene Simmons from that show Family Jewels and never get gas station sushi. He was busting on his wife and daughter for getting sushi at a gas station, and they got food poisoning.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Man I loved when Sheetz had the fake Jack-In-The-Box tacos (if you know what J-I-T-B is). They don't have them at the one I stop at in between Newport New, VA and Little River, SC.

Take some advice form Gene Simmons from that show Family Jewels and never get gas station sushi. He was busting on his wife and daughter for getting sushi at a gas station, and they got food poisoning.

We usually stop at the one right over the Nice Bridge or another one a few more miles past. My wife loves their subs on a pretzel bun. 🙂 

15 minutes ago, Tman said:

The 101 to the 405....I'm just happy to make it out alive.... 

We've been on bits of the 101.  Your traffic out there is insane.

15 minutes ago, Tman said:

Did you move from The Jersey Shore to Florida (I'm way behind, apologies). 

No need to apologize.  We're in the midst of being ready to make preparations to start getting ready to move to Florida.

rct

Fantastic, enjoy! All of my Jersey friends out here ( a good number) have parents who live in Florida. 😁 Someone will say that about you in 25 years.

btw just curious, were you part of the great resignation of the pandemic? I was. Feels cathartic.

Edited by Tman

23 hours ago, Tman said:

Fantastic, enjoy! All of my Jersey friends out here ( a good number) have parents who live in Florida. 😁 Someone will say that about you in 25 years.

btw just curious, were you part of the great resignation of the pandemic? I was. Feels cathartic.

No, I retired the year before.  I can imagine if you were able to do that it must feel really good.

rct

Hey RCT, from one Jersey guy to another, you'll love Florida.  My sister lives in Altamont Springs, a great city.  I retired a few years ago, and I'm waiting for the wife to retire, not sure where we want to be, even though NJ has a lot to offer (nothing against the other 49):   

Several weeks in the summer of 100 + degree weather, Several weeks in the winter of single digit (and low teen)  weather, Several weeks in the winter of single digit (and low teen)  weather, Hurricanes (Sandy & Ida really kicked our a$$),   The occasional earthquake,  A plague of locust every 17 years, the cicadas this year were ungodly.   All kidding aside, enjoy your new home, Florida is definitely on our radar.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Edited by CNJ