Gibson Brands Forums

Memories of Keith Emerson: Friends pay tribute to Emo

jaxson50

I read this article today and found the different stories very entertaining, some great back stories and insights into Emerson's relationship with other great artist. So I just wanted to share. 

He looked to his Leslie speakers to throw his knives - this guy’s eyes opened wide when he saw the knives fly in his direction. The guy was Jimi Hendrix"

https://www.musicradar.com/news/keith-emerson-tributes-keyboards-knives-hendrix

I saw the Nice a few times in '69 and then ELP at IOW 1970.  Fabulous, just amazing; I was 15-16.

A great regret that I didn't go to the Nice reunion gig around 2000. 

Sad about Emerson. Great shame.

• Like 2

Skunk Baxter wrote

"I took my parents on that trip; my Dad was a historian, and was in WWII, and Keith was into those things so they really hit it off. We were making good money for the gigs so I asked Michael if he could find a bunch of kids from an orphanage and we’d take them to Disneyland, Tokyo, to give something back.

"I have two favourite images from that day. One was the 'Ox', John Entwistle, standing there with six kids crawling all over him, and loving it. And the same about Keith: he really spent time with the kids and you could see how much he was into making them happy.

That must have been something those kids will never forget 

Six degrees of separation:

ELP - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer knew the guys in

ELO - Electric Light Orchestra, who often rode in an

ELevator - Conveyance that takes you up or brings you down, much like the music of

ELvis Presley - Who had a top ten song on the pop charts in June of 1961, which was  the birth year and month of

EL DeBarge - Musician, producer, who played piano and keyboards, just like

Keith Emerson of ELP. 

It's almost scary. 
I'm gonna shut up now. 
😑

depositphotos_60545361-stock-photo-worri

On 3/12/2022 at 2:59 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

ELO or ELP?

It was a type o, probably this FRIGGING android tablet that thinks it knows what I want to type.

But technically,  I saw both ELO and ELP  at the place , but on different dates, so maybe it was a cosmic brain fart , or was it the NSA trying the infiltrate the forum and cause civil discontent? 

Hmmm

Edited by jaxson50
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was lucky enough to catch ELP at the peak for them, outside in Toronto with a warm wind blowing thru the miks, a true exp and the knives in the rockin organ were stunnung theatre that still brings a smile .

• Like 1

I never saw NICE, but heard of them much earlier than ELP,  and of course, was an instant fan.  And I still hold ELP in high regard since it was at the one and only time I saw them live that I was introduced to The Mahavishnu Orchestra, who opened for them.  What a GREAT night of music that was!  And Keith's use of electronic instrumentation induced me to look further into all that and to discover others, some who were into it long before Keith (like Karlheinz Stockhausen for one) and some extraordinary audio experiences. 

And Keith was one of a kind, and will never be matched for many years to come.

Whitefang

• Like 2