Gibson Brands Forums

Epi wanted for a newbie as a gift

Rabs

Cool she knows SKA . Really nice guitar she can grow with and be proud of.... 50 years from now when she tells us what her first guitar was !!    Seriously - let us know how she progresses.  Good age to start.  Nice short nails... but she may want to have long ones in a couple of years: the bane of girls and guitars!   

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Cool she knows SKA . Really nice guitar she can grow with and be proud of.... 50 years from now when she tells us what her first guitar was !!    Seriously - let us know how she progresses.  Good age to start.  Nice short nails... but she may want to have long ones in a couple of years: the bane of girls and guitars!   

Yeah thats why I took the picture..  It would be cool if I had that sort of photo memories when I first started..  Even though in saying that I actually know where my very first guitar is..  A cheap ten quid nylon that I gave to a friend of mine years and years ago when he wanted to learn.. He still has it and uses it to entertain his young boy  🙂 

• 11 months later...

Ok I thought id continue this thread in here..  As it is a continuation of Betssie's story.

So she is still practicing and playing. I havent managed to get her to have a lesson with me yet even though I have offered many times. But its her birthday again soon and she does want an electric guitar. So I said I would by her a cheap one to start with and as we all know cheaper guitars are pretty good these days AND I will build her, her own one too so she has something that is unique to her 🙂 

I was also really chuffed as I saw her tonight and she was listening to AC/DC Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and wearing a Nirvana t-shirt  😄 Awesome..  

I got her to look at guitars and see what shapes she likes and tonight she showed me ones she has been looking at.. Not PRS but not Gibson.  She has been looking at theses. Schecter guitars. Doesnt like Les Pauls at all but does like SG shapes.. And she wants a red one.... So like last time we will go to the shop in a week or so and pick a good one out for her. It does make me happy shes getting in to all this BUT she is still young and it may be a phase.. Still, we are going in the right direction at the moment.  Also I guess I will have to work out a good amp for her too. Being young she might like the modelling amps as you can control it from your phone and all kids are on their phones all the time these days..

SCHECTER

Edited by Rabs
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Hmmm SG's,   The SG Standard and the SG Classic both have 2-piece mahogany bodies with no veneer and an improved longer neck Trunnion that defeats neck dive.

__static.gibson.com_product-images_Epiph__static.gibson.com_product-images_Epiph

I think at the end of the day as much as I may like to think I know better, she has to chose the guitar herself. No one really knows what they like till they have some experience..   I could save her a lot of time and buy her a semi hollow but theres no way she will appreciate that I dont think. I will just make sure its a decent guitar and give it a good set up.. The rest is up to her really.

11 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I think at the end of the day as much as I may like to think I know better, she has to chose the guitar herself. No one really knows what they like till they have some experience..   I could save her a lot of time and buy her a semi hollow but theres no way she will appreciate that I dont think. I will just make sure its a decent guitar and give it a good set up.. The rest is up to her really.

As it should be.... 😃

9 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

As it should be.... 😃

The thing is, she hasnt ever really heard me play yet.  When we bought the acoustic I was having real issues with my hands and didnt play it much.

This time and now knowing what music she likes. I think she will be quite impressed when I demo it for her..  Not saying that im a great player but I can bash out some good AC/DC and Metallica  😄  

17 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Hmmm SG's,   The SG Standard and the SG Classic both have 2-piece mahogany bodies with no veneer and an improved longer neck Trunnion that defeats neck dive.

__static.gibson.com_product-images_Epiph__static.gibson.com_product-images_Epiph

That top one definitely has a veneer but you’re probably talking about a different model 

Those Schecters are really nice for the money. With uncle Rabs there to address any set up issues it should be very playable

18 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

That top one definitely has a veneer but you’re probably talking about a different model 

Those Schecters are really nice for the money. With uncle Rabs there to address any set up issues it should be very playable

To me it looks like SG Standards woodgrain is blending into the bevel

22071531666-body-large.jpg

anyway since 2020 the SG Standard and its cousin the SG Classic (which I own) are built with the same body & neck design with mahogany in 2 pieces, split right dow the middle and no veneer.

The Classic and the Standard are the only ones out of all the SG models built by Epiphone that use this design, with the longer neck Trunnion and no veneer.

below on the left is my SG Classic mentioned above and on the right my Wilshire, also built of 2 pieces of mahogany and no veneer.

5pAZC8q.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

Glad she is still pursuing the guitar. Is she still taking lessons at school? Does she practice a lot? You're a good uncle for doing this. I have an awesome relationship with one of my nephews and a niece. I talk to them at least once or twice a week, and we do quite a few things together. I like how they can talk with me about anything.

5 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Glad she is still pursuing the guitar. Is she still taking lessons at school? Does she practice a lot? You're a good uncle for doing this. I have an awesome relationship with one of my nephews and a niece. I talk to them at least once or twice a week, and we do quite a few things together. I like how they can talk with me about anything.

Yeah shes been doing lessons at school and practicing at home..  As said I have offered lessons a few times but she hasnt taken me up on that yet..  Maybe when we buy the guitar, I will at the very least show her how to do a power chord.

I have an okish relationship with her.. She doesnt want to hang about with me (she did when she was younger) but we talk ok. 

I also just went and bought her one of the limited edition Brian May mini amp things. Comes with  a box and a keyring and stuff.. Queen apparently is her favourite. Its probably a little over the top but of course I want to encourage her as much as I can..

voxapbmset__69924.1680692570.jpg?c=1?imb

Edited by Rabs

Uncle Rabs....VERY nice.  That amp will sing when you show her some power chords. It's great that she likes bands like AC/DC and Queen. I've been a huge Queen fan my whole life. I saw them in concert 3 times, the first show was in 1976, I was 13. 

I got a new Vox AC10C1 last week, it really sounds good. I love the tone. 

3 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

Uncle Rabs....VERY nice.  That amp will sing when you show her some power chords. It's great that she likes bands like AC/DC and Queen. I've been a huge Queen fan my whole life. I saw them in concert 3 times, the first show was in 1976, I was 13. 

I got a new Vox AC10C1 last week, it really sounds good. I love the tone. 

Well at this stage in my life its VERY unlikely I will have my own kids so its nice to have someone to do stuff like this for and that shes in to it at all. Maybe it will help make us a bit closer..  But hey shes a teenager..  They do their own thing. I dont take it personally  😄  

I have a nephew I bought for at her age. The first thing I considered was which hand, left or right. I started him on an acoustic from guitar center, a Yamaha F335TB ( Tobacco sunburst).  It's a sound, easy to fret right out of the box and has an excellent sound. He wound up being a lefty. I flipped it and it was still great sounding, no intonation problems. He took lessons with it in school. He stayed with it and his grandparents got him an electric when he got into high school. I bought for my grandson (12 yrs old now) a squire strat mustang bullit( he didn't stay with it. Maybe one day he might pick it up again). The main thing I had to consider was the weight factor of the electric because they are gonna want to stand up and play like their idols! Anything uncomfortable to them is a big deterrent. The biggest hurdle with anyone  young or old  is the finger pain as you well know.  Hope she stays with it!

Edited by the other side

11 minutes ago, the other side said:

I have a nephew I bought for at her age. The first thing I considered was which hand, left or right. I started him on an acoustic from guitar center, a Yamaha F335TB ( Tobacco sunburst).  It's a sound, easy to fret right out of the box and has an excellent sound. He wound up being a lefty. I flipped it and it was still great sounding, no intonation problems. He took lessons with it in school. He stayed with it and his grandparents got him an electric when he got into high school. I bought for my grandson (12 yrs old now) a squire strat mustang bullit. The main thing I had to consider was the weight factor of the electric because they are gonna want to stand up and play like their idols! Anything uncomfortable to them is a big deterrent. Hope she stays with it!

Cheers and yes I also hope she stays with it. I know what playing guitar and music in general has done for me and really hope its not a phase but something that stays with her, her whole life like it has done for me and many other people. 

And yes, thats why I will go to the shop and let her choose rather than just buying a random cheap guitar.. As you say, it has to be comfortable to play in the first place to help encourage more playing. Oh, and also apparently she wants a red one too. Id get her a Red Special but its just a bit OTT for a first timer I think (about £900 new for one of those).

Edited by Rabs

6 hours ago, Rabs said:

Well at this stage in my life its VERY unlikely I will have my own kids so its nice to have someone to do stuff like this for and that shes in to it at all.  😄 

I still think the Slash Les Paul looks nice. Just sayin'. Little Orphan Pinch. 

• Haha 1

Not sure if this has been said, but a standard type LP might be a little heavy for her. I'd go second hand and get either a Epi Special II or an LP100 as they are both a slimmer body and if you find a good one they are exceptionally good guitars for the price. Some of the 90's LP100's are incredibly good. 

38 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Maybe a Billie Joe Player Pack

__static.gibson.com_product-images_Epiph

Nah.. She doesnt seem to like LP shapes...  The one she picked out herself is a super strat and I actually have one of those...

The thing is it belonged to a friend of mine that passed away... So I am not sure I want to or not. Also she seems to really want a red guitar...

So while I am sure she would appreciate anything I give or buy her. I also want her to have that NGD feeling when you see something nice and shiny in a shop and bring it home and unbox it..  But maybe that can be for later if she really gets in to it all and buys one for herself..

This is the one I have. I know she really likes the shape.. And strangely enough her acoustic is an Ibanez too... Maybe its meant to be??

M5v4hJ3.jpg

Edited by Rabs

39 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Nah.. She doesnt seem to like LP shapes...  The one she picked out herself is a supe strat ad I actually have one of those...

The thing is it belonged to a friend of mine that passed away... So I am not sure I want to or not. Also she seems to really want a red guitar...

So while I am sure she would appreciate anything I give or buy her. I also want her to have that NGD feeling when you see something nice and shiny in a shop and bring it home and unbox it..  But maybe that can be for later if she really gets in to it all and buys one for herself..

This is the one I have. I know she really likes the shape.. And strangely enough her acoustic is an Ibanez too... Maybe its meant to be??

M5v4hJ3.jpg

The Ibanez Rocks. But do you want to start her on a tremolo guitar? between the Kramer and the Ibanez I think I would chose the lighter one. Also there is a lot to be said about getting a brand new guitar.

Edited by mihcmac

7 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The Ibanez Rocks. But do you want to start her on a tremolo guitar? between the Kramer and the Ibanez I think I would chose the lighter one. Also there is a lot to be said about getting a brand new guitar.

I am asking myself the same questions..  I think theres nothing quite like a brand new guitar is there..  I have many guitars and she will be welcome to have them all one day if she enjoys it and keeps playing, So maybe I should just leave that for another day?

Hard to know what to do in these situations isnt it. Its a balance of wanting to help her but also knowing that really its best for her to make these decisions herself. Im quite glad I am not a parent and dont have to make these sorts of decisions on a daily basis...

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

I am asking myself the same questions..  I think theres nothing quite like a brand new guitar is there..  I have many guitars and she will be welcome to have them all one day if she enjoys it and keeps playing, So maybe I should just leave that for another day?

Hard to know what to do in these situations isnt it. Its a balance of wanting to help her but also knowing that really its best for her to make these decisions herself. Im quite glad I am not a parent and dont have to make these sorts of decisions on a daily basis...

Of course if you get into a Brain Stew   Billie also was fond of Strats.