Gibson Brands Forums

Duane Eddy Signature

PhilUK

I think it's one of these (NOT my guitar BTW!) -

GibsonDuaneEddy1.jpg

Supposedly a very fancy L5 with - among other things - a piezo pickup in the bridge and "King Of Twang" inscribed on the TRC.  From about 2006? There were going to be more than they made, but the famous Gibson flood put paid to that and only 75 (?)  were completed.  The pic and info come from ebay over 10 yrs ago.    Notice the blank fields in the little black book.

These come up very occasionally.  Highly collectable!

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

Don't know of anyone that owns one and I never saw one in person.  Not sure how closely related they were to L5s.  I had an L5 which I believe might be a slightly deeper body depth, no Bigsby, mine had 57 Classic pickups, no master volume, different treatment at the end of the fingerboard, solid maple back and sides with spruce top, fully hollow, different tuners and headstock inlays.  Here is a photo of my L5 for comparison - will be interesting to see if any other owners of the Duane guitars respond.

GMfLe29.jpg?1

Thanks to JDGM for an ad with some specs.  It's shaped like an L5, but that's about where the similarity ends.  All solid maple (back, sides and top), lower bout an inch smaller than an L5, no center block, what would appear to be a master volume is really a blend knob for the piezo, single coil custom Seymour Duncan pickups, slim neck profile.  

I have been a Duane Eddy fan for a lot of years and this is certainly a cool guitar, and not very many around.

Thanks for your replies up to now, guys. 

Up to now, apart from the one on Reverb, every other is M. I. A. 

To answer previous questions. 

Yes, it's hollow bodied. 

Top knob is master volume. 

Looking at the photo, the lower four controls are :

the top two controls  are bridge and neck volume. 

the lower left is the master tone control

the lower right has dual functions of pulling up to bring in the bridge acoustic piezo pickup and then it acts as its  volume control. 

Lots of blending capability there. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
19 hours ago, REddy038 said:

My assumption is Gibson used a stamp for the serial number is that that may be the way they marked them in the past? Not sure. 

I'm sure that is why, but it just looks so tacky and cheap on what is a really expensive guitar. I had the ink stamp on my LP Classic with the snot green inlays. Never liked it. The cheesy stamp that is.

This is the stamper for expensive guitars?

Ac4wLmY.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

35 minutes ago, jvi said:

dont look tacky or cheap to me, nice git.

The guitar certainly does not, the whopping 3 cents they spent to ink stamp, I am assuming a guitar that cost several thousands of dollars certainly does, to me at least. And I can't remember if the stamp is under the nitro or not, but if it isn't, how hard is it to whip that serial number off?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I'm hoping from some help from some likeminded people like my dad.

PhilUK passed away last year and neither my siblings or me play the guitar. Is reverb the best place to get this new guitar a home with someone who will appreciate it please?

Thank you both - I appreciate your thoughts - and your advice. We’re above Manchester so I’m going to have a  proper look at Reverb and Fretboard and see which works best for us. 

Thanks again. 

38 minutes ago, KP1 said:

Thank you both - I appreciate your thoughts - and your advice. We’re above Manchester so I’m going to have a  proper look at Reverb and Fretboard and see which works best for us. 

Thanks again. 

Don't forget eBay. They only charge 7% commission, give the seller great shipping discounts and will handle international sales. I used to use Reverb, but since they got bought out a few years ago their commission is around 10% and no breaks on the shipping. I quit using them. It's definitely not the same company Chicago Music Exchange set up years ago.

Edited by Dave F

Thanks Dave,

I've also found sellusyourguitar.co.uk and as I'm apprehensive about how to ship a guitar I'm going to see what they say too.  I hadn't thought of eBay - I'll have a look.