Gibson Brands Forums

To pickguard or not to pickguard, that is the question

egoidealmusic

He folks,

So I Just recieved this fantastic LG-2 American Eagle.  Seems as if it was never played--not even a hint of a dent on the 3rd fret--and it sounds fantastic.  I love the look of it without a pickguard (not sure if the pic does it justice but the wood is gorgeous), but I'm a pretty heavy strummer and I'm worried about chewing through it quickly, so I'm wondering if you folks would recommend adding a pickguard.  And, if so, just for shits and giggles, what kind you would add.  I think Salfromchatham added a batwing style guard which I love, but I've also seen some with the traditional Gibson teardrop style.  And yes, I realize this is a bees nest I'm opening up and I'm ok with that!

American Eagle smaller.jpg

• Like 1

Looks perfectly balanced and graceful.  I wouldn't install, and just pulled the cheezy Martin guard off my 0-18.  Plays better already.  I wish I could pull all my guards.

Edited by jedzep

That's how I'm leaning too, RBSinTo.  I've got some tiger stripe material so I could make my own, but I think it would be way too flashy for the simple look of this guitar.  And I'd love to leave it totally clean, jedzep, but like I said I've chewed through into the wood on my J in about 6 months.  Am I too hard a strummer?  Probably.  Should I try to be easier?  Probably.  Is it going to happen at this point in my life?  Highly unlikely.  Hence the need for a guard! 🙃

Of course, I don't care about resale value, so maybe I should just let it wear in to my strumming style!

It looks so right without a guard and I was close to suggesting to keep it clean. Then read you are one serious strummer and concluded : Pickguard needed.

Very simple.

The tiger-stripes sound like a good idea. Are they too 'loud'. Not if you yourself is a loud player. Have fun deciding. 

Thanks for the thoughts, E-minor7.  It's a pretty red tiger stripe (or firestripe) from Stewmac, and that's my main concern that the red would be a bit too loud as opposed to the more yellow tiger stripe you see elsewhere.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/materials/pickguard-materials/acoustic-pickguard-blanks

I made a pickguard for my all solid Recording King parlor guitar, but that sunburst is pretty red so it works really well.  I just don't want to detract from the nicely aged looking natural top of this LG-2.

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:
35 minutes ago, egoidealmusic said:

That's how I'm leaning too, RBSinTo.  I've got some tiger stripe material so I could make my own, but I think it would be way too flashy for the simple look of this guitar.  And I'd love to leave it totally clean, jedzep, but like I said I've chewed through into the wood on my J in about 6 months.  Am I too hard a strummer?  Probably.  Should I try to be easier?  Probably.  Is it going to happen at this point in my life?  Highly unlikely.  Hence the need for a guard! 🙃

Of course, I don't care about resale value, so maybe I should just let it wear in to my strumming style!

There is a certain wonderful simplicity to spruce-topped guitars without pickguards, but if you are a hard strummer. So unless you aspire to have Trigger 2.0, I suggest you apply a guard.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

I had a Custom 0000-28 Martin all koa body shown below that I did not want to hide but didn't want to damage. I put a clear static guard that worked fine.

How's that Sarge? I mention Martin and Taylor on a Gibson thread 🙂

If interested, I have an unused batwing guard that came with a CJ165. 

martin M Koa

51586329003_12ac1af6d5_b.jpg51586328928_47e2d5ae58_b.jpg

https://www.zzounds.com/item--TAYSUPG?siid=285453&gclid=CjwKCAjwur-SBhB6EiwA5sKtjtSmH7HE21QzjnNuMtALCiArKT6oQTQxTna1RfXUr4qhSGhP7DQ50xoCyxYQAvD_BwE

TW-7304-PG-Static-Universal-04_821161-c2

2 hours ago, egoidealmusic said:

Thanks for the thoughts, E-minor7.  It's a pretty red tiger stripe (or firestripe) from Stewmac, and that's my main concern that the red would be a bit too loud as opposed to the more yellow tiger stripe you see elsewhere.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/materials/pickguard-materials/acoustic-pickguard-blanks

I made a pickguard for my all solid Recording King parlor guitar, but that sunburst is pretty red so it works really well.  I just don't want to detract from the nicely aged looking natural top of this LG-2.

To be frank, it's a bit dangerous. Mainly because the guitar itself is so pure and innocent. Look forward to see what happens. 

But now we're there, can I ask : Are those Stewmac blanks pixelated or organic ?

E-minor7 they seem pretty organic to me--no complaints about the texture of the pattern, only saying that it's a lot more red than the Gibson fire stripe (or tiger stripe or whatever).  That is, it's a beautiful pattern, I just worry that it wouldn't look good with this natural top with how red the stripe is.  Like I said, with a redder sunburst like there is on the RK it looks great, but I'm concered it would be way too orange on this guitar.

You're right,  Ego, and any deviation from the brown tone of the fingerboard and bridge will draw you eye to the contrast. 

Having owned 50's era models of this guitar, these, and really no guitar, should be subjected to strumming that's reckless enough to scar it.  At that point you would be driving it past it's tonal efficiency zone.  Maybe, keep your abused dread for 'bashing', and customize your strum attack a little.

I have this custom Greven firestripe guard matched to the wood on my '36 L00 restoration, but still hesitate attaching it.  Maybe a guard is useful to cover damage after the fact.

The little teardrops Martin puts on their OMs seems understated enough  to not detract too much from the simple grace, in which case I'd go to Taylor at Holter guards to get a nice beveled custom.

By the way, where did you buy an LG w/o an attached guard, and isn't that an LG-3 by virtue of it's natural finish?
FLMK8lg.jpg
eoaN0VK.jpg

Edited by jedzep

I can't decide.

I considered removing the guard on my J-15, because I like the look and was curious if it would change the tone / power, but I never did it and I fear it's been in the sun too much to do it now.

Color me undecided.

It would be an LG-3 back in the day, but it's a 2014 American Eagle LG-2--the sunburst version is the Americana.  Doing some research it seems there were two versions of the American Eagle: one without a pickguard with vintage style white button tuners and one wtih a teardrop guard with all metal tuners--not sure which came first.  I got it at Reverb for less than $1500 and, like I mentioned, it seems that it was barely played since it came off the factory floor 8 years ago.