Gibson Brands Forums

dismiss in formation

Sort of digressing from main topic here...

The newest (?) Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV has knobs that mark up to 12.  I tried it out and it got real loud past something like 2! 

I bought one of these a few years ago.  I hated it.  It had this weird sound that came from the speakers when playing 100% clean at some volume that was "comfortable" - i.e. maybe set to 3 or 4.  I turned it in and tried another.  Same issue.  Tried again, same thing on the display model.  The cabinets are crap and the speaker is crap - for something around the $700 range...  I think it was something like "cone cry"...  Not a huge speaker guy - i just buy the amp and plug them in to make noise the household and neighbors hate when I want to get into a fight with them, haha!  But I gave up on this pile of trash and went with a Mesa Fillmore 50 combo.  It cost more, but way better.  It was a hot-rodded Fender HRD basically.  No regrets at all... 

Fillmore 50 - Nice rock tone, very good cleans...  It sounds great with an extension cab to get a more full sound- especially when it is a closed cab.  So the rig is an open-back combo with a closed cab extension speaker.  Interesting sound and PLENTY loud.  No cone cry going on here.  I think that was the last time I entertain getting a "midgrade" Fender amp.  I didn't want to go with the other Fender amps because I wanted an effects loop - something the HRD has. 

1 hour ago, NighthawkChris said:

Sort of digressing from main topic here...

The newest (?) Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV has knobs that mark up to 12.  I tried it out and it got real loud past something like 2! 

I bought one of these a few years ago.  I hated it.  Ithad this weird sound that came from the speakers when playing 100% clean at some volume that was "comfortable" - i.e. maybe set to 3 or 4.  I turned it in and tried another.  Same issue.  Tried again, same thing on the display model.  The cabinets are crap and the speaker is crap - for something around the $700 range...  I think it was something like "cone cry"...  Not a huge speaker guy - i just buy the amp and plug them in to make noise the household and neighbors hate when I want to get into a fight with them, haha!  But I gave up on this pile of trash and went with a Mesa Fillmore 50 combo.  It cost more, but way better.  It was a hot-rodded Fender HRD basically.  No regrets at all... 

Fillmore 50 - Nice rock tone, very good cleans...  It sounds great with an extension cab to get a more full sound- especially when it is a closed cab.  So the rig is an open-back combo with a closed cab extension speaker.  Interesting sound and PLENTY loud.  No cone cry going on here.  I think that was the last time I entertain getting a "midgrade" Fender amp.  I didn't want to go with the other Fender amps because I wanted an effects loop - something the HRD has. 

When I was an electric guy, after I got an amp, I bought Weber speakers for them.  Those 40 and 60 watt Fender tube amps are crazy loud. A Blues Jr at 15w is more than enough. 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I was an electric guy, after I got an amp, I bought Weber speakers for them.  Those 40 and 60 watt Fender tube amps are crazy loud. A Blues Jr at 15w is more than enough. 

You ain’t lying. They are in my opinion beside the HRD a good amp to choose. But if it weren’t for the effects loop I needed I might have considered a nice Fender amp. 

Another good amp that I would consider replacing the speaker in is my Peavey Classic 30. It’s not the best sounding amp but does the job. It comes with some Blue Marvel crap lol! I’ve heard that it’s sort of a pain to get the speaker out of but once you replace it, you should be happy if you bought a good speaker for it. I’ve read a lot of the Classic 30 mod threads online and apparently, there are a few. But a good mid-grade amp IMHO. Just reliable to always turn on and not deal with funny business when you get to the gig. 

I just want something light. I used to use a Selmer Treble & Bass 50 wt head with a homemade 4 x 12" (Goodmans) speaker cab. It was a wonder I could still father a child after lugging that about.

A couple of times in recent years I considered just plugging the signal processor into the PA. 

When I was first in Blown Out we just hired a sound engineer to provide and run pretty much the whole rig. He would get there ahead of the gig & set up. We would turn up & plug in a do a sound test. He would sit at his desk & monitor levels. Trouble is he cost most of our gig money...

• 2 weeks later...