Gibson Brands Forums

British Comedies

Sgt. Pepper

So in 1979 my aunt, uncle and cousin came out to California to visit. My cousin who was 3 years older that me introduced me to Monty Pythons Flying Circus. It was on KQED channel 9 out of SF on public TV. I somehow "got it",  and have loved Brit Comedy every since. So what are some good ones I may know know about. I've seen - The Young Ones, Black Adder, Ab Fab, Fawlty Towers, Ripping Yarns ect ect. 

Any suggestion from the guys or girls across the Pond?

My gf in the 80s and I used to watch British comedies on PBS on Friday nights. The Good Neighbors, To the Manor Bourne, Are you being Served, and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (probably my favorite). There was another one about a young guy teaching English to some immigrants, can’t recall the name.  I’d like to watch some of them again but now I’d need subtitles. 

Ha... That is all so old school..  And most of them were REALLY racist as sexist..  But yes.. Still funny 🙂 ..  Sorta like the old Carry on Films..  

I think that show you are talking about was called Mind Your Language...  

32 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So in 1979 my aunt, uncle and cousin came out to California to visit. My cousin who was 3 years older that me introduced me to Monty Pythons Flying Circus. It was on KQED channel 9 out of SF on public TV. I somehow "got it",  and have loved Brit Comedy every since. So what are some good ones I may know know about. I've seen - The Young Ones, Black Adder, Ab Fab, Fawlty Towers, Ripping Yarns ect ect. 

Any suggestion from the guys or girls across the Pond?

Only Fools and Horses is classic...  Hmm  Steptoe and Son (thats REALLY old)...  There are newer ones too like Catherine Tate... Ohh 90s ones.. Harry Enfield, The Fast Show...  Allan Partridge I think is as classic as Fawlty Towers  and you haveThe League of Gentlemen..  Really dark humour..

Edited by Rabs

3 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

My gf in the 80s and I used to watch British comedies on PBS on Friday nights. The Good Neighbors, To the Manor Bourne, Are you being Served, and The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (probably my favorite). There was another one about a young guy teaching English to some immigrants, can’t recall the name.  I’d like to watch some of them again but now I’d need subtitles. 

Never seen The Good Neighbors, or Manor Bourne. Seen Are You Being Served, and it never did anything for me. Never seen Reginald either. Will have to go to YT and watch a clip or two.

Wasn't there a show on Brit TV that was a parody of a kids science show? I watched one episode and it was funny. I think I saw one or two episodes of Only Fools And Horses. The IT Crowd had a few good seasons.  I think there was a really dark animated show with Monkey in the title maybe. I saw an episode with a guy who bounces on a ball and goes to prison. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wasn't there a show on Brit TV that was a parody of a kids science show? I watched one episode and it was funny. I think I saw one or two episodes of Only Fools And Horses. The IT Crowd had a few good seasons. 

Dont know about the parody kids science show..  I have never watched them but theres also Gavin & Stacey and one called Spaced with Simon Pegg which people always go on about.

Just now, Rabs said:

Dont know about the parody kids science show..  I have never watched them but theres also Gavin & Stacey and one called Spaced with Simon Pegg which people always go on about.

I watched G & S. I liked that one. I saw one where the guy was a roadie and now he is an exterminator. My wife and I have the Xmas classic Danger In The Manger 2. The kids auditioning for the Xmas show in the beginning makes me pee my pants.

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just looked it up and the science parody is called "Look Around You".

Hmm.. Thats a new one on me but maybe a bit before my time (or when I would have been interested in watching something like that)....  But its not a parody..  Thats what all documentaries and factual programs sounded like probably up until some time in the 80s.... 

3 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Hmm.. Thats a new one on me but maybe a bit before my time (or when I would have been interested in watching something like that)....  But its not a parody..  Thats what all documentaries and factual programs sounded like probably up until some time in the 80s.... 

The Net says it has 2 season and 15 episodes and first aired in October 2002.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Look_Around_You

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

The Net says it has 2 season and 15 episodes and first aired in October 2002.

Lol really...  Maybe it is then and I just saw the wrong clip on youtube.. Not something I have heard of before.

20 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I've seen a few clip on YT of SSS. Never seen the one with Ms. Tate. I must have seen her in a Brit Comedy or two. After the Young Ones made their mark, the next one - Filthy, Rich, and Catflap was a disaster. Bottom was a lot funnier with Rik and Adrian. Christopher Ryan made a cameo or two in Bottom. Mr. Bean was funny, but I can only take it in small doses.

10 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I have always enjoyed Red Dwarf, Hitch Hikers, Monty, Dr Who and so on. Great for late night TV.

My wife likes the Dr. Who stuff. It's not for me. Every episode he seems to save the galaxy with some weird screwdriver thing. Couldn't we save an hour of our time, and he just use it in the first 5 mins?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

24 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My wife likes the Dr. Who stuff. It's not for me. Every episode he seems to save the galaxy with some weird screwdriver thing. Couldn't we save an hour of our time, and he just use it in the first 5 mins?

I first started watching DR Who when I was in grade school, Captain Kangaroo played episodes, I was also watching Soupy Sales with White Fang and Black Tooth at the time. Dr Who is one of the longest running shows in history on TV. I really got hooked in the 80's with Tom Baker playing on PBS. 🤡

Edited by mihcmac

9 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I first started watching DR Who when I was in grade school, Captain Kangaroo played episodes, I was also watching Soupy Sales with White Fang and Black Tooth at the time. Dr Who is one of the longest running shows in history on TV. I really got hooked in the 80's with Tom Baker playing on PBS. 🤡

I remember Soupy. Yeah the Dr. can regenerate, at first it was only a certain number of times, and now something happened and he/she can do it past the original number of times.  They have a loyal fan base, and my wife likes, is it David Tennant, and she liked the Dr. who had a bow tie too. My wife being a girl, go figure, loves the fact the current Dr. is a woman. 

4 minutes ago, jdgm said:

As good as (or better than) than Spinal Tap;

I've seen a episode of that a while ago. I need to go back and watch all of it. That came out it '83 and Spinal Tap in '84. Did Rob Reiner steal the idea from this?

40 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I remember Soupy. Yeah the Dr. can regenerate, at first it was only a certain number of times, and now something happened and he/she can do it past the original number of times.  They have a loyal fan base, and my wife likes, is it David Tennant, and she liked the Dr. who had a bow tie too. My wife being a girl, go figure, loves the fact the current Dr. is a woman. 

The BBC relaunched DR Who with a much larger budget in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston then regenerated into David Tennant who had a good run, then regenerated into my favorite Matt Smith and more budget. The Peter Capaldi generation had interesting scripts, then the 13th DR could have been Jenna Coleman (the "impossible girl" who turned out too part doctor anyway) but generated into Jodie Whittaker.

Edited by mihcmac

2 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

The BBC relaunched DR Who with a much larger budget in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston then regenerated into David Tennant who had a good run, then regenerated into my favorite Matt Smith and more budget. The Peter Capaldi generation had interesting scripts, then the 13th DR could have been Jenna Coleman but generated into Jodie Whittaker.

I saw a few with Capaldi and even being stoned out of my head did not help me like them.