Gibson Brands Forums

British Comedies

Sgt. Pepper

they've probably been mentioned, but of the older shows The Fall & Rise of Reginald Perrin (series 1) from the 70's, and then The Office (UK) from around 2000, I enjoyed greatly - both of these pretty well summed up my attitude to paid white collar employment [laugh] and were so English in reflecting their respective eras  

I didn’t seek it listed, so I would suggest Still Game.  All episodes are available on NetFlix.  I binge watched the entire series several months back.  It’s a hoot.  Fair warning though: it’s a Scottish series and the actor’s accents were so thick the first couple of seasons, I once resorted to subtitles.  However, the subtitles were for Scottish dialogue which didn’t help much.  After Season 3, it was much easier to follow the dialogue.   Long live “Boabby the Barman.”

Another one worth mentioning but it's a film made in 1985 is Local Hero, starring Burt Lancaster, Peter Capaldi, Peter Riegert, Denis Lawson, Jenny Seagrove, and Jennifer Black.  It's a very gentle subtle comedy and well worth watching.

I never considered LOCAL HERO a British comedy.  Or really as a comedy at all.  Sure it's had it's light moments, but most movie sites categorize it as a drama.

Unlike a lot of Americans I know,  I have no aversion to British humor.   But I really don't go about seeking British comedy movies or television shows.   Unless some word of mouth(and threads like these) point me in the direction of ones to consider.  But then again....

I've seen several movies, British and American,  that attempted to be dramas,  but were so shoddily constructed and  executed they turned out to be some of the funniest movies I've seen.  [wink]

Whitefang

Another one I liked was called “Dad” from early 2000’s.  Starred guy who played Krebbs-first mate to Capt Jack Sparrow, as hapless lead character  caught between his dad and his teenage son.   Best line :   Dad buys some expensive new cologne to up his game.  Asks son how he likes it.  Son says”what’s it called…Feet?” 

• 1 month later...

The original Brit series 'Steptoe & Son' was brilliant - it was re-made in the US as 'Sandford & Son' which I've not seen.

Didn't like the US version of 'The Office' after watching the original but I gave it time and it grew on me.

• 2 weeks later...

Another one is Men Behaving Badly.  I never liked the first series with Harry Enfield (although I normaly like Harry's stuff), but from series 2 onward with the introduction of Neil Morrissey they were rather funny:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Another one is Men Behaving Badly.  I never liked the first series with Harry Enfield (although I normaly like Harry's stuff), but from series 2 onward with the introduction of Neil Morrissey they were rather funny:

I tried watching a few episodes of that and was not a fan.