Gibson Brands Forums

British Comedies

Sgt. Pepper

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw a few with Capaldi and even being stoned out of my head did not help me like them. 

Probably the most interesting Doctors were David Tennant and Matt Smith, but Dr Who is not for everyone.

Edited by mihcmac

49 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I remember Soupy. Yeah the Dr. can regenerate, at first it was only a certain number of times, and now something happened and he/she can do it past the original number of times.  They have a loyal fan base, and my wife likes, is it David Tennant, and she liked the Dr. who had a bow tie too. My wife being a girl, go figure, loves the fact the current Dr. is a woman. 

Only for one more episode..  Also the writers are changing back to the original writers in the next season..

This is the new Doctor Who

Doctor Who': Ncuti Gatwa named as the new Doctor - CNN

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Benny  Hill". 

Very low brow, with lots of farting jokes,  letcherous old men, scantily clad women with big ****, and  very, very funny.

I also used to watch a British comedy series called "Up Pompeii" about the goings on in a Roman household as seen through the eyes of a slave played by Frankie Howerd. Very similar to the antics in the  American movie comedy " A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum" but with British humour.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Very low brow, with lots of farting jokes,  letcherous old men, scantily clad women with big ****, and  very, very funny.

I also used to watch a British comedy series called "Up Pompeii" about the goings on in a Roman household as seen through the eyes of a slave played by Frankie Howerd. Very similar to the antics in the  American movie comedy " A funny thing happened on the way to the Forum" but with British humour.

RBSinTo

I've seen countless episodes of BH. I can hear the theme music in my head right now as I type. With todays PC Police, Cancel Culture-ers, Me Too-ers, Wokies and the like, Benny Hill is not getting made. Also if Mel Brooks wanted to make Blazing Saddles in this day and age, that just would not allowed to be made. 

33 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

RBSinTo

Probably the funniest of the lot, for me anyway. 
🙂

ti110434.jpg

Yeah I'm a huge Monty Python fan. And just about any of the British style humor. I see Red Dwarf was already mentioned. I stumbled across that in the 90s and used to watch it, but my wife didn't like it. 🙂

Although it's not exactly Monty Python or all British, A Fish Called Wanda is still one of my all time favorite comedies.

In Bermuda in the mid 80's we only had television from 6pm to midnight.  Lots of English comedy, most I can't even remember the names of the shows.  Butterflies I remember, couple others mentioned here.  We started watching Python in the mid 70's, late night public television.  That shite still makes me laugh.

rct

Only Fools and Horses, which Rabs has already mentioned, is my favorite of all.  Others I have enjoyed that haven't been mentioned yet are On the Busses, Only When I Laugh, Open All Hours (and Still Open All Hours), Hugh and I and Home to Roost.  I'm currently watching Goodnight Sweetheart which is a science fiction comedy about a man who can time travel between the 1940s and modern day (1990s).  It's been pretty good so far.  Just finished watching the series Big School which only lasted 2 seasons.  I think it aired in 2016.

13 hours ago, rct said:

In Bermuda in the mid 80's we only had television from 6pm to midnight.  Lots of English comedy, most I can't even remember the names of the shows.  Butterflies I remember, couple others mentioned here.  We started watching Python in the mid 70's, late night public television.  That shite still makes me laugh.

rct

I though you were a British Baking Show guy? And don't you have a man crush on that guy who plays Dr. Strange?

• Haha 2

I don't think anyone's mentioned Car Share by Peter Kay. Anything Peter has done is always hillarious including his stand up comedy shows, you should check out his mi heared lyrics sketch on Youtube if you havn't already seen it.

44 minutes ago, duane v said:

I have found that the Brit comedians have a much better delivery and material . Todays US comedians are boring and kinda vulgar.

I think to a large extent the golden era of British comedy shows has past, everyone is terrified of offending someon now.

35 minutes ago, duane v said:

I have found that the Brit comedians have a much better delivery and material . Todays US comedians are boring and kinda vulgar.

And consider....  Some Brit comics can get way "off color"( or, colour, if you will [wink])  without appearing really vulgar.  Like THIS guy------

3 hours ago, IanHenry said:

I think to a large extent the golden era of British comedy shows has past, everyone is terrified of offending someon now.

I’m not. I just know I’ll get the boot if I cross a line. I’ve crossed it a few times and went to guitar jail. But terrified about it, not in the least. Most here long enough know my track record.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m not.

Maybe you should try a TV show called Little Britain...  Just full of offensive stereotypes.. 

After that they did one called Come Fly With Me which was a parody of an airport documentary show.

Edited by Rabs

8 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Maybe you should try a TV show called Little Britain...  Just full of offensive stereotypes.. 

After that they did one called Come Fly With Me which was a parody of an airport documentary show.

I watched a few episodes, did nothing for me, same with The Vicar Of Darby and Father Tim, maybe. Ab Fab used to be so funny but ran out of ideas and got sad at the end.