Gibson Brands Forums

What Do You Think?

Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

[laugh] I remember when a band member of mine tried that teeth playing bit.  Didn't realize everything wasn't properly grounded and all we heard was a loud "POP" accompanied  by a huge blue spark and the sight of him flying back into the drummer's kit like he was kicked by a mule!  \:D/

As for the lefty thing...  Remember too that the strings would be in reverse order over the pick-ups as well which might have attributed to Jimi's sound. 

Probably an evolved amalgam of what was pre Hendrix rock and folk-rock with a still predominant Beatle/Chuck Berry influence. 

Whitefang

everyone started somewhere...

You cant take an artist out of his/her time any more than you can an invention out of its time. . The time period shapes what it is / what they do. I think luck plays a major part in an artist getting the right break. Yes they have to driven & committed and they have to have talent. The commitment is more important IMO. I've known some very talented people worthy of attention who will never get it. 

I think it entirely possible that had a bunch of the artists we know missed their moment, another bunch might well have taken their place and musical history would be different. There is no shortage of talent. 

Hendrix specifically? I liked him a lot. I had a bunch of his albums, especially live stuff. I was not influenced by his playing however. As much as I enjoyed his playing, I was aware that was not what I was chasing. My influences were entirely different.  

Hendrix as he was, transplanted into the here & now couldn't work. I think Beatos right about that, but maybe not the for different reasons he sets out.

3 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

You cant take an artist out of his/her time any more than you can an invention out of its time. . The time period shapes what it is / what they do. I think luck plays a major part in an artist getting the right break. Yes they have to driven & committed and they have to have talent. The commitment is more important IMO. I've known some very talented people worthy of attention who will never get it. 

I think it entirely possible that had a bunch of the artists we know missed their moment, another bunch might well have taken their place and musical history would be different. There is no shortage of talent. 

Hendrix specifically? I liked him a lot. I had a bunch of his albums, especially live stuff. I was not influenced by his playing however. As much as I enjoyed his playing, I was aware that was not what I was chasing. My influences were entirely different.  

Hendrix as he was, transplanted into the here & now couldn't work. I think Beatos right about that, but maybe not the for different reasons he sets out.

I like Jimi, but first lets look at this, and this is no shade cast on him, he only put out 3 studio albums, cause its hard to record when your not breathing.  All his studio albums are considered classics, Axis is my jam. The first one I have, and rarely play. I really never want to hear Purple Haze ever again. ELL I think needed to be a single LP. Hendrix was a great player of that there is no doubt. He also made many pick up the guitar. Since Jimi's passing the floodgates have opened and he has released more album since he did that when he was alive, hence my first statement. 

Jeff Berlin who is a great Bass player says "The musicians owned the music industry". Nope the record companies did. 

27 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Jeff Berlin who is a great Bass player says "The musicians owned the music industry". Nope the record companies did. 

That was always the case. I'm just throwing this out here, but maybe the reason musicians are no longer able to buy Lars Mansions is the record companies make so much less. 

The record company took most of the money back then too. Imagine how much money was in circulation. How much more money. 

I like the current model. Why should a musician who likes his job make billions more than a plumber, essential to society, who hates his job? 

14 minutes ago, Pinch said:

That was always the case. I'm just throwing this out here, but maybe the reason musicians are no longer able to buy Lars Mansions is the record companies make so much less. 

The record company took most of the money back then too. Imagine how much money was in circulation. How much more money. 

I like the current model. Why should a musician who likes his job make billions more than a plumber, essential to society, who hates his job? 

Is Lars Mansion owned by "tallica's drummer?

Bono should have to give us money when we hear that clown sing.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is Lars Mansion owned by "tallica's drummer?

Bono should have to give us money when we hear that clown sing.

It's upsetting to me that neither sends me, oh I dunno, ten grand isn't too much to ask for. Chump change for them. 

1 minute ago, Pinch said:

It's upsetting to me that neither sends me, oh I dunno, ten grand isn't too much to ask for. Chump change for them. 

Lars probably wouldn't walk across the street to p-iss on you if you were on fire.

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Lars probably wouldn't walk across the street to p-iss on you if you were on fire.

No idea. I don't really think about it. I just like the idea of him giving me money. 

I listened to Hardwired two n a half times and... Hell, should get at least a small check for that. Have zero hopes for them. 

It amazes me they still sell out stadiums. I loved their first four album, and their fifth is okay in places. That's over 30 years ago. Why anyone would go see them after all the bland crap they're put out since is beyond me. I vote with my wallet. Not going. 

22 minutes ago, Pinch said:

No idea. I don't really think about it. I just like the idea of him giving me money. 

I listened to Hardwired two n a half times and... Hell, should get at least a small check for that. Have zero hopes for them. 

It amazes me they still sell out stadiums. I loved their first four album, and their fifth is okay in places. That's over 30 years ago. Why anyone would go see them after all the bland crap they're put out since is beyond me. I vote with my wallet. Not going. 

I just saw a few weeks back James was doubting his playing and all the guys hugged him on stage. How sensitive you guys are.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the reasons I am interested in getting a lefty Strat Is to experience the position of the controls and trem bar that Jimi had. Stevie Ray's main guitar the SRV Strat had a lefty Trem on it  which made it easy to find, I noticed watching Stevie vids that while playing a normal Strat he fumbled trying to find the trem bar. On more intense trem songs he seemed to use the SRV Strat more.

On 6/13/2022 at 2:14 PM, mihcmac said:

One of the reasons I am interested in getting a lefty Strat Is to experience the position of the controls and trem bar that Jimi had.

My question is why? Jimi did cause of the scarcity of lefty models. Today its easier to find and get a lefty model. Should I get a English car with right hand steering,  and drive it in the USA to get that experience, Nope!

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 12:17 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I like Jimi, but first lets look at this, and this is no shade cast on him, he only put out 3 studio albums, cause its hard to record when your not breathing.  All his studio albums are considered classics, Axis is my jam. The first one I have, and rarely play. I really never want to hear Purple Haze ever again. ELL I think needed to be a single LP. Hendrix was a great player of that there is no doubt. He also made many pick up the guitar. Since Jimi's passing the floodgates have opened and he has released more album since he did that when he was alive, hence my first statement. 

What bugs me about the releases after his death is they were mostly made up of tracks that Jimi never saw fit to have released while he was alive, and definitely far from his best work and what he was capable of.  Just slammed together on a platter for the money the name would bring.  That some might(and a few I know do) think MIDNIGHT LIGHTNING is his legacy still pisses me off.  My ex(when we were still together) gave it to me as a Christmas gift.  I played it once and appropriately placed it in the "circular file". 

And it maybe SARGE, that ELL could have been split up into two separate studio LPs with different titles, but at least by making it a double it saved me another trip to the store.  [wink]

I listen to all three studio albums with equal frequency.  

Whitefang

22 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I know of someone who bought a Jimi upside down strat. He didn't like it. 

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My question is why? Jimi did cause of the scarcity of lefty models. Today its easier to find and get a lefty model. Should I get a English car with right hand steering,  and drive it in the USA to get that experience, Nope!

One of Pauls first bass's was a R-H guitar strung for L-H with bass strings, in the early 60's and late 50's lefty guitars were rare specially in the UK you made due with what you could get, if you wanted to play. There are plenty of early pic's of Jimi playing different brands of R-H guitars strung for left, so in that time period the US didn't have much to offer either. Not much in the way of lefty products. Samuri all drew their Katana's with their right hand, called "Te" meaning hand and their left hand is "Migi-Te" meaning your other hand. My mom would always take the fork out of my left hand and gently encourage me to use my right.

As far as having a lefty Strat set up  R-H its just to learn what he experienced having all of the controls right under his hand.. 

Edited by mihcmac

• duane v changed the title to What Do You Think?
21 hours ago, mihcmac said:

. My mom would always take the fork out of my left hand and gently encourage me to use my right.

That just makes me sad(and a little pissed).  I mean, what intelligent sounding reason could she possibly have for doing that? 

It was the same in schools too.  All desks geared for the right handed students.  We learned to adapt.  And subsequently discovered adapting was something right handed people found too difficult for them to do.  [wink]   And as I've stated in these forums before, I'm a left-handed person who learned to play guitar right-handed.  Why?  You're probably thinking "If he's so keen to post about adapting, so why didn't he have the ingenuity to switch the strings on his guitar for left-handed play?" 

Well, if I started learning to play guitar on my own guitar, I might have.  Or not due to there not really being any well known rock guitarists who played lefty that I'd see on TV and album covers.  But as I started learning to play on my step sister's guitar(and her being right-handed) I learned to play right-handed.  GLEN CAMPBELL too,  is a left-handed person who also learned to play right-handed.    And back to as far as school goes...

There were three other left-handed kids in my elementary classes.  And when we started school('56) the state's public school systems, after years of litigations,  started dropping the practice of teachers forcing left-handed children to use their right hands.  For years children in schools would even face punishments up to and including getting their left hands strongly whacked with rulers if the did what came naturally.   And incidentally;  When I used to play baseball, I'd bat right-handed.  I really don't know why I did though.

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

Of course then too, ADOLF HITLER having been a left-handed person might have been a reason for some also.  [wink]

I still have a large soft covered book about being left handed that also mentions some pretty notable people who were left-handed and didn't seem to be "held back" by it.  I'll hunt it down and see who else it mentions.  

Whitefang

16 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Of course then too, ADOLF HITLER having been a left-handed person might have been a reason for some also.  [wink]

I still have a large soft covered book about being left handed that also mentions some pretty notable people who were left-handed and didn't seem to be "held back" by it.  I'll hunt it down and see who else it mentions.  

Whitefang

Macca did okay left handed.

I play guitar fluently right handed and play bass guitar quite well left handed and it only took me about 3 months to train the brain and muscle to do it. 

When I broke my right clavicle riding a dirt bike in grade school, I trained myself to write left handed and other things I did normally with my right hand. 

To me it's not a big deal.