Gibson Brands Forums

What Do You Think?

Sgt. Pepper

Profound? I don’t think so. It’s kinda like saying in the 70’s if you Rapped like Snoop or whoever the hot Rapper is today nobody would even pay attention.. Of course they wouldn’t.. Neither are relevant for the time..

Going off on those tangents is proof that they, like most of us, have too much time on our hands! 😂 

He struggles to make a point. 

Joe Bonamassa is relatively young and has still made a name for himself. For one. 

If Hendrix came along and was noticed - because everyone uses the same platforms today whether they're terrible or great, so there's a gazillion more players on the same stage, so to speak - he'd get massive. 

It's an interesting premise. 

I agree with the spirit of what Rick Beato is saying here, if not the letter. 
But, like most pop music/pop psychology discussions, there's little hard science, and the hypothesis would be a difficult one to test. 

Love him or hate him, Jimi Hendrix did something that, for the day and age, was unique. 
And he became well known at the time for doing that unique thing that nobody else was doing. 
(Much like Edward Van Halen did a decade later.)

Guitar players are to this day copping riffs and grooves from Jimi and from EVH. 
I guess you could call that influence. 

Will players in the year 2039 be copping riffs and grooves from Matt Bellamy  and John 5?
It's tough to say. 

🤫

7 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

It's an interesting premise. 

I agree with the spirit of what Rick Beato is saying here, if not the letter. 
But, like most pop music/pop psychology discussions, there's little hard science, and the hypothesis would be a difficult one to test. 

Love him or hate him, Jimi Hendrix did something that, for the day and age, was unique. 
And he became well known at the time for doing that unique thing that nobody else was doing. 
(Much like Edward Van Halen did a decade later.)

Guitar players are to this day copping riffs and grooves from Jimi and from EVH. 
I guess you could call that influence. 

Will players in the year 2039 be copping riffs and grooves from Matt Bellamy  and John 5?
It's tough to say. 

🤫

I think at least people will appreciate John 5. I haven't really listened to him except for when he played with Manson, but I keep meaning to check out his solo stuff. Every Youtube clip I see is really cool, and I know from interviews that he wakes up, grabs a guitar, and then plays til he falls asleep, and then the same thing the next day. He seems like a nice guy too. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Rick Beato seems to have forgotten Hendrix was not just a guitar player.  He was also a vocalist, unlike at least half of the people he named.  Vocals are king.  Always have been, already will be. 

What, already? 

What do I think?

Most of what makes "legends"  LEGENDS, is the time in which they emerged and became who they were. Any one who can't embrace that is a fool.

Pointless inane drivel with some twit and a youtube account that thinks he's just too important to not have the world hear his point of view.

Nope... Don't need to waste my time watching that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree.  I'd rather be playing the guitar than listening to some self-appointed wannabe influencer talk about Going Back to the Future with a guitar legend.  Like saying  George Washington couldn't get elected dog catcher today because of his wooden teef.   

I kinda disagree about the "player" aspect and musicians not being in control. I think some of my generation doesn't give enough credit to some of these newer musicians and their musical abilities, because it isn't in line of what we grew accustom to listening to.... Todays young people don't digest music the way we used to because it's so easily obtained from anywhere. Plus todays young musicians don't need major record labels to hit the ground running. Today you can record and produce a quality demo in your bedroom in flash.  And now you have Americas Got Talent, American Idol and there are a few other shows I cant think of that pluck talent from hidden corners of the world, and some think this is bad for music, but I think the opposite in that it's good for today's music industry for the general population to see young up and coming talent, because the radio is now completely absent in not just playing todays musicians new music, but show casing unknown bands.... I can't remember the last time I listen to the radio.

I get it in regards to all those session players, and how they received more recognition back in the 70's and 80's (and deservedly so). But for my taste I could only listen to Al Dimielola, Larry Carlton and other jazz type session players for about 15 minutes and I would lose interest because it was unattainable for me from a musicianship standpoint., and I wasn't about to comb over every Larry Carlton lick for hours on end so that I could play like those dudes.... I would have been kicked out of every band I joined in jr. high and high school.

The reason the legends became legends is because of the timing and era their music represented. If Jimi never existed and he magically showed up today, I think he would show up in a slightly different form to meet the demands of todays music, and would more than likely be huge / popular. But I would bet dollars to donuts most of us here would ***** about the new Jimi Hendrix and consider him all flash..... The "what if" questions about bands of the past and how they would fair today always kinda hurt my brain.

For me I dig how all music is obtainable today and how quickly I can reference just about every type of music genre in seconds. It's given me a chance to revaluate what I thought was crap when I was younger, and finally realizing that it was only because there was just bits of fragmented information for me to digest back in the good ol days. 

I guess maybe to put the "what if" theory to the test is re-release a 1963 Split Window Corvette to look exactly the same as the original but with an electric motor and Apple Car Play. I would dare to say the younger generation would be all over it, and most of my and my dads generation would find a million things to ***** about.

First,

If he mentioned him I somehow missed it.  But when rattling off his list of famous guitar players from the '70's I didn't hear JOE WALSH mentioned.  [wink]

But more to the "point"

I think the Hendrix thing needs to be looked at from the aspect of the hypothesis of Jimi coming along now at the age he busted out back then ('round 25) and after coming of age through the last 15-20 years of what modern music was through that period, and still somehow being an incredible guitar player, would what he'd wind up doing still catch the ears of a generation as he did back in '67?   That's hard to say.  I think he might more catch on with the public radio and college radio listening crowd than mainstream FM radio.  Which is what the man in the little insert probably was trying to say. 

26 minutes ago, duane v said:

. If Jimi never existed and he magically showed up today, I think he would show up in a slightly different form to meet the demands of todays music, and would more than likely be huge / popular. But I would bet dollars to donuts most of us here would ***** about the new Jimi Hendrix and consider him all flash..... The "what if" questions about bands of the past and how they would fair today always kinda hurt my brain.

My only disagreement with the "demands of today's music" statement is that when Hendrix DID come at us back in the "day",  the "demands" of what was "today's" music back then were something Jimi didn't  concern himself with.  He NEVER did "meet the demands" of the day's music.  Rather, he entirely changed it's direction and caused a reversal in which music strove to meet HIS "demands".    And in those times, music audiences and labels were still interested in anything considered "radical" (in musical terms)  Hendrix was the right person at the right time.  The music audience was ripe for any change that upset established apple carts.  From music to movies,  clothing and hair-dos, dancing and socializing and politics.  

Today it's all different.  "Individualism" today seems to be defined by how many people can manage to all be the same. 

Whitefang

4 hours ago, Pinch said:

Joking aside, ghost_of_fl, I can't see anyone else singing for Hendrix... Part of the package. Just like I can't see "And justice for all" with another drum sound. 

And no bass at all. Fuk 'Tallica, but mostly Fuk Lars.

Opps I detailed by own thread.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

After Jimi make his mark, maybe the next guy to come along, and make people notice was EVH, then this dude named Randy Rhodes was on Scuzzy's first solo album. That Stevie Ray guy made people take notice. K W Shepard got a lot of notoriety. Joe Bonamassa is out there endorsing everything, and buying up the worlds supply of vintage guitars. Who are we pointing a finger at, and going "wow" at now? Of course Rick mentioned the laundry list of great and known players we all know and have heard. 

Is there a next_____________________________? Who knows. Has it all been done? 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Right, the question is a paradox because some of the players he listed were directly influenced by Hendrix.    So if Hendrix appeared now, it would be in an alternate musical landscape that doesn't exist.  Beato is actually a really good player.  He just needs to shut up and play.  

=D>

you're right of course,, he's a talented guy,,

shut and play indeed...

19 hours ago, kidblast said:

more to the point,

if it WASN'T for guys like Hendrix,  just what exactly would we  be doing today as guitar players?

beato needs to stuff a stock in it.

We'd be doing the same thing, because no one sounds like Hendrix.

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

We'd be doing the same thing, because no one sounds like Hendrix.

Well no,  personally from my perspectives, I don't think so.   His "sound" was in his hands, (just as your sound is in YOUR hands)

I'm saying it was his influence on music and guitarist that listened to him and how that shaped the goals and ambitions.

I know he had a huge impact on what I wanted to do with the guitar.

EVH, had just the same impact that Hendrix had, he just a few years down the road on the evolution map.

Hendrix had already raised the bar,  EVH  found a new level for it.

my 2 cents Pinch

Edited by kidblast

Hendrix was a trailblazer.

He didn't really influence me much, he could get too psychedelic.

I studied Fogerty, Blackmore, Wes Montgomery and the country gunslingers of the late 60's/early 70's.

By the time EVH came along, I'd been gigging for years, my groove was baked in.

Also don't forget that Jimi being a lefty played a right handed Strat, where the strings were affected by the pickup closest to the bridge differently than a righty's would, he also used a mostly new Post-CBS Strats, 10 Marshall Stacks, that Fuzz Face, and a Dallas Arbiter(I think that was the pedal), and just to be on the safe side a smidge of LSD. Don't forget about the teeth pick, for that enamel tone. His dentist must have loved him.

Yeah Rick and his hair are pretty full of his own vomit. Rick you an older guy. My kids care about how many "likes" they get, but you do as well. What a putz.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Also don't forget that Jimi being a lefty played a right handed Strat, where the strings were affected by the pickup closest to the bridge differently than a righty's would, he also used a mostly new Post-CBS Strats, 10 Marshall Stacks, that Fuzz Face, and a Dallas Arbiter(I think that was the pedal), and just to be on the safe side a smidge of LSD. Don't forget about the teeth pick, for that enamel tone. His dentist must have loved him.

[laugh] I remember when a band member of mine tried that teeth playing bit.  Didn't realize everything wasn't properly grounded and all we heard was a loud "POP" accompanied  by a huge blue spark and the sight of him flying back into the drummer's kit like he was kicked by a mule!  \:D/

As for the lefty thing...  Remember too that the strings would be in reverse order over the pick-ups as well which might have attributed to Jimi's sound. 

On 6/2/2022 at 9:14 AM, kidblast said:

more to the point,

if it WASN'T for guys like Hendrix,  just what exactly would we  be doing today as guitar players?

Probably an evolved amalgam of what was pre Hendrix rock and folk-rock with a still predominant Beatle/Chuck Berry influence. 

Whitefang

I still think its funny that in Guitarist Polls (which are a crock) that Jimi is still to this day considered the "Best" Guitarist Of All Time. Put Jimi in his prime in a room with one Mr. Richard Thompson, and I'll take RT all day song. Richard can play his part, a rhythm part, a lead part, and still have fingers to spare. I know, I've stood about 20 feet from him when I saw him live the last time.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 6/2/2022 at 8:35 AM, fortyearspickn said:

Agree.  I'd rather be playing the guitar than listening to some self-appointed wannabe influencer talk about Going Back to the Future with a guitar legend.  

What about reading posts on guitar forums?