Gibson Brands Forums

Lollapalooza on Hulu anyone?

rct

Bueller?

Exciting big show, big stage, massive crowd.  Can't imagine the money.  Metallica is headliner tonight, they are dragging that out, no idea what time they will actually show it.

rct

I saw them in '93 and in '17. That is enough live 'Tallica for me. Those guys haven't made an album I wanted to buy since . . . And Justice. 

I love that Kirk still thinks he's rocking that man-perm at his age.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

I pretty much learned to play guitar by playing Metallica. I can’t listen to them anymore though. Megadeth is better IMHO since we have that whole Dave-tallica thing that happened - have to stick this one in there. I’m not going to hate on tallica anymore, I just can’t listen to them and enjoy it. Even the old stuff… Not because they can’t play their instruments or anything like that… it just doesn’t have the same ring to me anymore. Megadeth on the other hand… I just think there was better stuff going on in that band behind the scenes while Metallica was becoming a commercial giant. 

12 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

I pretty much learned to play guitar by playing Metallica. I can’t listen to them anymore though. Megadeth is better IMHO since we have that whole Dave-tallica thing that happened - have to stick this one in there. I’m not going to hate on tallica anymore, I just can’t listen to them and enjoy it. Even the old stuff… Not because they can’t play their instruments or anything like that… it just doesn’t have the same ring to me anymore. Megadeth on the other hand… I just think there was better stuff going on in that band behind the scenes while Metallica was becoming a commercial giant. 

I'm pretty much the same. Well, I can't really listen to the stuff after Nick and Marty bailed, because most of it's not nearly as good, but I'll still spin "Rust in peace" and "Youthanasia" every now and then. Whereas I'll leave the room if I'm forced to listen to "Enter sandman". 

Plus, they should have treasured Jason instead of the ten year "hazing". That sort of stuff doesn't sit well with me.  He was an great player and an a-sset live. 

Edited by Pinch

10 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I'm pretty much the same. Well, I can't really listen to the stuff after Nick and Marty bailed, because most of it's not nearly as good, but I'll still spin "Rust in peace" and "Youthanasia" every now and then. Whereas I'll leave the room if I'm forced to listen to "Enter sandman". 

Plus, they should have treasured Jason instead of the ten year "hazing". That sort of stuff doesn't sit well with me.  He was an great player and an a-sset live. 

What I respect about Megadeth is that they have pretty much stayed heavy metal in the vein I like to listen to. Metallica has not. It’s really that simple for me. But yeah the Marty years were something special. Peace sells and earlier is still listenable to me too… the new stuff is really not that bad IMHO if you want to listen to something metal. I understand though how you feel.

I’m restraining from going into Metallica meltdown mode… 

Edited by NighthawkChris

2 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

What I respect about Megadeth is that they have pretty much stayed heavy metal in the vein I like to listen to. Metallica has not. It’s really that simple for me. But yeah the Marty years were something special. Peace sells and earlier is still listenable to me too… the new stuff is really not that bad IMHO if you want to listen to something metal. I understand though how you feel.

I’m restraining from going into Metallica meltdown mode… 

I actually liked a few Metallica "experiments" like the one with Marianne Faithful, Mama said, etc. I just wish both bands wrote better songs these days. Well, especially Megadeth. I've given up on both bands, but Metallica especially. The last one was U2 bland. 

Edited by Pinch

Neither one of those bands interested me, so I guess I'm not missing anything.  [wink]

But then, I pretty much learned to play guitar from the players during the early '60's folk phase(Dylan, Ochs, Seeger, Paxton etc.) and into the British invasion.   

Humorous aside:

My eldest daughter said she used to be into those bands you mentioned(Metallica, Megadeath et al)  but says they and the music haven't changed much and got boring to her.  Suggested they should change the name from Lollapalooza to Dullapalooza.  [cool]

Whitefang

12 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Neither one of those bands interested me, so I guess I'm not missing anything.  [wink]

But then, I pretty much learned to play guitar from the players during the early '60's folk phase(Dylan, Ochs, Seeger, Paxton etc.) and into the British invasion.   

Humorous aside:

My eldest daughter said she used to be into those bands you mentioned(Metallica, Megadeath et al)  but says they and the music haven't changed much and got boring to her.  Suggested they should change the name from Lollapalooza to Dullapalooza.  [cool]

Whitefang

Both bands were excellent back in the day. Now they're... well, crap, if you ask me.

• Thanks 1