Gibson Brands Forums

Routing a pickup cavity.

duane v

I'm adding a center humbucker pickup route to one of my Les Paul Standards, but I'm wondering if the dremel will live through it. I purchase an acrylic template, Dremel "Tool Plunger Adapter Attachment," and two very high quality "double fluted"  tungsten-carbide tip, (not from Amazon).

I guess my question is has anyone ever routed a pickup cavity with a dremel?

Gracias

Never done it with a dremel but it should work as long as it can get deep enough...  Might be a good idea to remove as much of the wood as possible with a drill and a forstner or spade  bit and then just clean it up with the dremel.

I've used a Foredom many times to deepen pickup holes.  It's a Dremel on steroids, but the same idea.  You should have no problems at all.  Remember though, the sanding drum is your best friend.  The carbides and serious biters will take a lot before you may be ready to take a lot.  Best to rough it in with the biters and leave plenty of finesse room for the sanding drums, as time consuming and tedious as that might be.

rct

I used Dremel's back in the days when I was converted a few Melody Makers, Coronets and Jr's to accept Humbuckers, yep I did that. Dremel's worked quite well to enlarge the the pickup cavity,  just take your time and don't bite off too much at once.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I routed a cavity for a hum but there was already a P-90 cavity there, so I didn't have to take much off. The dremel's turn so fast, one slip and you may need a box of tissues for the tears.

😂

On 8/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, kidblast said:

brave lad...  I've seen what a botched route job does to the top.

aint a pretty sight..  

good luck ......

I know I could never get up enough guts to do it. My wife would find me on the garage floor in the fetal position with a Dremel spinning away at my side.

22 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I know I could never get up enough guts to do it. My wife would find me on the garage floor in the fetal position with a Dremel spinning away at my side.

I had a kahler installed on an Ibanez Musician (it WAS a bueatiful guitar till I got the urge to put the Trem system on it)

hey  it was the 80s,, so I use that as my defense.

I brought to a reputable tech too,  one touch of that rotuer to the top, and it just skidded right off the top   made one he11uvah mess too.  

it ruined the guitar.   Mint ones like that one today are going for loads of money too (MC400) 

Lesson learned.

4 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

I’d find a practice guitar to experiment with - or some spare wood… either this or do it the way it was intended to route the cavity - with an actual router and probably a jig to 100% align the template where the cavity needs to be. 

That is probably the best idea....  I have only once done that to a Gibson and I did do a practice run first.   It was the first mod I had ever done to an expensive guitar and lets say my hands were shaking a bit on the first cut.