Gibson Brands Forums

How to determine if the tone controls on a Les paul Standard are working?

jalexquijano

I recently bought a 2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard honeyburst with burstbuckers pro pickups. However, when i turn down the tone control on either the bridge or neck pickup, i only notice a slight difference in tone. Is this normal? How can I determine if these tone pots are really working or not. The guitar sounds nice but i discovered that the tone controls dont alter the tone dramatically as in my Gibson ES-335.

Please advice, I dont want to replace the tone controls if the originals are fine.

First off it should be plugged into a properly working amplifier.

And turned on.

Next 10 bright 0 not so bright.

And VIOLA'

That'll be $30.00. My standard consultant fee.

Wait, the amp has to be one for the tone controls to work?

First off it should be plugged into a properly working amplifier.

And turned on.

Next 10 bright 0 not so bright.

And VIOLA'

That'll be $30.00. My standard consultant fee.

If i have the volume of either the bridge or neck pickup at 10 and want to roll down the tone to get a muddy or bassy sound, I cant manage to hear such difference. Does the tone controls only activate when i turn the volumes of any of the pickups to 7 or 8? I have a ES-335 where you can have the volume at 10 and roll down the tone to 8 and start hearing the difference in tone. Please advise. If this is normal for a Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s neck, Should I start messing around with the electronics and change the small capacitors? THis guitar has a standard 50s wiring

No sir, that is not normal. You should hear a distinct difference in tone with the tone knobs adjusted fully one way or another. If this isn't the case, I'd look into it.

If your question is more of a "I get an appreciable difference on my ES-335 at 8, but not as much on my Les Paul", then I'd just chalk that up to different tolerances on the electronics. If it bugs you, go ahead and swap them out =D>

Good Luck!

I'd say if you can't hear much of a difference than something wrong with them. You should be able to tell. http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/pots.htm

Well this gives the answer. Get an ohmmeter and you'll know for sure. If you don't have one or can't get one from a friend just bring it to a technician. For about $40 you'll have your answer (OK, that's more than what AXE® charges but it's worth it).

Archived