Gibson Brands Forums

Best sounding new Gibson I've heard on the tubes of you...

egoidealmusic

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

At least they did not combine the Banner with a block letter logo as Bozeman has been known to do.  My take on it though is Bozeman rarely "reissues" a guitar from a past catalog by which  I mean something like the J45 Legend.  To me these are, to borrow a Epiphone model designation, they are more of an "Inspired By" thing.  So, I do not put a whole lot of stock in any guitar just because it has a date in the model designation.

While I am far from an expert on Banners never having been in room with more than two at any given time, I always get the feeling that when it comes to Gibsons built in the 1940s and in particular the Banners,  trying to nail down what is the "best if the breed" or the archetype Wartime J45 is like trying to nail jello to a wall.  It is like the sound is determined as much by quirks in the build as by specs,   But I am willing to bet that just as a broken clock is right twice a day, while the guitar in the video does not sound like my 1942 J50 (particularly in the low end)  it is going to sound more like one somebody somewhere owns.

I agree that it is hard to boil down the Banner specs into one reissue guitar. However, my point was that the guitar in the intro pic for the video appears to have consistent specs with the 1942 Banner historic collection J-45, from the current Gibson page. See below.  The guitar they show in the video is something else.

Lars

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Acoustic-Guitar/ACCFN1635/Vintage-Sunburst

Edited by Lars68

The one being played in the video sure looks like the first run of 42 Banner reissue efforts of several years back, one of which I purchased then and still have today.   Sounds like it also.   And, I want to say I recall that video as from that time, but not 100% certain.  The bridge and saddle were done as you see which bothered some folks because of the departure from original.  One of the selling points attempted then was a combination of old and new (as in the bridge and drop in saddle).  That guitar looks and sounds like that series.  You guys remember that first try don't you?  The sound sold me despite the modern bridge and saddle.

edit:  I recall a post where someone was having a hard time adjusting his playing style due to the boom and volume response.  He had tried every string, etc.  I replied about having to lighten my approach to find the real balance and sweet spot on mine.  To this day the guitar responds best to a measured touch. 

Edited by Hall

47 minutes ago, Hall said:

You guys remember that first try don't you? 

'Don't recall a test drive of this reissue, but Music Villa really should clarify what the deal is with this guitar, since it doesn't match the official specs. 

It does sound great for how the demo person is playing it. A  player who favors one guitar maker's sound might be looking to get one sound out of it, whereas a someone else might be looking for more of a singer-songwriter sound. Of course, the dynamics of that particular guitar could be the combination of many things, including neck set, setup, strings, and/or just the luck of the draw as far as wood selection.

oI2w6IA.png

Edited by 62burst

It's pretty much the same thing as the "1942 J-45 Legend" that I have with a few differences:

Neck profile says "V-shape" where mine is a baseball bat, non-tiger-stripe pickguard, pearl dots on both sides of the bridge pins, and a lighter finish on the back of the new one.

Other than that, it seems pretty much the same.

Should sound like that with an L.R.Baggs lyric pickup

Edited by Mr.Woody

I just looked at a version of the Gibson 42 banner at L&M.   Was kind of takin back at the price tag.   6200 cdn.    Never bothered to try it out after that.     The finish looked weathered and fine checked.  But also looked very milky in color.   

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You guys pick up on the smallest detail on the guitar being reviewed, but can't see 2 guitars clearly hanging behind the guys in the video you loath?

Were the strings wrong too?

It’s an illness. We can’t help it. 

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You guys pick up on the smallest detail on the guitar being reviewed, but can't see 2 guitars clearly hanging behind the guys in the video you loath?

Were the strings wrong too?

I have to confess I do not pay that much attention to these kinds of videos because my interest is just not there.   I have been happy with that which I own for a very long time now.  The guitar which has come the closest to getting me to part with my hard-earned scratch was one of the 2013 short run of J45s, SJs and LG1s.