Gibson Brands Forums

Best sounding new Gibson I've heard on the tubes of you...

egoidealmusic

Gibson's site shows a rectangular bridge through slot for the '42 Historic Banner.

I'm really liking the '42 Southern Jumbo I have. I really like the the neck shape ('C' shape 1.77 nut wide). I wouldn't mind a hog version of it.

This model sounds very promising but for the price of admission - here in Canada they are going for $6299 (U.S. $4268). I'd love to own one but it's too steep.

A Standard is Can. $3599 or US $2742. Guess I'm sticking to my standard.

A Std J-45 is an excellent Guitar & sounds great!

I’d be hard pressed to pay $4299.00 US for that 1942 issue.. I’d have to get a Hummingbird with L.R. Baggs VTC for $3999.00….

Or, Don’t hate me but for that kind of money I’d have to buy a Guild D-55E or Guild D-512E..  Which are amazing Great Guitars!

Or an Electric Gretsch G-6136T-59GE Vintage Select for $3999.00….. Classic White Falcon! It doesn't get any better!!! You've reached the Pinnacle!

Edited by Larsongs

Sounds excellent and already very loose.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Would more than like to try it and compare with both the video plus other 45's. Because they have branched out and the nuances are many.                                                                                                                             Though light, intuition tells me this is one heavy partner. 

I remain not overly trusting of sound I hear in videos.  The way I look at it, their job is to pique your interest enough that you will seek it out to try or better yet buy one sight unseen.   

In the end while comparing guitars is generally bad business evaluations tend to be based on an individual's frame of reference.  You know, I like it better or not near as much as my (fill in the blank).  So based on my frame of reference if I was without a slope shoulder J45/50 the guitar demonstrated might very well be a contender.  But I am not so deprived and lucky enough to own one which every which time I pull it from the case, I utter a silent "whoa." and thank those ladies in Kalamazoo who built it for me.  

Edited by zombywoof

15 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How nice of then to have two high end Martin's (a D-42 and a D-45) in the background for you to look at during the whole video.

While my Mama did not raise no foolish child, I have a lot of respect for Martins.  But I never even noticed them.  Now if they dad say a Harmony H1265 Sovereign sitting there that would have grabbed my attention quick.

14 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

While my Mama did not raise no foolish child, I have a lot of respect for Martins.  But I never even noticed them.  Now if they dad say a Harmony H1265 Sovereign sitting there that would have grabbed my attention quick.

It just made me go, Huh, you guys are reviewing a Gibson J-45 while two really expensive guitars from another maker hang behind them. I guess they didn't have time to change the set from The D-42 Vs. The D-45 video they must have just done, or were getting ready to do. How can you miss the two Martins, or not notice them they are big as all get out hanging right between the two reviewers.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

I love Gibsons and always will.  Haven’t had a Martin for over a dozen years now.  However, my Martin D35 Johnny Cash (2018) is far-and-beyond the $3200 I paid for it.  It’s the only Martin I’ve been really wanting and it does not disappoint.  My wife gave me permission to look at a new one, but I found an absolutely great one on Reverb.  It’s the equal of any of the many guitars I’ve owned.   You can’t go wrong with a top notch guitar from Gibson or Martin.  All the quality, tradition, and mojo are already there.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It just made me go, Huh, you guys are reviewing a Gibson J-45 while two really expensive guitars from another maker hang behind them. I guess they didn't have time to change the set from The D-42 Vs. The D-45 video they must have just done, or were getting ready to do. How can you miss the two Martins, or not notice them they are big as all get out hanging right between the two reviewers.

Martins don't get my Pavlovian instincts juicing up the way that Gibsons do, as strange as it may seem to some.

18 hours ago, olie said:

This model sounds very promising but for the price of admission - here in Canada they are going for $6299 (U.S. $4268). I'd love to own one but it's too steep.

A Standard is Can. $3599 or US $2742. Guess I'm sticking to my standard.

I just looked and SW has one or them for $4999. It says Add To Cart, so they must have at least one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CSRS4542VSL--gibson-acoustic-1942-banner-j-45-left-handed

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

In Cdn. dollars it's still $6516. And then there's shipping, and that's no small deal. I know it's a first world problem but I'll have to cry the blues to the accompaniment of a "mere" Standard.

A good Gibson Std J-45 sounds as good as that ‘42.. I’ve played many that do...  I’m sure many guys here have Std J-45’s that do.. IMO, there are many better Guitar choices if you want to step up to $4300.00 US or $6300 CA..

The J-45 Banner 1942 reissue should NOT have a belly-up bridge. Also, there is no pickguard. There is no way the guitar in the video is what they say it is. Someone made a mistake somewhere. Still a great guitar though, but I have never seen a real Banner with a belly-up bridge…

Lars

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How nice of then to have two high end Martin's (a D-42 and a D-45) in the background for you to look at during the whole video.

Nobody noticed. Just you.

I'm just surprised BK777 hasn't come in to tell everybody how much better a Matoon sounds...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lars68 said:

The J-45 Banner 1942 reissue should NOT have a belly-up bridge. Also, there is no pickguard. There is no way the guitar in the video is what they say it is. Someone made a mistake somewhere. Still a great guitar though, but I have never seen a real Banner with a belly-up bridge…

Lars

At least they did not combine the Banner with a block letter logo as Bozeman has been known to do.  My take on it though is Bozeman rarely "reissues" a guitar from a past catalog by which  I mean something like the J45 Legend.  To me these are, to borrow a Epiphone model designation, they are more of an "Inspired By" thing.  So, I do not put a whole lot of stock in any guitar just because it has a date in the model designation.

While I am far from an expert on Banners never having been in room with more than two at any given time, I always get the feeling that when it comes to Gibsons built in the 1940s and in particular the Banners,  trying to nail down what is the "best if the breed" or the archetype Wartime J45 is like trying to nail jello to a wall.  It is like the sound is determined as much by quirks in the build as by specs,   But I am willing to bet that just as a broken clock is right twice a day, while the guitar in the video does not sound like my 1942 J50 (particularly in the low end)  it is going to sound more like one somebody somewhere owns.

Edited by zombywoof