Gibson Brands Forums

CCR - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

Rabs

Apparently there were 2 nights...I think I was at the 1st night.  We were seated at the side of the stage about 10ft away from Tom Fogerty.

And I really have no memory at all of the support band....Booker T and the MGs!!

Edited by jdgm

I always dug those "tuck and roll" Kustom amps.  Only saw one band live that used 'em.  A short-lived group called "Bubble Puppy".  Silly name, but man, could those cats pick!

Never saw CCR live.  And I wonder now if in that clip of "Proud Mary" if they played that song at either 10 or 11 pm?   [wink]

The joke back in the "day" was  that wedding bands( back when DJs weren't even a consideration)  would typically play "Proud Mary" anywhere between 10 and 11 O'clock .   And wedding bands 'round here weren't really all that much.  Usually consisting of some guy on an accordion with another on bass and a drummer with a store display kit.  Or, if not an accordion, then a tenor sax player.  Usually they were trios to save space since working class families couldn't afford much more that a small hall or the local VFW hall, which wasn't very large.  [biggrin]

As to CCR, I always kinda liked them.  Not a HUGE fan, but they were tolerable enough.

Whitefang

2 hours ago, jvi said:

did anyone re-count the holes ? 

They were small holes but they all got counted. They know how many holes it took to fill the place, but the number just has not been released yet. They did have an exact amount though for Blackburn, Lancashire. 4000 if I remember correctly.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, gearbasher said:

The Creedence album "The Concert" was originally released as "The Royal Albert Hall Concert" before they realized it was a mistake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Concert_(Creedence_Clearwater_Revival_album)

Yep. If you have one of those. It might be worth a buck or two. I remember hearing that back in the day.

I saw them in San Bernardino, Ca. in 1969… Canned Heat opened for them..   My folks were out of town & I sorta borrowed my Mom’s White on White on White 1958 T-Bird as I blew the engine in my Car.. I had some Weed & my Brother in law had some Acid.. I don’t know how we got there or got home but what a great Concert! It was a Trip! It was a different time!

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I saw them in San Bernardino, Ca. in 1969… Canned Heat opened for them..   My folks were out of town & I sorta borrowed my Mom’s White on White on White 1958 T-Bird as I blew the engine in my Car.. I had some Weed & my Brother in law had some Acid.. I don’t know how we got there or got home but what a great Concert! It was a Trip! It was a different time!

Sounds like trip on a couple of levels :-).

CCR, Beatles, and Grand Funk were my biggest influences early on. Would love to have seen them.

Nothing like tripping balls on some LSD.

I saw Canned Heat in '69 with Spirit and Bubble Puppy.  I never could tell(from where I was seated) if it was Vestine or Wilson that had a huge wall of Marshall speakers that kept drowning out the rest of the band.  What was your experience like(if you can remember)?

Whitefang

LOL! I kinda remember all the People were melted together in a Psychedelic Lava Lamp Light! I remember thinking Canned Heat’s song “Goin Up The Country” & “On The Road Again” we’re like the greatest Songs of all time! Then when CCR came on it was like being stoned listening to their Albums on Headphones X 1,000,000….. LOL! I still don’t know how I drove home after the Concert from San Bernardino to Corona on the Freeway?

Like I said, it was a different time!

Edited by Larsongs

29 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

LOL! I kinda remember all the People were melted together in a Psychedelic Lava Lamp Light! I remember thinking Canned Heat’s song “Goin Up The Country” & “On The Road Again” we’re like the greatest Songs of all time! Then when CCR came on it was like being stoned listening to their Albums on Headphones X 1,000,000….. LOL! I still don’t know how I drove home after the Concert from San Bernardino to Corona on the Freeway?

Like I said, it was a different time!

You just had to go along and enjoy the ride. I would not want to drive a car while on LSD. The last time I tripped on LSD, I remember looking at the Revolver album cover and some of the stuff started moving on it, especially that small hand in the hair under John face, between Ringo and Georges huge heads. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You just had to go along and enjoy the ride. I would not want to drive a car while on LSD. The last time I tripped on LSD, I remember looking at the Revolver album cover and some of the stuff started moving on it, especially that small hand in the hair under John face, between Ringo and Georges huge heads. 

I only did that LSD twice.. The 2nd time some guy dropped it in my Coke & that trip lasted 2 complete days & nights.. I lived my whole life, died, was resurrected & was in the afterlife & it’s a long story… That was enough for me!

Nowadays, I’m good with a few Beers. Or an occasional Monte Christo & a snifter of Courvoisier….

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I only did that LSD twice.. The 2nd time some guy dropped it in my Coke & that trip lasted 2 complete days & nights.. I lived my whole life, died, was resurrected & was in the afterlife & it’s a long story… That was enough for me!

Nowadays, I’m good with a few Beers. Or an occasional Monte Christo & a snifter of Courvoisier….

I like weed and vodka, bourbon and scotch. Beer just makes me pee 100 times in one night.

37 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I like weed and vodka, bourbon and scotch. Beer just makes me pee 100 times in one night.

I like Vodka, Bourbon & Scotch too! I quit weed several years ago.. Lost the desire I guess… Now that it’s legal it doesn’t have the same attraction.. LOL! 

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I like Vodka, Bourbon & Scotch too! I quit weed several years ago.. Lost the desire I guess… Now that it’s legal it doesn’t have the same attraction.. LOL! 

Yeah but it’s stronger now, grown by people with botany degrees. It’s no longer s- hit rag weed from Mexico.

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah but it’s stronger now, grown by people with botany degrees. It’s no longer s- hit rag weed from Mexico.

I was initiated into a small group who would go to a Hacienda type Estate in Qui-Nhon & was turned onto some Hybrid Weed grown by a Mystic Papa-San in Vietnam..  It was on par with the Weed of today which I’m familiar with. Occasionally we would get OJ’s if you know what those were.. I don’t know how much we can talk about this topic online???

6 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I was initiated into a small group who would go to a Hacienda type Estate in Qui-Nhon & was turned onto some Hybrid Weed grown by a Mystic Papa-San in Vietnam..  It was on par with the Weed of today which I’m familiar with. Occasionally we would get OJ’s if you know what those were.. I don’t know how much we can talk about this topic online???

Weed is legal now in 20 or more states, so I think  we are fine talking about it. I know what a BJ is, but not an OJ. Was this Papa-san mystic hybrid weed laced with anything? Back in the 70's they used to dip weed in liquid PCP, and call it a Sherman. I am sure you have heard of that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

34 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Weed is legal now in 20 or more states, so I think  we are fine talking about it. I know what a BJ is, but not an OJ. Was this Papa-san mystic hybrid weed laced with anything? Back in the 70's they used to dip weed in liquid PCP, and call it a Sherman. I am sure you have heard of that.

His Weed wasn’t. Besides buying by the Bag he offered Pre-Rolls. You could packs & cartons of Cigarettes that were steamed open, the tobacco was removed & filled with his Weed.. The Cigarette packs were resealed as if they’d never been opened. You could buy a Pack or a Carton.. I’d buy Marlboro’s. He also offered Pre-Rolls the size of Cigars. We would occasionally get some liquid Opium from another Papa San who ran an Opium Den & would lace his Joints.... We were F’n Crazy!

Edited by Larsongs

12 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

His Weed wasn’t. Besides buying by the Bag he offered Pre-Rolls. You could packs & cartons of Cigarettes that were steamed open, the tobacco was removed & filled with his Weed.. The Cigarette packs were resealed as if they’d never been opened. You could buy a Pack or a Carton.. I’d buy Marlboro’s. He also offered Pre-Rolls the size of Cigars. We would occasionally get some liquid Opium from another Papa San who ran an Opium Den & would lace his Joints.... We were F’n Crazy!

Chasing the Dragon.