Gibson Brands Forums

Help Identify My Goldtop Please

orkuncolak

Hi everyone,

First message... Hope everyone is well. 
I have a 2007 Gibson Les Paul with the serial number of 007470654. I need help identifying if it is a Standard or a Traditional.

I was told that it is a Standard years ago when I was buying it second hand. However, recently someone told me that it could be a Traditional. 

I did a lot of research to identify it by the serial number but failed, I did reach out to Gibson but didn't get an answer. So here I am.

I am attaching the photos of the puppy as well. Please let me know.

Thanks and best regards.

Screenshot_136.png

Screenshot_137.png

Hmm.. Not sure..  Did it come with a QC certificate? (a white card)..  That usually has a code on it.

Either that or take the pickups out.. You will often see some letters written in there may say STGT (standard gold top) or TDGT for a traditional or something like that. 

2 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I purchased a Les Paul Traditional the first year they came out, which was 2008. Since your Lester is a 2007, its safe to say that it is a Standard. 

I was wondering that.. What year they started...  Also though I have seen some Classics from 2007 that look like the OPs guitar with covered pups.  Like in this video.....  Which if it is you should be able to tell by the slim neck

15 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I was wondering that.. What year they started...  Also though I have seen some Classics from 2007 that look like the OPs guitar with covered pups.  Like in this video.....  Which if it is you should be able to tell by the slim neck

I don't think it's a classic due to the serial number difference.  The Classic has 6 digits while the guitar in question has 9. Also there isn't that annoying snot green inlays... 

Just now, Big Bill said:

I don't think it's a classic due to the serial number difference.  The Classic has 6 digits while the guitar in question has 9. Also there isn't that annoying snot green inlays... 

Ahh yes.. Good point.. You are spot on there..   I should know as well as I have one  😄   So a Standard it is..  Not that I think the OP is coming back..  But whatever.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Big Bill said:

My classic had one of those ink stamped SN's on the back of the head, and 1960 etched into the p/g. I had the lovely green inlays that people love to hate too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My classic had one of those ink stamped SN's on the back of the head, and 1960 etched into the p/g. I had the lovely green inlays that people love to hate too.

Yes I have one of those too..  Excellent guitar... Starting to get checking now though...

1 hour ago, Twang Gang said:

I thought one big difference between a Standard and a Traditional was that Traditionals did not have weight relieved bodies.

Me too. They were supposed to be Traditional, like how they used to be made. They should come with a Chiropractor. So the Traditional is now like the old Standard.  

3 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Hmm.. Solid Les Pauls usually weight about 11 Lbs depending on the density of the mahogany (Norlin era).  The most common weight relief is the nine hole traditional pattern below, used after the 70's.

gibson-weight-relief-jpg.334904

Didn't this all come about when a guitar went though the machine at an airport? Or is that an old wives tale?

• Haha 1