Gibson Brands Forums

New PRS pedals

Rabs

I watched the video from PRS and these seem to be excellent sounding pedals. This Philip guy just sucks at playing guitar so I assume I won’t gain anything from his opinion or demonstration if I’m gonna be honest

As a pedal geek the first thing that I notice is that the physical layout was poorly designed. Putting the knobs so close to the foot switch is an easily avoidable problem that screams “lack of experience” or maybe worse

The flanger seems like a really fun pedal to me. I could get into that one. Don’t wanna look at the price tag though 

I wasn't blown away by the sound of any of those pedals. They were all very subtle IMO. But I did enjoy the review for some reason. I liked listening to his philosophy of how he sets pedals and amps. Especially the Compressor. 

On 10/8/2022 at 8:19 AM, saturn said:

I wasn't blown away by the sound of any of those pedals. They were all very subtle IMO. But I did enjoy the review for some reason. I liked listening to his philosophy of how he sets pedals and amps. Especially the Compressor. 

Ugh where to begin… I don’t want to be mean but it’s a given that Philip McKnight is not going to make gear sound good… He is not a decent player and he’s extremely bad at using amps and effects. I didn’t watch the video but any philosophy or whatever that he’s got is obviously crap because listen to the results 

• Sad 1

On 10/9/2022 at 1:04 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

Ugh where to begin… I don’t want to be mean but it’s a given that Philip McKnight is not going to make gear sound good… He is not a decent player and he’s extremely bad at using amps and effects. I didn’t watch the video but any philosophy or whatever that he’s got is obviously crap because listen to the results 

I'd never heard of this guy before watching this demo. He surely wasn't anything special as a player.  I didn't think he was horrible, I assumed he was just playing simple stuff and focussing more on the pedals. But after rewatching, I was kinda thinking why is he doing palm-mutes while demoing the flanger? I'd like to actually hear the effect but it's hard when all the notes are choked off.

3 minutes ago, saturn said:

I'd never heard of this guy before watching this demo. He surely wasn't anything special as a player.  I didn't think he was horrible, I assumed he was just playing simple stuff and focussing more on the pedals. But after rewatching, I was kinda thinking why is he doing palm-mutes while demoing the flanger? I'd like to actually hear the effect but it's hard when all the notes are choked off.

23 hours ago, Rabs said:

Thanks. I can hear that much better.

Coincidently, I'm probably going to take a trip over to  PRS in Stevensville  this weekend. My PRS amp died on me several months ago and no one else seems to be able to fix it.  I just picked it up from Bill's today and it cost me $45 to have him tell me he couldn't fix it.  😞

On 10/11/2022 at 9:26 PM, saturn said:

What is the amp doing?

8 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

What is the amp doing?

My PRS Sonzera amp? It won't power on at all. 

It started by slowly going out on me in middle of a gig about 6 months ago. That gig was about 1 mile away from PRS factory. :rolleyes: A guy I play with looked at it and tested the tubes, and said two 12AX7 tubes were bad and left those two spots open for me to replace them. Well that didn't work and now the amp won't even power on.  So I finally took it to Bill's Music and guy there said this:

1 Service ELECTRONIC REPAIR 45.00 NO POWER Tested all fuses and tubes. Has a problem with DC tube heater voltage. No schematic available. Return to PRS for repair. NOT REPAIRED 45.00 SUBTOTAL [sad]

Edited by saturn
additional info

Well I didn't watch the vid because pedals don't interest me 

The remarks about Phil McKnights playing is interesting though. I can only think that Saturn was right about him concentrating on the 'demo'. The pedals are being evaluated rather than his playing.

I've seen a great deal of Phil and think his playing is fine. He himself would admit though, that  he is first and foremost a bass player.