Gibson Brands Forums

Intonation problem on 6th string, low E only

guitardog247

1 minute ago, SteveFord said:

There's always another one, those manufacturers are pretty prolific.

I really would like a 355 w/ ebony, Lyre, ToneSuck and maybe stereo.

I would like them better if the price would drop by $2000...

Do you ever use the stereo feature on BB. I did it maybe 3 times total when I had it and 99.99% of the time the varitone was on position 1.

4 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

No, I never did but I liked that it was there.

You have a top of the line guitar you want the top of the line features.

I do use the ToneSuck Control a lot just for amusement.

Kind of like t-its on a prostitute?

• 1 year later...

Same thing.  2018 SG Standard.  The low E string intonation is off on 1-4 frets.  The A string is a little twerky at frets 1 and 2.  Everything else is fairly on.  But, like the guy said, 11 years ago, I can't record with it because the intonation is 'sharp'.  It frustrates the heck out of me because I love everything else about this guitar.  But, can't record or perform with it. Not only that but the volume pot on the bridge has always had a static crackle.  I've had it set up by professional luthiers.  For $1600-1800 I expect more.  Per the decade+ long thread, I'm going to try a new bone nut and make sure I'm using the exactly specified strings.  In meanwhile, I'm using my Godin Multiac and Taylor T5z for recording and performing.  But, I really wanted that Gibson SG sound (61 reissue pickups are beasts)

On 3/9/2023 at 5:32 AM, Master TJ said:

Same thing.  2018 SG Standard.  The low E string intonation is off on 1-4 frets.  The A string is a little twerky at frets 1 and 2.  Everything else is fairly on.  But, like the guy said, 11 years ago, I can't record with it because the intonation is 'sharp'.  It frustrates the heck out of me because I love everything else about this guitar.  But, can't record or perform with it. Not only that but the volume pot on the bridge has always had a static crackle.  I've had it set up by professional luthiers.  For $1600-1800 I expect more.  Per the decade+ long thread, I'm going to try a new bone nut and make sure I'm using the exactly specified strings.  In meanwhile, I'm using my Godin Multiac and Taylor T5z for recording and performing.  But, I really wanted that Gibson SG sound (61 reissue pickups are beasts)

Have you tried any of the advice on this thread so far? 

@Master TJ  if a fret is just a little high and you mash your finger to the fret board. Yup you’ll pull the note sharp.

if it’s frets 1-4 don’t play open position 🫣😂

maybe get your guitar tech to reprofile your frets .

as ‘pinch’ said if intonation is right at the 12th then is intonated

Edited by Eracer_Team

To eliminate a nut issue, capo at the 1st, tune it up and check everything up the board while capo'd. If it looks good it's the nut slot issue with the string not setting on the edge near the board. Could be the slot is too tight or needs more backdraft. Just one thing to look at.

On 3/9/2023 at 12:32 AM, Master TJ said:

in my opinion the Graph tech nuts are better.

I had the same issue on my LP Standard. The saddle was already maxed out and reversed - there was nowhere to go. So I got a Nashville bridge and that solved it. They are a tad wider than a standard ABR-1 so there was enough room to intonate. I also put a bone nut on it since the factory nut looked like it was chopped out by an apprentice on his first day.

New bridge:
0405201404.jpg

Stock nut - looks like an apprentice cut the slots with a dull butter knife:
0228201633_HDR.jpg

New bone nut:
lpnutbone.png

2 hours ago, 10PoundLester said:

I had the same issue on my LP Standard. The saddle was already maxed out and reversed - there was nowhere to go. So I got a Nashville bridge and that solved it. They are a tad wider than a standard ABR-1 so there was enough room to intonate. I also put a bone nut on it since the factory nut looked like it was chopped out by an apprentice on his first day.

New bridge:
0405201404.jpg

Stock nut - looks like an apprentice cut the slots with a dull butter knife:
0228201633_HDR.jpg

New bone nut:
lpnutbone.png

Holy cow. Stock nut = worst cut nut I've seen! 

13 hours ago, Pinch said:

Jesus, it's a nut. They should have just put another one in. 

I actually called Sweetwater where I got it and they said they could take the guitar back in exchange for another one. Like I'm sending it back because of the nut. I was trying to tell them that their  "inspection" missed this and why it was a bad nut job. The guy didn't understand my point. I did send an email to Gibson just to let them know my opinion of their QC  but of course never heard back from them.  Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the OPs thread here! Sorry about that. 😊

On 3/26/2023 at 3:40 PM, 10PoundLester said:

I actually called Sweetwater where I got it and they said they could take the guitar back in exchange for another one. Like I'm sending it back because of the nut. I was trying to tell them that their  "inspection" missed this and why it was a bad nut job. The guy didn't understand my point. I did send an email to Gibson just to let them know my opinion of their QC  but of course never heard back from them.  Anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the OPs thread here! Sorry about that. 😊

I've got a slight buzz on an open string where the nut's cut not great... Maybe I should replace the nut too... 

The tone and sustain was too good to return it, though... Man, does it sing... 

What material would correspond best with the original nut, should I decide to replace it some day? 

Edited by Pinch

21 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I've got a slight buzz on an open string where the nut's cut not great... Maybe I should replace the nut too... 

The tone and sustain was too good to return it, though... Man, does it sing... 

What material would correspond best with the original nut, should I decide to replace it some day? 

I believe the original nut is some sort of plastic - nothing special. Since you're going in there I'd suggest bone. Can't go wrong. I chose unbleached bone so it sort of matches the tuners. Regardless of the material you choose, the nut has to be right or everything else suffers.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/31/2023 at 7:03 PM, 10PoundLester said:

I believe the original nut is some sort of plastic - nothing special. Since you're going in there I'd suggest bone. Can't go wrong. I chose unbleached bone so it sort of matches the tuners. Regardless of the material you choose, the nut has to be right or everything else suffers.

Do you find it (bone nut) sounds different to the original Graphtech nut? 

12 hours ago, Pinch said:

Do you find it (bone nut) sounds different to the original Graphtech nut? 

I didn't give it enough time to tell. As soon as I got the LP I changed it. The plastic was cut so badly I couldn't stand looking at it. I would imagine in some small way the bone does affect the overall tone - maybe with more sustain since it is denser than the plastic. I know for certain it has a large impact on my acoustics. In either case it would only be on open strings although some studies have indicated that even when a string is fretted the nut still has impact on the tone but I don't know how that could be. Here's a picture of the original nut - this is how I got it from Sweetwater: 

lpnut.png

And this is the bone nut I installed:

lpnutbone.png

Edited by 10PoundLester
  • Thanks 1