Gibson Brands Forums

Cold Temperatures and Nitro

mking

Ya. Keep it sealed for at least 12 hours. A warm box or case does not mean much .  

I bought a sj200 2 years ago from eastern Canada. +5c. , had it shipped to Alberta.  , here it was -20c    I left it in the box for 4 hours.    Being anxious, I opened up the box and case. They were warm to the touch.
 The guitar nitro cracked everywhere.       Im not sure why Gibson had to use so much product.  The clear looked like cracked glass everywhere.  

19 hours ago, slimt said:

Ya. Keep it sealed for at least 12 hours. A warm box or case does not mean much .  

I bought a sj200 2 years ago from eastern Canada. +5c. , had it shipped to Alberta.  , here it was -20c    I left it in the box for 4 hours.    Being anxious, I opened up the box and case. They were warm to the touch.
 The guitar nitro cracked everywhere.       Im not sure why Gibson had to use so much product.  The clear looked like cracked glass everywhere.  

Do you still have the instrument. If you do, I'd like to see a pic. I'm probably in the minority, but I like the look of finish checking.

1 hour ago, gearbasher said:

Do you still have the instrument. If you do, I'd like to see a pic. I'm probably in the minority, but I like the look of finish checking.

I still have the SJ200.  It wont be going anywhere. So when I can figure out how to delete a few then I can post a few.      

60F is  probably a sweet spot at this time of year, depending where you live, and assuming the opening doesn't occur in a room that is below zero, or above 100F - there should be no problem.   What you need to worry about  (if you want something to worry about)  is whether the guitar, albeit in the shipping carton, was subject to any horrible changes in temperature by the shippers.   So - leave it packed exactly how you got it, to avoid any confusion on the part of your friend if there is damage - as to where damage of any kind might have occurred. 

On 11/17/2022 at 4:03 PM, cunningham26 said:

it's not really a matter of temperature, just the rapid change of temp and humidity. ease em in like a forum member into a warm bath

Wise words ^ the way a few of us started. .

😅