Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson's 25.5" scale

Rosinante

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:
14 hours ago, tpbiii said:

I don't have any SUPER JUMBOs

Which is a bit of a mystery, , , and probably has a serious & qualified reason.  👂

Well they don't match the genres I aspire to -- I seldom channel Emmy Lou  or Little Jimmy Dickens.  When I do, I use this -- $25 CAN at a garage sale some years ago.  It is actually a remarkably good guitar with some actual fans out there.  It came with that pickguard and although I had it worked on to make it playable, it did not seem worth it to remove it.  I don't know its scale length.

5sl5QTE.jpg

5 hours ago, Murph said:

Pwh3tbE.jpg

Those are lovely little instruments -- my daughter does not play them because of the short scale, but what do kids know?

Gibson has several very short scale guitars too.  I think the ones in this pictures are the shortest I have come across.  1935 L-00 3/4 and Kalamazoo  SPORT MODEL😎

3Zvi2tP.jpg

Here is my daughter playing that Kalamazoo mandolin -- a relative of yours I would say -- in a jam show in 2012.  Her buddy Kelly is actually playing a 1943 Gibson J-45.

Edited by tpbiii
  • Like 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:12 PM, tpbiii said:

Well they don't match the genres I aspire to -- I seldom channel Emmy Lou  or Little Jimmy Dickens. 

That's special. Guess one can say that the king of acoustic collectors don't go for the king of acoustic flattops.  

I burned for one as a late teenager and got a quite good yellow-black-burst Ibanez copy.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Then the urge evaporated. Maybe my feeling is that they just don't give as much as they take.

Long-distance adore the guitar though. .  

On 11/19/2022 at 3:14 PM, E-minor7 said:

That's special. Guess one can say that the king of acoustic collectors don't go for the king of acoustic flattops

Well my late wife and I started accumulating old guitars maybe 40 years ago -- it was a careful investment of retirement funds , or we could not have afforded to do it.  That was just the $$ part, which had to be done right of course.  But our collecting goals were not monetary -- we just hoped to also save for retirement.   We aspired to be pure acoustic musicians who blended instruments and voices in the traditions of the first 60 years of the 20th century.  For us that was folk revival music of the 1960s and later traditional mountain and bluegrass music from the 1920-1970.  We hoped to own the flat top guitars and 5-string banjos that drove our genres, and that did not include Super Jumbos.  And we sort of pulled it off.

A lot of these are Gibsons, but a lot are Martins and other iconic brands.  I guess I sort of became a minor leader in discovering golden era RW J Gibsons for bluegrass -- I also have their contemporary Martin competition.

The weird thing is that people did not forget the old instruments, but they came the driving force of the modern flat top guitars and (to a lesser but significant degree) banjo market.  In the old days, I would say we were weird -- now it is everyone else.

Christmas time is coming but let me end this lecture with an original Christmas song. -- the Cold Rain Deer.  It would be of no interest except because I am not a blues player, but it is played on a 1926 Gibson L-1 -- Just like Robert Johnson.🙂 Scale lenght -- 24 2/4

Seasons Greetings,

-Tom

Edited by tpbiii
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tpbiii said:

Well my late wife and I started accumulating old guitars maybe 40 years ago -- it was a careful investment of retirement funds , or we could not have afforded to do it.  That was just the $$ part, which had to be done right of course.  But our collecting goals were not monetary -- we just hoped to also save for retirement.   We aspired to be pure acoustic musicians who blended instruments and voices in the traditions of the first 60 years of the 20th century.  For us that was folk revival music of the 1960s and later traditional mountain and bluegrass music from the 1920-1970.  We hoped to own the flat top guitars and 5-string banjos that drove our genres, and that did not include Super Jumbos.  And we sort of pulled it off.

A lot of these are Gibsons, but a lot are Martins and other iconic brands.  I guess I sort of became a minor leader in discovering golden era RW J Gibsons for bluegrass -- I also have their contemporary Martin competition.

The weird thing is that people did not forget the old instruments, but they came the driving force of the modern flat top guitars and (to a lesser but significant degree) banjo market.  In the old days, I would say we were weird -- now it is everyone else.

Christmas time is coming but let me end this lecture with an original Christmas song. -- the Cold Rain Deer.  It would be of no interest except because I am not a blues player, but it is played on a 1926 Gibson L-1 -- Just like Robert Johnson.🙂 Scale lenght -- 24 2/4

Seasons Greetings,

-Tom

I like it!