Gibson Brands Forums

Just Why?

Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, jvi said:

just because you  dislike a persons work doesn't mean its no good....slam for slam sake is BS...

Hmm....A syllogism I think.   The converse is true too.   

You have disliked Sgts input in the past but that doesn't mean he does not have a valid point here.  He is making interesting conversation and it seems some agree with him.

I don't think anyone of the posters above would deny Mr Leach's extraordinary level of artistry and craftsmanship; it's just taste....innit?  As we say in the UK.  That green is very LOUD.

However the airplane one is bloody horrible IMO.  Well executed?  Evidently.  Still horrid.

I had to google Grit Laskin who obviously uses photos and probably silk-screen in his work.  It is very well done indeed but a but much for my taste.   I neither like nor dislike it.

https://williamlaskin.com/

BTW - I would like to say to all you acoustic folks, my Gibson ES 175 sounds pretty good acoustically.   These guitars have a particular, quite recognizable acoustic signature.

F-hole thread anybody?

Edited by jdgm

3 hours ago, Lars68 said:

This one I like a lot, don't know why but I do. Seriously.

Lars

Lars,

Well, that makes one of us. 

If someone wants a guitar that looks like the engine cowl of  a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk, that's their business.

Me?

I like guitars that are finished to look like.....guitars.

Not Chinese Ming vases, cathedral stained glass windows, or Chinese privacy screens, regardless of the workmanship.

If I was given any of the examples shown in this thread, I couldn't dispose of it fast enough.

RBSinTo

Zero desire to play the P-40 Warhawk guitar, though it does make me wonder what fellow Sydney Lanier High School graduate Gen. Robert L. Scott would have to say about it.  Maybe Martin should send one to the Museum of Aviation in Warner Robins, Georgia to hang near the P-40 in Flying Tigers colors they have there.

As far as the inlaid pieces that started this conversation - no.  I can appreciate the skill and the technique, but they remind me that while Martin made a range of serious ukuleles, the very best sounding ones are apparently the plain, unadorned Style 0.

I love that Martin goes way outside the box for anniversary guitars and other celebratory guitars.

The company, compared to Gibson, has consistently been aesthetically conservative. But for these special guitars ...

No, I don't want one, especially at the price. But my goodness, I love that the company does this.

3 hours ago, jdgm said:

Hmm....A syllogism I think.   The converse is true too.   

You have disliked Sgts input in the past but that doesn't mean he does not have a valid point here.  He is making interesting conversation and it seems some agree with him.

I don't think anyone of the posters above would deny Mr Leach's extraordinary level of artistry and craftsmanship; it's just taste....innit?  As we say in the UK.  That green is very LOUD.

However the airplane one is bloody horrible IMO.  Well executed?  Evidently.  Still horrid.

I had to google Grit Laskin who obviously uses photos and probably silk-screen in his work.  It is very well done indeed but a but much for my taste.   I neither like nor dislike it.

https://williamlaskin.com/

BTW - I would like to say to all you acoustic folks, my Gibson ES 175 sounds pretty good acoustically.   These guitars have a particular, quite recognizable acoustic signature.

F-hole thread anybody?

I posted one a few years ago but my lineup has changed since I did a downsizing. Here's a few pics.

These are still here.

Arch tops

The Gretsch, L1 and ES175 are gone

F hole

'41 Regal Recording king

52124846328_f757aaaf9e_b.jpg

On 11/22/2022 at 8:43 PM, Dave F said:

I posted one a few years ago but my lineup has changed since I did a downsizing. Here's a few pics.

These are still here.

Arch tops

The Gretsch, L1 and ES175 are gone

F hole

'41 Regal Recording king

52124846328_f757aaaf9e_b.jpg

Dave F,

Really curious why you posted these photos, as they have nothing to do with the discussion.

RBSinTo