Gibson Brands Forums

Roy Rogers & Elvis Presley

Larsongs

I happened to see this on TV today.. Roy in his fancy Outfit, fancy Gibson L-5 (I think) singing “Yellow Rose Of Texas” to Dale Evans in the 1944 movie which has the same title as the song.. 

I recently watched Elvis in “Loving You” for the 50th time..   Do you see any similarities? The fancy Outfits & fancy Gibson J-200 struck me as kinda funny… Do you think maybe the Colonel or the Movie people borrowed the idea?

Edited by Larsongs

5 hours ago, Murph said:

Women love cowboys.

Why do you think "Yellowstone" is so popular?

As long as there are women, there will be cowboys.

My wife’s niece who lives in Montana  posted on her Facebook page, “ Stop moving to Montana, Yellowstone is just a show.” People think it’s really how they live there, riding horses, beating up bikers who trespass, shooting people, wearing caboo hats, etc. The world has become a strange place where people think tv is reality.

• Haha 1

We were watching the tube - a National Geographic show - and our recently acquired 3 y/o German Shepherd Dog was laying there watching it on and off with us.   I'm pretty sure his previous owner kept him in a kennel (trying to make a 'guard dog' out of a teddy bear) so TV was new to him.  As were stairs, fire hydrants, etc.    A segment came on - the standard "lion stalking a wildebeest and killing it".   Our GSD heard the bleating of the wildebeest as the lion was killing it and JUMPED up  and put his two front paws on the entertainment center and his nose 6''  from the TV and started whining.  The gratuitous scene ended in less than a minute and he got down and calmed down.   We explained to him it was 'just TV', wasn't really happening, tapped on the glass/plastic screen, etc.      

He's never watched TV since.    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

At least Roy played his guitar.

Elvis just used his as a drum and a stage prop.

As I recall from something  I read years ago - Roy Rogers (not his real name) was a semi-cowboy from Oklahoma and played and sang before he went to Hollywould.   George Strait too.  Of course,  Rascal Flats and Florida Georgia Line don't even pretend -  no  "Big Hat, No Cattle" for them.  

5 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

As I recall from something  I read years ago - Roy Rogers (not his real name) was a semi-cowboy from Oklahoma and played and sang before he went to Hollywould.   George Strait too.  Of course,  Rascal Flats and Florida Georgia Line don't even pretend -  no  "Big Hat, No Cattle" for them.  

I read somewhere Roy trained Trigger.. He must’ve grown up on a Farm or Ranch. Or worked one before becoming the Singing Cowboy.. Hard to believe there was only 10 years between both of those Movies.. 

Most Country Music today is anything but Country.. 

20 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Most Country Music today is anything but Country.. 

Many say the similar thing about Rock music.  It's not really Rock anymore.

But too, remember the days when ALL "Country" music was referred to as "Country and Western"?  And even some early rock'n'roll heroes had their LPs placed in the "country & Western" bins in local record shops. In the shop I frequented  as a kid I'd find The Everly Brothers' LPs in that section.   Bill Haley too.

But then I'm reminded of this one of many favorite scenes from "The Blues Brothers" movie.....

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

Roy was from Cincinnati. 
In 1960 my family moved into a house formally owned by his uncle. The older long time residents on the street remembered when Roy ( Leonard Slye) would ride his horse and visit his uncle. I think his family lived on a farm on the outskirts of town. Way before my time. 

22 hours ago, jvi said:

Elvis could and did  play guitar, as well as piano and a few other instruments,

And sadly after a point quit doing so in his "movies".  Oh, he'd hold 'em, but like in that clip, either tap on it with the palm of his hand and/or barely move his fingers over the strings, giving the IMPRESSION that he was playing it.  A typical Elvis movie might have him lurching through the desert under a hot sun.  Suddenly out of nowhere some music is heard AND Elvis reaches  behind  a Saguaro cactus and pulls out a Gibson Dove and carries it over his chest while pretending to play it while walking into a suddenly appearing ghost town where scantily clad young women are dancing in the street.  [biggrin]  All while Elvis is singing some song about, "My desert flower."  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

14 hours ago, Whitefang said:

And sadly after a point quit doing so in his "movies".  Oh, he'd hold 'em, but like in that clip, either tap on it with the palm of his hand and/or barely move his fingers over the strings, giving the IMPRESSION that he was playing it.  A typical Elvis movie might have him lurching through the desert under a hot sun.  Suddenly out of nowhere some music is heard AND Elvis reaches  behind  a Saguaro cactus and pulls out a Gibson Dove and carries it over his chest while pretending to play it while walking into a suddenly appearing ghost town where scantily clad young women are dancing in the street.  [biggrin]  All while Elvis is singing some song about, "My desert flower."  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

LOL! That’s not to extreme of an exaggeration either! LOL! I did like his early movies.. Especially King Creole, Jailhouse Rock & Loving You.. I’ll still watch those.. 

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1