Gibson Brands Forums

No more L-5's?

ksdaddy

I have a '47 L-5 and a 2003 Heritage Super Eagle, neither of which gets much use. The 47 is straight acoustic. I have a Monkey on a Stick DeArmond but I don't like the clutter. The Heritage is 18" and cuts off circulation in my right arm.

I thought about selling both and getting a virgin L-5. I guess not though.

Wow, that sucks.  But I guess they weren't selling very many or weren't profitable so done away with.  Guess I should have kept mine, or at least held out for a lot more money when I sold it.

It wasn't the most comfortable to play, but sure sounded good! 

GMfLe29.jpg?1

Edited by Twang Gang

@merciful-evans   I really liked your Howard Roberts (and the LP Light). 

We all know the 1st 60 years or so of the last century saw the heyday and golden age of the (Gibson) f-hole guitar......but the Henry J era is very interesting too for -

1) build quality of all ES and archtop models from his takeover late 1986 for the next (at least) 20  years was superb, and rated as good as the best of the 50s.  I played 2 or 3 early 90s ES335s and they were easily that good IMO.

2) New models and variations; many of these were short-run/limited or signature.  Many thinline ES variations, the ES-775 (up-rated ES175), 165, 195, 339, 359, 137, 446, the Johnny A, double-cutaway L5,  the Wes signature L5, the introduction of the 'Crimson' series, Midtowns and more...they really tried hard.    Certainly impressed me [cool]  

🎸

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Gibson not making Archtops anymore..!!  I read they were suspending taking orders until they can catch up.  Was I lied to ? Isn't $10,000-$11,000  for a guitar enough money !! Goodness gracious what kind of decision is that ? Leaving that end of the business to others ..why ? Is Gibson going into another Norlin Era ? The Gibson originated this kind of guitar. The people who make these need to keep doing them or the way and knowledge to do a good arch top disappears. What is Gibson gonna do when they need to make them again..get Heritage to make them for them ? Right now you got people selling Byrdlands for what the price of the last new ones sold for.Its a joke. I'll even consider ordering a new one Gibson ..come one.

Edited by merseybeat1963

13 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Apparently too busy making snot green electrics. 

They are waiting for Taylor Swift to show up in a Video with an L5, 

then we'll have The Taylor Swift L5 Signature Series w/ a $15,000 MSRP on it.

think I'm kdding???

Since this thread started there have been some new ES336 and 356 models come up for sale, so they are making those again, at least for a little while.  But those models are a different type of construction from an L5.  But maybe there is hope that in the future the archtops will come back.

Edited by Twang Gang

• 2 weeks later...

There is one L-5 for sale by Gibson, it's in their "certified vintage" program.  Just became available today, it's a 1978 in wine red and they only want about $15.5K for it.  Apparently it's used but has been locked away in a vault for a long time?  You get a new guitar warranty with it.

Big_Image-1_-_-71738056.png

Edited by Twang Gang
  • Like 1

I would have loved an L-5 as it is THE electric guitar. But I started on electric guitar,  I never felt big body guitars comfortable. Somehow I like the L-5S in all it's incarnations from the 70's. But I think, Heritage has the better body design with their Millenium model.  Nowadays, a regular L-5 seems like a relict of yesteryears. I can't imagine even pro jazz players being able to afford an L-5, though  I think players of jazz boxes don't collect as many guitars as the solidbody players do, unless they're filthy rich.  A new  designed L-5S with a regular L-5 neck, slightly bigger Les Paul body (about 105-110% ), but venetian cutaway, all maple design, maybe with weight relief or even semi hollow with f-holes, but all features of the L-5, including the L-5 tailpiece, applied here also. Optional ebony bridge, Schaller M6 locking tuning keys. pickup toggle switch in the lower cutaway, like on the L-5. If Gibson could do it for under 5 grand, I might be in

1 hour ago, Hamerguy said:

I would have loved an L-5 as it is THE electric guitar. But I started on electric guitar,  I never felt big body guitars comfortable. Somehow I like the L-5S in all it's incarnations from the 70's. But I think, Heritage has the better body design with their Millenium model.  Nowadays, a regular L-5 seems like a relict of yesteryears. I can't imagine even pro jazz players being able to afford an L-5, though  I think players of jazz boxes don't collect as many guitars as the solidbody players do, unless they're filthy rich.  A new  designed L-5S with a regular L-5 neck, slightly bigger Les Paul body (about 105-110% ), but venetian cutaway, all maple design, maybe with weight relief or even semi hollow with f-holes, but all features of the L-5, including the L-5 tailpiece, applied here also. Optional ebony bridge, Schaller M6 locking tuning keys. pickup toggle switch in the lower cutaway, like on the L-5. If Gibson could do it for under 5 grand, I might be in

Don't hold your breath