Gibson Brands Forums

In The Bleak Midwinter

Red 333

I didn't post a Holiday Greeting Video the last two years because the last two didn't feature a Gibson acoustic guitar. I've made one every year for the past 11 years for my Facebook friends and friends on this forum.  I did Run, Run Rudolph last year (featuring an Epiphone Blues Deluxe), and the year before  I did Handel's Hallelujah Chorus with 3 Voices (ala The Roches) and 2 bass guitars.

This year, though, features the J-45 True Vintage.  And my red...Gibson ES-333.

And an Epiphone Jack Casady bass to keep it all in the family. 

In case you're not familiar with the song,  the title and first verse refers to the cold and bitter weather that had settled on the land when Mary and Joseph had to settle on a stable for the place of Jesus’ birth. Out of respect for our time and patience, I have only sung that verse, but the others tell the full story of the nativity in language that’s crisp and clear and sharp and perfectly evocative of a cold winter’s night.

My arrangement was mostly inspired by master fingerstylist Doyle Dykes’ sublime performance, which I urge you to find on YouTube. I can’t remotely play like him, mind you, but I nicked a few of his licks and phrases and incorporated them into my version.  I also gave it some martial snares because the lyrics to one of the verses (which I did not sing but put on screen over my electric guitar solo) reminded me of The Little Drummer Boy.

Happy Holidays, everyone.

Red 333

Edited by Red 333
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Red 333 said:

.  .  .   features the J-45 True Vintage.  And my red...Gibson ES-333.

Well now we know where your forum name comes from, Mr ES'. 

That was really nice. 'Can only imagine how many of us would share their music here if they (we) had a fraction of the production skills as you've posted. 

Happy Christmas to you.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 6:03 PM, QuestionMark said:

Red-great to see and hear your post.  Thoroughly enjoyed your music, singing, playing, and arrangement!  Good stuff!

QM aka:  “Jazzman” Jeff

Thanks, QM. I've always said you are the nicest person on this and the Epiphone forum. See, you proved it again.

Happy Holidays, QM.

Red 333

On 12/17/2022 at 6:29 PM, E-minor7 said:

Bravo 🔔  Good to have your musical greeting back aboard. Fine video and performance. The bass sounds awesome. 

Thanks, Em.

Previously, I relied on a pair of computer speakers to mix with. This year, I got a good pair of very flat monitor speakers, plus a single mono mix cube. Boy, they made a huge difference, especially in regard to getting the bass to sit in a mix that sounds good on phones and tablets as well as good headphones or a big home audio setup.

Happy Holidays!

Red 333

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 11:50 AM, kidblast said:

dare I say, ya got a little Beatlesque on that one Red.

quite creative and very entertaining.   

I was going for a Paul/Linda/Denny Wings' harmony thing, but I'll take it! Thanks so much and Merry Christmas!

Red 333