Gibson Brands Forums

Brand new Standard 60s or used Custom Shop 58?

Simen

Hello there!

I would love to get some input here.

I’m about to buy a Les Paul. I have been looking at a brand new Les Paul Standard 60s. It’s about 2500USD where I’m from. But I also got the chance to go for a 2014 Custom Shop Les  Paul Reissue 1958, for 29000USD. The CS looks to be in very good condition.

Normally I tend to prefer smaller necks, but I also enjoy chunkier necks.

I know the bran new one have the option to split the humbucker to single coil. Does the CS have that feature?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this decision?

Thanks!

Well, being a Reissue, I wouldn't think so.

No splitting back then I believe.

Unless modified of course, then and now.

Also, that option isn't mentioned in the specs section at these sites that were found when Googling, 

"2014 Custom Shop Les Paul Reissue 1958 specs"

https://www.12fret.com/instruments/gibson-r8-les-paul-standard-reissue-sunburst-2014/

https://guitargiraffe.com/en/sold-gallery/168-289-2014-gibson-les-paul-1958-reissue-vos-bourbon-burst-0711106189853.html

Good luck.

The R8 will be no special switching, but come with quite possibly 57 Classics - maybe Custombuckers like they do today, but if I had to put in bet, I'm going with 57s.  Both are great pickups IMHO.  An R8 neck is pretty chunky - noticably...  I mean, I have an R7 goldtop and R7 Custom - both of which are baseball bat necks.  The frets between these are different though - tall skinny for the GT and lower and wider for the Custom.  If you're going after an R8, probably tall and skinny like the R7 GT - that's how they make them today I'm pretty sure. 

I don't know much about the USA Standards, but I can share with you what my R7s are like.  An R8 to me is basically an R7 with a plain top.  My R7 is a rock machine though.  IDK, I don't have issues with the fat neck.  Depends on what you play I suppose.  Good luck and post pics! 

15 hours ago, Simen said:

Hello there!

I would love to get some input here.

I’m about to buy a Les Paul. I have been looking at a brand new Les Paul Standard 60s. It’s about 2500USD where I’m from. But I also got the chance to go for a 2014 Custom Shop Les  Paul Reissue 1958, for 29000USD. The CS looks to be in very good condition.

Normally I tend to prefer smaller necks, but I also enjoy chunkier necks.

I know the bran new one have the option to split the humbucker to single coil. Does the CS have that feature?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this decision?

Thanks!

I would buy the Standard as its only 2.5k and the other one is 29k. Unless your Jim Irsay and money is no object.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Personally, I'd go for the R8 it will be a better guitar (but obviously I haven't played them), but I have a 2014 R8 and it's better than any Gibson USA guitar that I've ever played, I couldn't put int words whats better about it, it just is.

The other thing to bear in mind is the re-sale value, the CS guitar will always be worth more and with it being second hand, the original purchaser has taken the biggest financial, so I'd guess you'll always get back what you paid for it.  

Thanks for the input guys! I decided to go for the Custom Shop. I guess It’ll be easier to sell this one without a loss then a brand new one if it turns out it’s not the one for me. Super excited! Will post pictures when I get it in a few days.

• Like 1

If the 58 is any where close to a real 58 it would be my choice.. I’d want to play it… A real 58 or 59 are the Holy Grail of Gibson Les Pauls.. That said, I have never heard a Reissue Humbucker made by anybody, including Gibson, that sounds like a real 58 or 59 PAF Humbucker.. Which I have owned… Everyone has chased that Sound for years but no one has ever achieved it.. IMO…

I’d offer $2300 & settle at $2500 on the 58.. If it’s in top condition….

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

If the 58 is any where close to a real 58 it would be my choice.. I’d want to play it… A real 58 or 59 are the Holy Grail of Gibson Les Pauls.. That said, I have never heard a Reissue Humbucker made by anybody, including Gibson, that sounds like a real 58 or 59 PAF Humbucker.. Which I have owned… Everyone has chased that Sound for years but no one has ever achieved it.. IMO…

I’d offer $2300 & settle at $2500 on the 58.. If it’s in top condition….

Hmm… I have never seen a cheaper CS 58 than the one I bought for 2900. eBay have several 58s between 3500 and 4500

Yeah a $2500 R_ is probably gonna have a headstock repair and other ****ery. Otherwise it’s probably stolen or the owner is absolutely desperate. 

My experience with Gibson historic reissues (true historic or whatever it’s called) is very limited but I’m a big big fan. My R9 is just an unbelievable guitar. I haven’t played an R8 that I enjoyed personally but lots of people rave over them so it’s just personal preference

1 hour ago, Simen said:

Hmm… I have never seen a cheaper CS 58 than the one I bought for 2900. eBay have several 58s between 3500 and 4500

If you start low, you can always come up.. You never know the Guys bottom line unless you test the water...

Like an old Used Car Wholesaler once told me.... "You can never get hurt by the one you didn't get".

Edited by Larsongs

The guitar just arrived! Looks good, plays like a dream and sounds amazing!

No dents or deep stratches at the front. A quick polish and this will look like new.

Noticed the binding at the neck has what looks like paint on it. Isn’t that normally removes after painting, or is it part of the VOS/reissue thing?

290_820183956.jpg

290_1971321929.jpg290_2115029262.jpg290_1119963682.jpg290_1324117794.jpg290_72070816.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteveFord said:

That looks great.

What color is the case liner?  I only have one guitar with that colored binding and it has a red case interior.

It’s just the analine dye on the mahogany. When you see it in person it makes more sense because the binding isn’t discolored over the maple parts 

Great looking LP by the way. For $2,900 I’m almost a little jealous. Looks like it’s in excellent condition

11 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

It’s just the analine dye on the mahogany. When you see it in person it makes more sense because the binding isn’t discolored over the maple parts 

Great looking LP by the way. For $2,900 I’m almost a little jealous. Looks like it’s in excellent condition

Helluva price! 

11 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Thanks! The price was good, but there is often possible to get a good deal on used guitars where I live. Just picked up a mint condition Martin HD-35 for 2650 usd, 10 years old. There is also an Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop goldtop 54 reissue in good condition for 2800 usd that I’m considering🙈 

On 1/4/2023 at 7:39 AM, Simen said:

Thanks! The price was good, but there is often possible to get a good deal on used guitars where I live. Just picked up a mint condition Martin HD-35 for 2650 usd, 10 years old. There is also an Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop goldtop 54 reissue in good condition for 2800 usd that I’m considering🙈 

You could go for an R4, but I personally would like an R6 better because it has a TOM bridge instead of just a tailpiece.