Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff Beck R.I.P :o(

Rabs

12 hours ago, SteveFord said:

There was Jeff Beck and then there was everybody else.

RIP, Mr. Beck.

Absolutely.  He was the MAN.

It is very sad news indeed, dammit.  

However he achieved probably everything and more that a guitarist who didn't really sing could achieve, and he leaves an unique, literally fantastic legacy of recorded music.

Way ahead of his time. 

R.I.P.   A  true guitar genius and legend.

Edited by jdgm

22 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

The only person I saw who could hang with Jeff Beck was SRV although Jeff could do quite a few different things.  

This is fun to watch:

Can you imagine the look on SRV's face when Bowie told him that on tour you have to dress up like a clown to play in the touring band. SRV was not having any of it.

What about Fripp. He's a total eccentric nut job uber guitarist. The only thing is he would sit down and turn is back to you.  I think a Mellotron might be close by. 

On 1/13/2023 at 4:44 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

This was one of my favorite JB collabs.  Absolutely smokin' version. 

That was great, I'd never seen/heard it. The photo is of him with a Les Paul and a pick in his hand. After listening, I doubt either.

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2023 at 7:44 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

This was one of my favorite JB collabs.  Absolutely smokin' version. 

Not really liking Jeff's playing on this one.  Solo was really unimpressive.  And I noticed Seal chose to correctly pronounce "frustrating", unlike Jimi, who, as you'll recall, pronounced it "fustrating".  which is a common gaffe. I'd have preferred if Seal kept it "pure".  I mean, you wouldn't sing the grammatically correct, "I can't get any, satisfaction." would you?  [wink]

Whitefang

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

For anyone who wants to chase that elusive Jeff Beck trem thing ...

I just mentioned in another thread, this guitar player does some of those techniques, and this is what she says about her trem setup.  The whole video about this guitar is actually pretty interesting.   But regarding the JB trem:

That guitar looks like Brian May met Johnny Winter and gave birth.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say - Jeff Beck's funeral was on Friday Feb 3 in Surrey.

Among those attending -

John McLaughlin,  Jimmy Page,  Eric Clapton, Kate Bush, Robert Plant, David Gilmour, Brian May, Roger Taylor, Ronnie Wood, Tom Jones, Kirk Hammett, Rod Stewart, Chrissie Hynde, Bob Geldof, Tim Burton, Johnny Depp, Harry Enfield, Vic Reeves, Imelda May, Joss Stone, Beth Hart......and many more.

R.I.P.  Jeff  - you really were the BEST.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1