Gibson Brands Forums

Hep me! Can a Hummingbird be only studio guitar?

babydaddymusic

I record a lot of Singer songwriter stuff along with Radiohead type acoustic music- think Wilco as well. I’m selling my 1966J 45 and my L-00 and I’m wondering if you think that a hummingbird standard could be a jack of all trades acoustic in a studio environment with not a lot of fingerpicking but a lot of strumming?

I have a Martin 0000–15 M, which is a pretty good finger pick guitar. I really want a great strumming guitar. 
What are your thoughts?

FWIW, I don't record but what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, maple guitars record well. John Thomas produced an album of Banner J's and documented which guitar was used on each track. If we wanted to, he had us listen and then pick our favorite sounding instrument before he revealed which guitar. I picked the maple.

Wonderful project and well worth listening to. Pick your favorite sound then lookup what was used. 

aec.cdb5638110855.2_0.jpg

19 minutes ago, Dave F said:

FWIW, I don't record but what I've read on this forum and elsewhere, maple guitars record well. John Thomas produced an album of Banner J's and documented which guitar was used on each track. If we wanted to, he had us listen and then pick our favorite sounding instrument before he revealed which guitar. I picked the maple.

Wonderful project and well worth listening to. Pick your favorite sound then lookup what was used. 

Thank you, will check it out

As an audio engineer, I’m not sure if a single acoustic guitar can cover every studio situation.

With that said, the hummingbird is a pretty versatile guitar. What the hummingbird does very well is that it fits nicely with a voice. I find that there’s less EQ work needed to make sure that everything mixes well.

Sometimes a D28 will sound so big that it leaves too little room for the voice. Sometimes a J-45 sounds too pointy. It all depends on the style, arrangement and performance, but I find the hummingbird works well very often.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dave F said:

Thanks, Dave! What great fun that project was.

Information soon on the in-production Kalamazoo Gals feature length documentary film.

6 hours ago, peter l said:

As an audio engineer, I’m not sure if a single acoustic guitar can cover every studio situation.

With that said, the hummingbird is a pretty versatile guitar. What the hummingbird does very well is that it fits nicely with a voice. I find that there’s less EQ work needed to make sure that everything mixes well.

Sometimes a D28 will sound so big that it leaves too little room for the voice. Sometimes a J-45 sounds too pointy. It all depends on the style, arrangement and performance, but I find the hummingbird works well very often.

This is exactly what I am looking for! I guess my voice would be considered a tenor, so to me the Hummingbird leaves room.

6 hours ago, peter l said:

Peter - Nice to have the perspective of someone who looks at the actual sound in an actual studio situation.   My ears prefer the blend of my voice and my H'Bird - over the J45 of SJ200.

Just now, fortyearspickn said:

Peter - Nice to have the perspective of someone who looks at the actual sound in an actual studio situation.   My ears prefer the blend of my voice and my H'Bird - over the J45 of SJ200.

Thank y’all so much. I’ll be honest I have learned in my older age that there needs to be a wow factor when you pick up an acoustic or you want played as much as you wish you did. I think the hummingbird has a wow factor for me.

Lawdy Have Mercy.  Sounds like you are overthinking it all.  While I have never owned a square shoulder Gibson, given what appears to be your taste in music, you might heed the words of I think it was John Hiatt who once said the Hummingbird was the greatest rock & roll acoustic on the planet. If nothing else Keef has proven that. 

Edited by zombywoof

A few people here will know that I more than appreciate the square shouldered Gibsons, both 60s and post 2010 models.                                                                                                                                                                                                     There is something irresistible about them and they bring joy almost each time I pick them up.

That said, I believe it's a vulnerable creature. Fx too tinny for me when not tuned down. And not suited for all types of stuff. Their 'thin' nature may do them (and the engineer) good in a mix, but the Bird/Southern Jumbo/Country Western can lack body-core when used as a folksinger's tool. Especially the old ones. Never would I bring one of them to an all acoustic kitchen jam - only sometimes they'll be suited for studio tasks. 

And one more thing  : Have you ever seen a serious so called singer/songwriter perform alone with a square Gibson.                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Or heard one used on a classic solo performance in the studio for that matter.

All this said, I adore these guitars and couldn't live without them. . 

15 hours ago, peter l said:

Sometimes a J-45 sounds too pointy.

Wonder what you mean and if you could give an example from the Tube (thanx for a good reply btw ^).

By pointy, I mean the sharp attack in the mirange when strummed with a pick. The J-45 is an event, it has tons of character and is present in millions of successful recodings. I’m in no way arguing that it’s not good for recording because that would be stupid.

Most hummingbirds that I’ve recorded  have a very different EQ curve. The mids are a little less present maybe because of the different body shape?  Some of the sonic information is shifted from the mid towards the lower end. To my ears, the h-bird is less of an event in the midrange. In a mix, the vocal usually lives in the midrange and there can be alot of competition in this range.

If it’s a recording which calls for a strummed guitar, this strum  has a very different role in the arrangement and the mix. It’s simply chords with rhythm that’s supposed to support a melody.  It doesn’t necessarily take a back seat but it really shouldn’t compete.

Of course this is a giant over generalization! Every handmade guitar sounds different. Every player has a different touch,. Every voice is different. There’s also  microphones and mic placement. There are just countless variables. Luckily, with EQ you can successfully make room for all of the elements.

Edited by peter l

4 hours ago, peter l said:

By pointy, I mean the sharp attack in the mirange when strummed with a pick. The J-45 is an event, it has tons of character and is present in millions of successful recodings.

I see, , , never tried that - would not strum a 45, rather choose a 60s square, but that's just me. 

Btw. you should hear the difference between my 2010 J-45 black nut Standard and my pal's 2003/5 Historic Collection. Like brother and sister in the clichéish sense (pardon 😎

Ouh, , , wait a minute - maybe I strummed my 1953 45 on tape once. Surprisingly rustic it came out - and it's NOT as raw by nature as many other old hog slopes.                                                                                                                   May be the reason I'd prefer the not-so-loud vintage square - ! without ceramic insert, , , which is enjoyed in other contexts

Keep experimenting - so many (different) stones to turn - and post about

9 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

That says it all!  Besides, with the software nowadays, you can make a Hummingbird sound like a fiddle and fiddle like a trumpet. …

and yet,  there is still nothing that can help bagpipes.

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, olie said:

I think a bagpipe and banjo duo might rock!

I head this one while living in Scotland.

Q:  You drop a bagpipe player and a banjo player out of a 10th story window.  Who hits the ground first?

A:  Who cares.

OK, so what was the topic we were originally discussing again ?

Edited by zombywoof