Gibson Brands Forums

Electric Guitars "Opening Up"

SteveFord

I only noticed any difference in unplugged electrics when it was between a solid body and a Hollow or semi-hollow.  Certainly,  the  unplugged Gibson ES-140T  I pulled down from the wall at a Dearborn, MI music store in '68 was louder unplugged than the Gibson Les Paul gold top that was next to it.   And that 140 had two P-90s on it.  [cool]

4203_01.jpg

At the time, both the 140 and the LP were priced at $500.  But that was in 1968 when I was 17 and flat broke.  [sad]

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

I only noticed any difference in unplugged electrics when it was between a solid body and a Hollow or semi-hollow.  Certainly,  the  unplugged Gibson ES-140T  I pulled down from the wall at a Dearborn, MI music store in '68 was louder unplugged than the Gibson Les Paul gold top that was next to it.   And that 140 had two P-90s on it.  [cool]

4203_01.jpg

At the time, both the 140 and the LP were priced at $500.  But that was in 1968 when I was 17 and flat broke.  [sad]

Whitefang

I did not know they made an ES Les Paul in 68? In 2013 I bought a Gibson Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul with MHS Pickups & Bigsby.. I love that Guitar! I kick my self for not buying the Goldtop Version with P90’s & Bigsby too.. With those 2 Guitars you could do just about anything… And each only weigh about 7 lbs. very easy on the Shoulder & back…

• Like 1

I never claimed that Les Paul gold top was an ES.  I wouldn't have known back then anyway.   Back then too, I used to think the Fender Telecaster was an earlier Fender model that was discontinued as most bands at the time seemed to favor Strats.  [blink]

But, you live and learn.

Whitefang

24 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I never claimed that Les Paul gold top was an ES.  I wouldn't have known back then anyway.   Back then too, I used to think the Fender Telecaster was an earlier Fender model that was discontinued as most bands at the time seemed to favor Strats.  [blink]

But, you live and learn.

Whitefang

Both my Memphis Blacktop ES Les Paul Bigsby & the Memphis Goldtop ES Les Paul P90 Bigsby were issued about 2013 for a short period of time..  Both are recent models.. I wasn’t aware they even made an ES Les Paul in the 50’s?