Gibson Brands Forums

Pole pieces "flush" with the covers?

Pinch

Let's say you have a covered pickup. Would "flush" polepieces mean that the very top of the polepiece is perfectly flush with the cover? So you could put a ruler on it and the polepieces would JUST touch the top of the pole pieces? Sounds awfully low. Maybe flush means where the arc of the polepiece stops at the hole in the cover? 

I'm setting up a guitar that has the polepieces adjusted from the factory. I like really low humbuckers. If I were to lower the pickups an equal amount on each side that would be fine, but I like the bass side lowered a little bit more,so I'm looking into the whole polepiece game. The distance now between the low E and the polepiece is my favored distance for that pickup. Maybe I should take it from there.

Wait a minute. If the polepieces are adjusted to the 12" radius already, then it doesn't really matter if I set one side a little lower, does it? I could tilt the pickup like crazy, and the polepieces would still be "to radius" If I used a radius gauge. 

So probably just adjust the bass ones to taste if need be, since I usually like that side a little lower relative to the treble side than the manufacturers? 

I think even if you have it set exactly to the radius of the board, so many tiny changes such as string gauge, core size vs wrap size, nickel plated vs pure nickel vs stainless etc, wound vs plain G, you may need to tweak one or more pole pieces. And it may drive you nuts seeing a lack of symmetry. And as RCT says, minutiae kills. And once you get it perfect, you play it in a different room with a different amp and you’re right back at square one. 

Sometimes you can find the manufacturer’s setup specs online. I figure… they BUILD them, they probably know a good setup. I sometimes default to their settings and if I sense something is lacking, I’ll tweak. But I do use their setup specs as a starting point. 

55 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Flush : Polepiece = same height as cover

I agree about default factory specs. Good place to start. I used to have my pickups sitting too high for years. Now I may have them a bit too low?

The big issue with this is how the polepiece is set on pickups without covers because they are set level with the top of the pickup as default.  If you've ever fitted covers to uncovered pickups you'll find there a long way short of being level with the covers.

1 hour ago, IanHenry said:

The big issue with this is how the polepiece is set on pickups without covers because they are set level with the top of the pickup as default.  If you've ever fitted covers to uncovered pickups you'll find there a long way short of being level with the covers.

That's a good point. 

That tells me that unless they look totally out of whack, they're basically at a decent starting point. 

Edited by Pinch

22 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

Worth just mentioning that Gibson never intended anyone to adjust pole pieces. The reasons they're screws, and protruding though holes, was entirely aesthetical. I'm not saying adjusting them doesn't make a difference but adjustment was never the purpose. 

Interesting! 

2 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

Worth just mentioning that Gibson never intended anyone to adjust pole pieces. The reasons they're screws, and protruding though holes, was entirely aesthetical. I'm not saying adjusting them doesn't make a difference but adjustment was never the purpose. 

Don't confuse people with facts and history, provide them with always more perfecter than the last perfect spec.

rct

Any adjustment on a guitar must be based on the players rig, technique, and the sound or style of music he's after. I found out the hard way that measurements and factory settings are a waste of time. Best guide to get to your tonal goal is to use your ears. Or bring it to a tech or luthier and give him exact instructions on what you want your axe to feel and sound like. 

22 hours ago, Mr. C.O. Jones said:

Any adjustment on a guitar must be based on the players rig, technique, and the sound or style of music he's after. I found out the hard way that measurements and factory settings are a waste of time. Best guide to get to your tonal goal is to use your ears. Or bring it to a tech or luthier and give him exact instructions on what you want your axe to feel and sound like. 

I did this, for me, entirely radical new thing; I set the pickups at my preferred height, it sounded great, so I just... play it. Novel, I know.