Gibson Brands Forums

GAS is back

Rabs

8 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I've wondered if you were still building guitars. they always looked great. I had wanted a Rabswood ...

Well its all a long story but as I was building my business up (and starting to get off the ground) my dad got really sick so I spent most of my time looking after him for a few years. Then after he passed away my business was back to zero... Thats when I got a job at the wood shop. At that point even though in a way it was an ideal place to be to make guitars, by the end of my working week I could hardly be bothered to do anything I was so knackered from it.  After a few years of that I had to stop as I was getting (and still am to an extent) bad hand pains (as well as back and neck issues).. That was a couple of years ago now. Last year I started a few builds but then did some work for my old boss at the wood shop which really screwed my hands again. That was last summer and they are getting a bit better.

So I really want to start again and will just have to take it very slowly and be sensible how long and hard I work my hands. We will see how it goes.

Edited by Rabs

6 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Well its all a long story but as I was building my business up (and starting to get off the ground) my dad got really sick so I spent most of my time looking after him for a few years. Then after he passed away my business was back to zero... Thats when I got a job at the wood shop. At that point even though in a way it was an ideal place to be to make guitars, by the end of my working week I could hardly be bothered to do anything I was so knackered from it.  After a few years of that I had to stop as I was getting (and still am to an extent) bad hand pains (as well as back and neck issues).. That was a couple of years ago now. Last year I started a few builds but then did some work for my old boss at the wood shop which really screwed my hands again. That was last summer and they are getting a bit better.

So I really want to start again and will just have to take it very slowly and be sensible how long and hard I work my hands. We will see how it goes.

1st of all, I'm sorry about your Dad. I can't recall if it was mentioned here when he passed.

and damn, I'm sorry about your hands.  yea, pace your self ...  arthritis really sucks. my wife has it bad

1 minute ago, Karloff said:

1st of all, I'm sorry about your Dad. I can't recall if it was mentioned here when he passed.

and damn, I'm sorry about your hands.  yea, pace your self ...  arthritis really sucks. my wife has it bad

Cheers..  Yeah, I did do a thread on that, it was in 2018..  Man, time moves so fast. 

And I think I do have some arthritis but also tendonitis which causes a sharp pain at the base of your thumb/wrist area. For a while it was happening just lifting a glass or doing the washing up. The doctors dont say much either just that its not unusual for people who use their hands every day (her example was she sees lots of baristas who suffer the same problem). Their suggestions were, I can see the physio, use a splint or some ibrufen gel when it huts.. None of which will actually fix the issue.

So yeah.. Just be careful is about the only answer I have had...

I was also just thinking about if the guy who has the LP that inspired this thread comes back to me with an offer..  I can email him back and say, no thanks, I have decided to build my own one  😄  Not that I think he is gonna do that. 

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

I was also just thinking about if the guy who has the LP that inspired this thread comes back to me with an offer..  I can email him back and say, no thanks, I have decided to build my own one  😄  Not that I think he is gonna do that. 

yea, he probably won't but that would be satisfying to say. lol

8 minutes ago, duane v said:

It's a beauty but $5k is a bit steep.... but it is pristine 

Thats the thing.. If it actually looked as good as it does in the pictures which is almost perfect I maybe would have gone for it.. But it didnt. I mean the colour was nice and for a 30 odd year old guitar it wasnt in bad nik but not in any way pristine. Several deep dents and dings and looking at the finish at the right angle you could see that in a short while its going to start checking.

I would almost say that the pics have been airbrushed. Which is kinda stupid cos if anyone were to order it without seeing it first they are going to be pretty disappointed when they see it for real.

So I spent some time looking at your FB and YT stuff. IDKW I didn't do that sooner. I'm a fan. You gots some talent there sir. K so a** kissing aside, I'm with you.

I say,

Build your own d*mn DBS! You have the skills. And you don't have the constraints that gibby employees have.

Me thinks you'll build a fine ride sir.

12 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

So I spent some time looking at your FB and YT stuff. IDKW I didn't do that sooner. I'm a fan. You gots some talent there sir. K so a** kissing aside, I'm with you.

I say,

Build your own d*mn DBS! You have the skills. And you don't have the constraints that gibby employees have.

Me thinks you'll build a fine ride sir.

Cheers, I appreciate that... The thing is that since I started and sort of finished doing this, the guitar market has totally changed. These days the likes of Harley Benton and many other cheap makes are making it hard to compete as they are pretty decent guitars. Even some of the higher end Epiphones are increasing in quality... Secondly as much as people say they liked my work it never really translated in to sales. I mean,  I did sell some, I went to guitar shows and did servicing but as said above, I had to stop and when I came back to it I was getting no calls or emails at all. Also I was kind of sick of some peoples attitudes towards the pricing of my guitars. Some were quite cheap as I worked out of my parents garage and was using re-claimed wood at first and I used decent but not expensive hardware trying to aim for the middle of the market. And you end up explaining that over and over again. It becomes exhausting after a while 🙂 

We will see.. I currently have about four guitars I started over the last couple of years and stopped. And I do want to get those finished no matter what happpens. And of course this new project idea ..  Maybe it will spark something in me again.

• Like 2

If it’s a desirable Guitar, been on Reverb for 5 months & hasn’t sold it’s usually for one reason.. The price isn’t realistic….

Rabs was right to back off IMO…. If the Seller is realistic & prices it according to the market it will sell…

On 3/9/2023 at 9:14 PM, Rabs said:

Cheers, I appreciate that... The thing is that since I started and sort of finished doing this, the guitar market has totally changed. These days the likes of Harley Benton and many other cheap makes are making it hard to compete as they are pretty decent guitars. Even some of the higher end Epiphones are increasing in quality... Secondly as much as people say they liked my work it never really translated in to sales. I mean,  I did sell some, I went to guitar shows and did servicing but as said above, I had to stop and when I came back to it I was getting no calls or emails at all. Also I was kind of sick of some peoples attitudes towards the pricing of my guitars. Some were quite cheap as I worked out of my parents garage and was using re-claimed wood at first and I used decent but not expensive hardware trying to aim for the middle of the market. And you end up explaining that over and over again. It becomes exhausting after a while 🙂 

We will see.. I currently have about four guitars I started over the last couple of years and stopped. And I do want to get those finished no matter what happpens. And of course this new project idea ..  Maybe it will spark something in me again.

I get it. But if this one is for you, buck the market.

Irony might be, like most artists worth their salt, your work won't be appreciated till your passed. Reassuring thought there. Arg........

------

Edit,

"work won't be appreciated till your passed"

Poor attempt at a compliment Rabs.

Edited by CROWB8

19 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

I get it. But if this one is for you, buck the market.

Irony might be, like most artists worth their salt, your work won't be appreciated till your passed. Reassuring thought there. Arg........

------

Edit,

"work won't be appreciated till your passed"

Poor attempt at a compliment Rabs.

Lol..  Its cool you are probably right.. If it ever gets any real recognition at all.... There are many talented people out there who never get any recognition but still do what they love cos they love it. If I hadnt have had these physical issues I would probably have never stopped. Especially as I was working in a wood shop with some of the most beautiful English hardwood I have ever seen. It drove me crazy sometimes. All I would see is guitar and neck body blanks and I wanted to keep it all 😄  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Man, those prices have just gone crazy..  I may have gone for a 356 if they didnt have the fatter necks. They are nice even though gold hardware is not my favourite. I know the LP Lite has gold but in that case I really think it suits the colour scheme.

In saying that when I was at the shop trying the LP Lite he gave me a 339 to try which again I always thought had fat necks on them (or I may have gone for one of those a while back, they are much cheaper) but actually when I played it it was quite similar to my 336 is neck feel.

6 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The 339 was available with two different neck profiles, basically “50s” and “60s”

Really I didnt know that..  All the ones I can see including on Gibsons site just say rounded 50s.... They have a sweet one with mini block inlays up at the moment

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/USARIR238/Blueberry-Burst

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

Man, those prices have just gone crazy..  I may have gone for a 356 if they didnt have the fatter necks. They are nice even though gold hardware is not my favourite. I know the LP Lite has gold but in that case I really think it suits the colour scheme.

In saying that when I was at the shop trying the LP Lite he gave me a 339 to try which again I always thought had fat necks on them (or I may have gone for one of those a while back, they are much cheaper) but actually when I played it it was quite similar to my 336 is neck feel.

I never liked gold hardware, but then I did a complete about-turn. It began with the Fingerbone gold HW. I like the way it tarnishes (its 40 odd years old). Since then I wished I had got the gold version of the Ric 650 (the Sierra). Also since then I got two gold HW Gibsons.

This pic is of the Fingerbone tarnished bridge & PU ring.

a99Dntf.jpg

Ever since you got the first 336, I've been curious as to how it compares to the 339. Mostly in terms of the sound. They are supposed to have the same pickups, so any difference should be down to the construction. 

Just now, merciful-evans said:

I never liked gold hardware, but then I did a complete about-turn. It began with the Fingerbone gold HW. I like the way it tarnishes (its 40 odd years old). Since then I wished I had got the gold version of the Ric 650 (the Sierra). Also since then I got two gold HW Gibsons.

This pic is of the Fingerbone tarnished bridge & PU ring.

Ever since you got the first 336, I've been curious as to how it compares to the 339. Mostly in terms of the sound. They are supposed to have the same pickups, so any difference should be down to the construction. 

Well he said that the 339 had custombuckers in it so I have no idea when it was from or if he was right or not.. But from my brief play of it, it did sound a bit more open and airy if you like, which is exactly what I would expect from a more acoustic type guitar.

40 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Well he said that the 339 had custombuckers in it so I have no idea when it was from or if he was right or not.. But from my brief play of it, it did sound a bit more open and airy if you like, which is exactly what I would expect from a more acoustic type guitar.

Well, there you go. I thought they all had 57 Classics! Thanks for the tone insight.