Gibson Brands Forums

GAS is back

Rabs

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That's right. I have spent many months or even years checking for one sort of guitar or another. Its just about playing a longer game. 

I do the same.. Funny thing is, when I finally buy a Guitar after all my looking & waiting inevitably one of the other Guitars that is on my List appears from nowhere!!! Of course I can't buy it as I just spent all my Money on the new one I just got (which was also on my list)..

Why do they always have to pop up at the same time?? Or within a few days??

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Larsongs said:

There’s always another….

It will also be interesting to see if it comes back..  Cos if I had ordered that online without seeing it, I would be fairly disappointed by the actual state of it. As said. Its not that it was in terrible condition or anything but he has either air brushed the pictures or just taken it in a way to purposely leave out the dents and dings that were clearly visible to me.

3 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I do the same.. Funny thing is, when I finally buy a Guitar after all my looking & waiting inevitably one of the other Guitars that is on my List appears from nowhere!!! Of course I can't buy it as I just spent all my Money on the new one I just got (which was also on my list)..

Why do they always have to pop up at the same time?? Or within a few days??

I had exactly this when I bought my ES-139.   Within a day of me receiving it there was another (sunburst) one on ebay for less than what I paid.....if I could have afforded it I would have bought that too!

50 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I had exactly this when I bought my ES-139.   Within a day of me receiving it there was another (sunburst) one on ebay for less than what I paid.....if I could have afforded it I would have bought that too!

Ha... And thats almost exactly what happened to me when I bought my 336...  The first one I got was literally the last one in the country for sale at that time. And Gibson didnt have them down as a production model so I just had too..

THEN the P90 one came up.. It was nicer and cheaper and I could afford it.. I kinda had too  😄   

But also with my recent experiences I know that at least the humbucker 336 is still worth at least what I paid for it. More in a private sale. And the P90 one cost me £2600 which was an absolute bargain. I still dont really understand why no one else bought it first.

I mean.. Look at that 🙂  who wouldnt?

zp5NXkI.jpg

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Rabs said:

Ha... And thats almost exactly what happened to me when I bought my 336...  The first one I got was literally the last one in the country for sale at that time. And Gibson didnt have them down as a production model so I just had too..

THEN the P90 one came up.. It was nicer and cheaper and I could afford it.. I kinda had too  😄   

But also with my recent experiences I know that at least the humbucker 336 is still worth at least what I paid for it. More in a private sale. And the P90 one cost me £2600 which was an absolute bargain. I still dont really understand why no one else bought it first.

I mean.. Look at that 🙂  who wouldnt?

zp5NXkI.jpg

Yes. It just looks like it wants to be picked up and played.

Looks like the inside is painted black. My 339 is too. Gibson don't always do that. Maybe its just on the thinner hollowbodies?

Edited by merciful-evans

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Looks like the inside is painted black. My 339 is too. Gibson don't always do that. Maybe it’s just on the thinner hollowbodies?

Even though it’s an Electric Guitar why would Gibson put paint on the Wood inside the Body? 

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

The orange sticker notwithstanding, I think it’s to ensure it looks right through the f hole. Whereas a deeper body would cast a natural shadow. 

It seems that applying paint to Wood on the inside of the Body would have an adverse effect on the Sound?? Otherwise what’s the point of using Wood? There are other less expensive Materials that can be used that can be shaped/molded cheaper & faster..

Edited by Larsongs

21 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

It seems that applying paint to Wood on the inside of the Body would have an adverse effect on the Sound?? Otherwise what’s the point of using Wood? There are other less expensive Materials that can be used that can be shaped/molded cheaper & faster..

The point of using wood? Don't get me started on that. 

Regardless of that topic; its not a 'grain filling' paint. I don't what type it is, but it resembles what a water colour paint on wood looks like. The paint is absorbed and the wood surface looks the way it would uncoloured. 

51 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

The point of using wood? Don't get me started on that. 

Regardless of that topic; it’s not a 'grain filling' paint. I don't what type it is, but it resembles what a water colour paint on wood looks like. The paint is absorbed and the wood surface looks the way it would uncoloured. 

I hear you! Now I have to go look inside all my Guitars! I don’t suppose Water color should affect the Sound…

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Looks like the inside is painted black. My 339 is too. Gibson don't always do that. Maybe its just on the thinner hollowbodies?

They did that on the 335 for at least one year.

Somebody at Gibson must have thought it looked good.