Gibson Brands Forums

The perfect but not obvious match

E-minor7

Once in a while these pages tell us that not all Norlins were weak - and I for 1 have sung in that choir.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  It's basically a positive thing, though the pattern is here to stay : they were double-X-braced, heavier and therefor vibrate like larks with lead on their wings. 

This guy knows, but couldn't care less. Almost as if guided by higher guards he has found his s-mate. And isn't it terrific.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           At times things turn out exactly as they should - still completely unpredictable.

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1

Almost 10 years ago my 1974 J-50 Deluxe got so bad it was no longer playable. Took it to the luthier who thought he could fix it by planing down the neck and replacing the frets instead of a neck reset. Went to pick it up and asked if he had any problems, to which he replied the only "problem" was that he was having so much fun playing it, he didn't want to give it back! I specifically mentioned some of the negative comments about Norlin's that I've read here and he just shook his head and thought it was pretty funny. And it really did sound great after he fixed it, much better than it ever had.

Whenever my daughter came for a visit, my son in law would go right for the '74 J-50, not the 1965 or 2008 models. Gave it to him on sort of a permanent loan many years go and he still loves it. I'm not going to claim that these are Gibson's best work, but people should probably give them a chance instead of passing them by based on complaints they see online.  Have not looked for awhile so maybe things have changed, but the 70's Gibsons used to sell for pretty reasonable prices, like the $1000 to $1500 range, depending on condition.

Edited by Boyd

6 hours ago, Boyd said:

Almost 10 years ago my 1974 J-50 Deluxe got so bad it was no longer playable. Took it to the luthier who thought he could fix it by planing down the neck and replacing the frets instead of a neck reset. Went to pick it up and asked if he had any problems, to which he replied the only "problem" was that he was having so much fun playing it, he didn't want to give it back! I specifically mentioned some of the negative comments about Norlin's that I've read here and he just shook his had and thought it was pretty funny. And it really did sound great after he fixed it, much better than it ever had.

Whenever my daughter came for a visit, my son in law would go right for the '74 J-50, not the 1965 or 2008 models. Gave it to him on sort of a permanent loan many years go and he still loves it. I'm not going to claim that these are Gibson's best work, but people should probably give them a chance instead of passing them by based on complaints they see online.  Have not looked for awhile so maybe things have changed, but the 70's Gibsons used to sell for pretty reasonable prices, like the $1000 to $1500 range, depending on condition.

Yes, that's exactly the point the guy (and I) try to make.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Still have to say that the 2 Norlins I played in a shop recently just didn't 'have it'. They confirmed the darker side of the myth.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  I of course tried them in order to maybe see/hear the light. . 

I've probably owned 25 Les Pauls. The only one I currently own is a sandwich body 1971 gold top Deluxe.

A couple Les Pauls from my past that were outstanding.... a 1979 and a 1980.

Gotta get past the stigma and let them speak to you if they want.

Wow!

What are the chances?

Of all the models, of all the brands, of all the guitars in the world, and the very best one in all the categories which turns out to be a Gibson, walks into this Gibson fanboy's life.

Amazing.

This guy is delusional.

RBSinTo

11 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Wow!

What are the chances?

Of all the models, of all the brands, of all the guitars in the world, and the very best one in all the categories which turns out to be a Gibson, walks into this Gibson fanboy's life.

Amazing.

This guy is delusional.

RBSinTo

Well, the guy is an extreme example of what we all aim for - and when luck smiles upon us experience. 

25 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Well, the guy is an extreme example of what we all aim for - and when luck smiles upon us experience. 

I expected no less a reply from you, Mr. minor 7, as you and he are members of the same subset of extreme guitar fanatics .

The only difference is that his musings are less incomprehensible than yours.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

I expected no less a reply from you, Mr. minor 7, as you and he are members of the same subset of extreme guitar fanatics .

RBSinTo

Who pissed in his Wheaties?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

RBSinTo

Chew on this one rdPNCIV.jpgdig the party

On 3/19/2023 at 8:21 AM, RBSinTo said:

RBSinTo

How is the whole “being a di*k on the internet thing” working out for you?