Gibson Brands Forums

Relics - what's YOUR take on this "feature"?

10PoundLester

Good point.

I just checked & there are a large amount of articles about relicing including this one 

https://beginnerguitarhq.com/how-to-relic-a-guitar/

Huge amount of video too. Too much. People must be seriously into this stuff. Young people I suppose.

Its a ton of work! What occurs to me is that with so much of the professional relics looking fake, what chance has the ordinary person have? 

I'm pretty open to relicing....

I have seen some pretty convincing relicing jobs that I wouldn't be able tell apart from a guitar that went through years of aging. I have also notice this trend with furniture, but I think they call it "distressed."

But I just don't like the additional price tag that's added to an instrument that has been relic'd. I can see a few hundred dollars more for the option, but thousands of dollars is just ridiculous IMO.

On 4/14/2023 at 10:31 AM, duane v said:

I have also notice this trend with furniture, but I think they call it "distressed."

It seems to be more of an attempt to deceive, in the furniture biz.

Or, at least it started that way.

Man, some of that early New England stuff is high $.

20 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

I always figured people did relicing so they'd look like they've paid some dues that they really haven't.  Like ripping holes in your jeans 'cause your knees never touch the ground.

REAL jeans had more than rips.

They had oil stains.

And blood stains.

• Haha 1

On 4/16/2023 at 7:40 AM, badbluesplayer said:

I always figured people did relicing so they'd look like they've paid some dues that they really haven't.  Like ripping holes in your jeans 'cause your knees never touch the ground.

that seems a bit off.

Maybe some just like the way it's looks. Why does it have to be some sort of presumed character flaw because someone may like something that differs from your own perspective. 

Personally I like the looks on some light relics, seen some very well done Strat's and Tele,'s at my local Fender dealer. Now the price tag is a whole other question, I think you have to be very, veeeery wealthy or pretty insane to pay those prices. 

On my Gibson axes, no need for Murphy Lab...

My Satin finished one has some spots (where the arm rests, backside and the back of the neck) where the bare wood is visible now.

The 14 Traditional, dings'n'stuff well distributed, some on the headstock, most small. Dull areas on the finish, again where the arm rests/rubs, backside and back of neck. And even a bit of hairline cracking. Nickel hardware isn't shiny anymore, especially bridge and tailpiece, pickup covers seem to be less affected by my acids. Kluson tuners are dull.

Oh and of course, the little indentation caused by that wee nut under the pickguard.

They got there by simply playing them, except for that last item, that was a factory freebie!

I wish I wasn't slowly wearing down the finish on my guitar, flute, and saxophone. But when you gig for a living, it happens. And we do 3 days a week, outdoors, under a canopy, but on the public beach.

I like their looks better when they were brand new.

Now, I guess they have 'character'.

Again, I don't understand intentionally distressing a guitar, but there are a lot of things in the world that others do that I don't understand. As long as it doesn't harm me, it's OK.

Notes ♫

• Thanks 1