Gibson Brands Forums

B45 tailpiece exploded again.

ksdaddy

It's broken off twice before, right at the retainer nuts. I cut the bail off shorter and threaded them anew. This time it exploded at the 90. 

A proper 1960s replacement is $247 on Reverb. Aftermarket (with all caveats) is $25 or so. 

I'm tempted to just bend some round stock and make a new bail, using the old nuts. Which might open up a discussion on how long the bail should be, i.e. what effect it may have on string tension and tone. 

tERiOd3.jpg

I'd say that is unusual, but I guess not since this is the third time you have had a problem.  I've owned quite a few guitars with similar tailpieces and it never occurred to me that it might snap.  Is there extra tension due to much heavier gauge strings than what the guitar normally would use?

Can't help with your tailpiece problem, but you may be able to help my problem - Gibson Forum doesn't work on my iPad or MacBook at the moment - works on this PC, so I assume it is to do with Apple.

Perhaps you know a boffin who can look at what they have changed?

BluesKing777.

4 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Can't help with your tailpiece problem, but you may be able to help my problem - Gibson Forum doesn't work on my iPad or MacBook at the moment - works on this PC, so I assume it is to do with Apple.

Perhaps you know a boffin who can look at what they have changed?

BluesKing777.

Works on my Apple laptop and phone. 

2 hours ago, duluthdan said:

Works on my Apple laptop and phone. 

Thanks Dan...

I worded it wrong - I should have said it doesn't work properly...I can view the forum on the iPad, sign in...but can't do a reply....no reply box is available to type a reply in. And now I have logged in to the work PC again to do this reply. It is probably easier to log in to NASA.

BluesKing777.

18 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Sorry, I’m not good at fixing computers. 

Well, it is not the computer device - I have no problems on the Martin Forum and the AGF or anything else I usually do with Ipad -  it could be something the Gibson Forum techs have done to the Acoustic Forum or Gibson online recently, so could you pass that along to the respective boffin/tech please.

I can read the forum but not reply to anything  - I was logged in on my iPad as I have for many years - now I had to log in a microsoft software PC to replay again- (the reply bar is there shrunken to one lide wide that doesn't open).

Thanks, BluesKing777.

Hello BK3x7,

The forum works fine for me on my iPad. I’m not a tech wiz but here are some suggestions in escalating order…..

1) log out of the forum and then log back in

2) turn off your iPad, let rest w power off for a few minutes and then reboot

3) update iOS - 16.4.1 is most current (I’m still running 15.6 and I’m having no problems)

4) delete cookies in Safari - Gibson website will forget you and you’ll need to re-establish yourself on forum  (Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data - then put “Gibson’ in search bar to find Gibson cookie(s) - tap/hold cookie entry and swipe left - reveals delete option) 

Edited by Janglemore
left off part of iPad menu structure

On 4/9/2023 at 7:57 AM, Murph said:

Helluva fix there, daddy.

That looks great!

Scott's got some chops when it comes to this stuff

I'm still kind of bummed I sold him my 73 Jaguar neck instead of seeing if I could commission to restore it.   Live and learn.

Edited by kidblast

13 hours ago, Janglemore said:

Hello BK3x7,

The forum works fine for me on my iPad. I’m not a tech wiz but here are some suggestions in escalating order…..

1) log out of the forum and then log back in

2) turn off your iPad, let rest w power off for a few minutes and then reboot

3) update iOS - 16.4.1 is most current (I’m still running 15.6 and I’m having no problems)

4) delete cookies in Safari - Gibson website will forget you and you’ll need to re-establish yourself on forum  (Settings > Safari > Advanced > Website Data - then put “Gibson’ in search bar to find Gibson cookie(s) - tap/hold cookie entry and swipe left - reveals delete option) 

Thanks...

Did all that before I notified anyone - the key is that everything else on the iPad works except replying on the Gibson Acoustic Forum.

AGF reply works, UMGF reply works...etc

P.S. checked my messages - no message about being banned for ever or anything! (though you probably can't check your messages if you are banned forever?).

AND....I just posted a new thread OK! Weird - can't reply.

BluesKing777......on his P.C. again, not iPad 😂

Edited by BluesKing777

17 hours ago, kidblast said:

Scott's got some chops when it comes to this stuff

Seems like I remember this from years ago.

Then I get side tracked and forget stuff.

We're diverse group of  misfits, for sure.