Gibson Brands Forums

Something a bit different - Ren

Rabs

I saw this on Youtube and thought it was pretty interesting..  Hes like a guitaist/singer/rapper/spoken wordist?   

I thought it was interesting anyway..  Fair warning of swearing if you are offended by that sort of thing.

Edited by Rabs

6 minutes ago, Pinch said:

I get the distinct feeling he's not a soccer hooligan.

Sure sounded like one to me.  But damn......

That was the shabbiest hospital I've ever seen.  I guess socialized medicine does have it's drawbacks.

Swearing?  Well Hell......

I'd swear too if somebody gave me a haircut like that.

The most talented thing about it was his ability to mix a Japanese accent with a British accent. 

And what was up with the Leatherface  orderly?  

In conclusion, a waste of recording medium and time.  Ten minutes I'll sadly never get back.   [crying]

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/14/2023 at 9:25 AM, Whitefang said:

In conclusion, a waste of recording medium and time.  Ten minutes I'll sadly never get back.   [crying]

Didn't listen.

I don't like profanity with music, and it looked like it was going to be stupid as well.

I still have my 10 minutes.

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I'm no prude mind you.  But for me it's the relevance and level of profanity.  Just cussing because you can serves no useful purpose in song.  Or too,  any kind of casual conversation.  [wink]

Whitefang

But... It certainly has a message,and a rather profound one at that. 

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

But... It certainly has a message,and a rather profound one at that. 

And that message is what?   That any  no talent dickwit with a video camera and too much time on their hands can become a You Tube "star"?

25 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

That can be argued. 

How?

Whitefang

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I don't mind an occasional 'profanity' in the lyrics.   But there are shades of gray.  If it's  "Lite"  and just adds context - I'm ok.  But - if it's stuck in there to create an emotional response - I'm not.   To shift gears =  COMEDY.   Some of it seems to be not just 'profane' but 'obscene'.  I wouldn't pay to listen to someones attempt to 'shock me'.  But different people are at different places at different times - so I'm glad they get to go.  Not for me:  I'm not a 'prude' - but I guess that's one of those words that has a  "Definition Subject to Interpretation".   A lot of those floating around today. 

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

And that message is what?   That any  no talent dickwit with a video camera and too much time on their hands can become a You Tube "star"?

How?

Whitefang

It's obviously someone who's been through a lot. He's referring to mental illness and being institutionalized, and finding a way to make peace with his demons and picking up the pieces. He does it in a believable "been there" way that's reflective and mature. 

When discerning a song's message, I recommend actually listening to the lyrics... 

Edited by Pinch
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

It's obviously someone who's been through a lot. He's referring to mental illness and being institutionalized, and finding a way to make peace with his demons and picking up the pieces. He does it in a believable "been there" way that's reflective and mature. 

When discerning a song's message, I recommend actually listening to the lyrics... 

Not just that. But he talks from a musician/artist standpoint.  The voice inside us we all have that tells us we arent good enough to do this. What makes me special.. Yes as well as mental and physical illness he has had to spend most of his life confined to the bedroom..  And rather than let it defeat him, hes going to stand up to it and say no.....

Its a pretty uplifting song in the end...

The back and forth he has with his inner self I thought was really well done and very honest.

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

Did you see this one... Another great message here as far as I am concerned anyway. It is all about the money

2 hours ago, Rabs said:

Not just that. But he talks from a musician/artist standpoint.  The voice inside us we all have that tells us we arent good enough to do this. What makes me special.. Yes as well as mental and physical illness he has had to spend most of his life confined to the bedroom..  And rather than let it defeat him, hes going to stand up to it and say no.....

Its a pretty uplifting song in the end...

The back and forth he has with his inner self I thought was really well done and very honest.

I agree. 

2 hours ago, Pinch said:

I agree. 

Wow.. Look at the top comments on youtube for that first video...  Theres over 30,000 of them. Most of them thanking him for sharing a song that says everything they feel..   Its also been viewed over 10m times..  Thats some pretty powerful sh*t...

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Pinch said:

I don't see how you get screaming tantrum-like and unintelligibly(except for the expletives) is "reflective and mature".    Sounded more like a brat  raging in angst that the world didn't treat him like everything was about him. Like a lot of millennials I run across these days. 

Whitefang

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

I don't see how you get screaming tantrum-like and unintelligibly(except for the expletives) is "reflective and mature".    Sounded more like a brat  raging in angst that the world didn't treat him like everything was about him. Like a lot of millennials I run across these days. 

Whitefang

If you did watch it all (which I doubt) and cant see any talent in that. Then there is nothing any of us will say that will make any difference and its not even worth trying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Debilitating disease for decades to the point where you have to cross continents to get help is a being a tantrum-throwing brat to you? 

Sad. Don't come crying when it happens to you. 

Jesus. Weren't you a cancer survivor? How would you have liked it to have been called a tantrum-thrower back then?! 

Ugh.  That was the most ignorant and callous thing I've read on here ever. 

Edited by Pinch
  • Like 2