Gibson Brands Forums

Something a bit different - Ren

Rabs

21 hours ago, Pinch said:

Debilitating disease for decades to the point where you have to cross continents to get help is a being a tantrum-throwing brat to you? 

Sad. Don't come crying when it happens to you. 

Jesus. Weren't you a cancer survivor? How would you have liked it to have been called a tantrum-thrower back then?! 

Ugh.  That was the most ignorant and callous thing I've read on here ever. 

Debilitating disease for DECADES?  Not that guy.  He doesn't look old enough to have been around for "decades".  But regardless, it's not the alleged  disease that makes him a tantrum throwing brat, but his idiotic schizo argument with the Brit/Japanese accent that really sounds stupid.  And his fallen short effort to look like Billy Bibbit was all to obvious an attempt to appear mentally damaged.  Not to mention the pathetically ridiculous Letherhead orderly pushing his (probably) unnecessary wheelchair. 

No, I'm not a cancer survivor, but do know a few.  And they usually spend ALL of their time reveling in the fact they're still living and go about trying their best to make the most of their second chance.  Not screeching at themselves in an affectated voice and arguing with themselves about the bad deal life has dealt them or how great the rest of the world should think they are. 

You obviously took a HUGE gulp of that Kool-Aide.   🙄

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Debilitating disease for DECADES?  Not that guy.  He doesn't look old enough to have been around for "decades".  But regardless, it's not the alleged  disease that makes him a tantrum throwing brat, but his idiotic schizo argument with the Brit/Japanese accent that really sounds stupid.  And his fallen short effort to look like Billy Bibbit was all to obvious an attempt to appear mentally damaged.  Not to mention the pathetically ridiculous Letherhead orderly pushing his (probably) unnecessary wheelchair. 

No, I'm not a cancer survivor, but do know a few.  And they usually spend ALL of their time reveling in the fact they're still living and go about trying their best to make the most of their second chance.  Not screeching at themselves in an affectated voice and arguing with themselves about the bad deal life has dealt them or how great the rest of the world should think they are. 

You obviously took a HUGE gulp of that Kool-Aide.   🙄

Whitefang

Okay, so it was ten years. Whatever, tough guy. If you'd read the lyrics, you'd known how the song ends. I'm done. 

5 hours ago, Pinch said:

Okay, so it was ten years. Whatever, tough guy. If you'd read the lyrics, you'd known how the song ends. I'm done. 

Pinch my friend, do what I did and put him on ignore, that way you don't have to see that nonsense.

• Like 1

Just now, Murph said:

Everybody's so easily offended.

Rub some dirt on it.

And in this thread it seems what offends some the most is not having a favorable opinion of something they like. 

Must be a Brit thing.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/18/2023 at 9:17 AM, Whitefang said:

no talent dickwit

WF - that's a couple steps past  'not having a favorable opinion'.     OP did post it was 'something a bit different'.    

My favorite guidance,  from someone no longer here, a long time ago was:  "If you don't like what someone has written - don't read it."    I'm still working on that one.  

• Thanks 3

21 hours ago, Pinch said:

Thank you Rabs for the link. 

Cheers...  The thing with me and the first piece I posted is that the subject matter is one that is close to me. One of my best friends and musical partner died in 2018 at 43 years old..  He was a musician, studied it for 10 years at Uni.. Was in three bands at once when he was up there. He played at open mic nights and festivals, made his own music etc etc..   And even though he was a really clever guy all  he ever wanted to do was music..

And like Ren, he had both mental and physical issues to deal with..  I had conversations with him about the voices he heard in his head and how much it effected him. He also thought about suicide and a lot of the things that the "bad" Ren says..  It really is a real thing. I had my own doubts about it at first but after years of dealing with my friend I got to understand his mind set.

I have listened to that piece now several times and when I put it in to context of my friend I have actually cried.. I cant tell you how accurate the things that he says in that video are... And many many thousands if not millions of people suffer with this sort of thing. Its no joke..   

So yeah.. I get the style is not to everyones taste. But I think that video is just incredible. To put yourself out there and tell your story knowing you will be  ridiculed by people like WF takes some serious guts. 

As for Ren...  I believe he is playing and singing/rapping live in that video.. So hes actually playing guitar, singing and acting all at the same time (and thats a LOT of lyrics to remember)... Thats talent in my books even if you dont like the style you must admit that.

Oh.. And he really doesnt sound anything like Japanese.....:rolleyes:

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rabs said:

Cheers...  The thing with me and the first piece I posted is that the subject matter is one that is close to me. One of my best friends and musical partner died in 2018 at 43 years old..  He was a musician, studied it for 10 years at Uni.. Was in three bands at once when he was up there. He played at open mic nights and festivals, made his own music etc etc..   And even though he was a really clever guy all ever wanted to do was music..

And like Ren, he had both mental and physical issues to deal with..  I had conversations with him about the voices he heard in his head and how much it effected him. He also thought about suicide and a lot of the things that the "bad" Ren says..  It really is a real thing. I 

Bare emotion. Really affected me. And the message of not giving up, well, it's perennial, innit (some Japanese slang there for WF), but it was just stated so beautifully and powerfully, it hit me like a ton of bricks. 

And just look at how the video has affected people - there are a million reaction videos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rabs said:

Cheers...  The thing with me and the first piece I posted is that the subject matter is one that is close to me. One of my best friends and musical partner died in 2018 at 43 years old..  He was a musician, studied it for 10 years at Uni.. Was in three bands at once when he was up there. He played at open mic nights and festivals, made his own music etc etc..   And even though he was a really clever guy all ever wanted to do was music..

And like Ren, he had both mental and physical issues to deal with..  I had conversations with him about the voices he heard in his head and how much it effected him. He also thought about suicide and a lot of the things that the "bad" Ren says..  It really is a real thing. I had my own doubts about it at first but after years of dealing with my friend I got to understand his mind set.

I have listened to that piece now several times and when I put it in to context of my friend I have actually cried.. I cant tell you how accurate the things that he says in that video are... And many many thousands if not millions of people suffer with this sort of thing. Its no joke..   

So yeah.. I get the style is not to everyones taste. But I think that video is just incredible. To put yourself out there and tell your story knowing you will be  ridiculed by people like WF takes some serious guts. 

As for Ren...  I believe he is playing and singing/rapping live in that video.. So hes actually playing guitar, singing and acting all at the same time (and thats a LOT of lyrics to remember)... Thats talent in my books even if you dont like the style you must admit that.

Thank you for putting that into your personal context Rabs. I get it.

• Thanks 1

Pshaw!  I too once struggled with the contemplation of suicide.  Was lucky and wise enough to realize I wasn't the only one in the boat I was drifting in and that not everything in the world around me was about me and ending my life would only hurt those in my life(children, Mother, siblings, etc.)  and damn sure wouldn't make things better for me, so I gave up the thought and opened myself up and the woman who became my second wife reached in and pulled me out of that dark place and held on to my heart so tight that going back was never an option.  I suppose I was lucky, but over time I pushed it all behind me and dropped the blame game and swore to never fall prey to that weak minded selfishness again.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Pshaw!  I too once struggled with the contemplation of suicide.  Was lucky and wise enough to realize I wasn't the only one in the boat I was drifting in and that not everything in the world around me was about me and ending my life would only hurt those in my life(children, Mother, siblings, etc.)  and damn sure wouldn't make things better for me, so I gave up the thought and opened myself up and the woman who became my second wife reached in and pulled me out of that dark place and held on to my heart so tight that going back was never an option.  I suppose I was lucky, but over time I pushed it all behind me and dropped the blame game and swore to never fall prey to that weak minded selfishness again.

Whitefang

Finally.. Thank you...

And yes.. Now imagine you had no one to talk to about it or help you out.... Which is a position a lot of younger people find themselves in especially these days. Imagine if you were 17 years old and looking at your future... All we see around us is doom and gloom these days..  Pandemics (because there will be more), economic issues, environmental issues, housing issues, corrupt governments etc etc etc... Its a bleak future for a lot of people. So that voice in theirs heads is saying, whats the point, why bother, you arent special anyway so who even cares about you.

This song, and its not even a song as much as a spoken word piece with guitar and rapping thrown in.... A lot of people connect to it. Maybe listening to it, some people may realise they are not alone and other people feel the same way. They realise maybe there is some hope and they can pull themselves out of it, if this guy who suffered from physical issues (Lyme disease) which lead to metal issues after a decade of being  sick, if he can overcome it.. Maybe they can too... Its a message of hope.

Thats literally the whole point of the video.. Hes not a crying baby. Hes shouting at himself and that video is him working on his inner issues with him putting on an irritating voice to show the negative side of himself that is annoying and brat like... A conversation between the negative and positive side of himself. And as I said, I know from experience that the things he says are totally real and effect  A LOT of people. And the way he does it, I think is just amazing.

So yeah.. I do think that takes a hell of a lot of talent.

Maybe watch it again with this in mind? It may change how you see it (but probably not  🙂

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 3

I did and it didn't.  And in my case I did have people around that might have helped, if not for them too going through their own rough times.  They really didn't need for me to pile my sh!t on top of theirs, and vice-versa. 

And of course it wasn't hard to see through the trope he utilized.  I just thought it was exhibited too over the top.  Had he presented it with more analytical retrospection and not petulant introspection my regard for it might have been more positive.  My use of the former, in concert with my future second wife's  assertive assistance is what helped me most.

And I'm still wondering what was up with the Leatherhead orderly.

Whitefang

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...