Gibson Brands Forums

Frying V?? Japan

Dave F

7 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Why would you get corn dogs if, as you say, you weren't eating then?

Whitefang

Didn’t say I got or ate corn dogs there.  I just vaguely remember them being sold.  Never sunk my teeth into one over there.

Edited by tx-ogre

On 5/18/2023 at 5:07 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

The only Marines in Yokosuka were the ones that checked ID's at the gate. Since I was in Japan I did not do what most of the others did. They all wanted to eat American food. Um . . . your in Japan, you are never going to get more authentic or better Japanese food than actually eating it there.

Exact opposite situation on Okinawa.  You couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting a Marine, but other than Navy Corpsmen or other medical personnel at Kuwae Naval Hospital, sailors were hard to fine.

I too used to spend a lot of time in the areas frequented by the locals an few or no Marines.  I had  relationship with a Mama San who owned a couple of bars and would spend time with her friends.  I spoke enough Japanese to be dangerous, but always had a great time.  My money was no good.  I had  my first exposure to Japanese cuisine like sushi, long before it was popular here in the States.  And I also had exposure to karaoke, long before it became popular in the States.  Not sure if the importation of karaoke was a good thing or not. 😁

17 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Exact opposite situation on Okinawa.  You couldn’t swing a dead cat without hitting a Marine, but other than Navy Corpsmen or other medical personnel at Kuwae Naval Hospital, sailors were hard to fine.

I too used to spend a lot of time in the areas frequented by the locals an few or no Marines.  I had  relationship with a Mama San who owned a couple of bars and would spend time with her friends.  I spoke enough Japanese to be dangerous, but always had a great time.  My money was no good.  I had  my first exposure to Japanese cuisine like sushi, long before it was popular here in the States.  And I also had exposure to karaoke, long before it became popular in the States.  Not sure if the importation of karaoke was a good thing or not. 😁

We were about 45 mins from Tokyo on the train. We went there and Yokohama a lot. Yokosuka was okay but like Okinawa, there  it was Squidville.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

51 minutes ago, Retired said:

I was never a fan of the V shape. 

I did used to have one.  But not for long. I never really did get along with the neck shape.

83ELeMJ.jpg

j25AFFA.jpg

But actually what happened to it was that I only had it a few weeks and then I went into the guitar shop and saw a LP I instantly fell in love with.. Rushed home to pick the V up and part exchanged it for this. Dont regret it for a single second 

RXZVpmP.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

I did used to have one.  But not for long. I never really did get along with the neck shape.But actually what happened to it was that I only had it a few weeks and then I went into the guitar shop and saw a LP I instantly fell in love with.. Rushed home to pick the V up and part exchanged it for this. Dont regret it for a single second 

RXZVpmP.jpg

Oh yes! and so would I 

9 hours ago, Rabs said:

I did used to have one.  But not for long. I never really did get along with the neck shape.

83ELeMJ.jpg

j25AFFA.jpg

But actually what happened to it was that I only had it a few weeks and then I went into the guitar shop and saw a LP I instantly fell in love with.. Rushed home to pick the V up and part exchanged it for this. Dont regret it for a single second 

RXZVpmP.jpg

I would tend to agree.  I vaguely remember having a V as a teen? I never played in a band so no sense standing while playing at home. It was to hard balancing it on my lap and it went Bye By  Iv'e always preferred the Les Paul design. 

• Like 1

Due to both spinal issues and being on an aggressive blood thinner I have to get my toenails trimmed by a podiatrist.  The young lady who "preps" my feet for this has a large tattoo of a flying "V" on her forearm.  When I mentioned one doesn't see flying "V's" often tattooed on young ladie's arms she mentioned it was in honor of her late Father who  played one for as long as she remembers.

I replied, "Now, THAT'S what I call a good childhood!" [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 3

On 5/20/2023 at 12:39 PM, Rabs said:

83ELeMJ.jpg

j25AFFA.jpg

Michael Schenker would play the F out of that.

On 5/20/2023 at 12:39 PM, Rabs said:

83ELeMJ.jpg

j25AFFA.jpg

RXZVpmP.jpg

I like that double cut special ...

23 minutes ago, Karloff said:

I like that double cut special ...

Yes its a cool guitar..  I actually gave that to my brother in law a couple of years ago for his 50th birthday. He has always raved about it and its like the only guitar he wanted to play when he came over. And  am going to build myself a new replacement out of walnut...

Just now, Rabs said:

Yes its a cool guitar..  I actually gave that to my brother in law a couple of years ago for his 50th birthday. He has always raved about it and its like the only guitar he wanted to play when he came over. And  am going to build myself a new replacement out of walnut...

sweet !!. I look forward to seeing that

4 minutes ago, Karloff said:

sweet !!. I look forward to seeing that

Well I have several builds going on. All quite slowly but will all be finished eventually.

Heres the body and you can see the neck in the background of the second picture.

Vc8AT84.jpg

f9fBPB2.jpg

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Well I have several builds going on. All quite slowly but will all be finished eventually.

Heres the body and you can see the neck in the background of the second picture.

Vc8AT84.jpg

f9fBPB2.jpg

thats going to be beautiful. you going with P90's or mini humbuckers ?

Just now, Karloff said:

thats going to be beautiful. you going with P90's or mini humbuckers ?

Im not sure actually..  I have various types..  I do have some mini hummers and a Classic57 with a SD Phat cat P94 type.. Very maybe the mini hummers for the walnut one. I think  🙂  (subject to change).

11 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Im not sure actually..  I have various types..  I do have some mini hummers and a Classic57 with a SD Phat cat P94 type.. Very maybe the mini hummers for the walnut one. I think  🙂  (subject to change).

yes. thats what I was thinking . that would sound great

On 5/20/2023 at 11:39 AM, Rabs said:

83ELeMJ.jpg

j25AFFA.jpg

RXZVpmP.jpg

When I was a kid, my friends and I always tried to have "play dates" and/or "over nights" with the kids who had the best toys. I got permission from my parents to come over to your house. Do you think your parents would be OK with me "bunking over" this weekend? I promise that it is because I like you as a friend, not because of your awesome toys! LMK

• Thanks 1