Gibson Brands Forums

Frying V?? Japan

Dave F

I lived in Tokyo for a few years. The people are very nice and civilized, but they cannot pronounce "L" in foreign language words, so they replace it with an "R". The same goes for the "R", which they replace with an "L". They are very strict and disciplined about it.😁

Edited by OrdinaryNimda
typos, as usual

7 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

I lived in Tokyo for a few years. The people are very nice and civilized, but they cannot pronounce "L" in foreign language words, so they replace it with an "R". The same goes for the "R", which they replace with an "L". They are very strict and disciplined about it.😁

really ? so thats true & not just a stereotype that everyone & their mother has been  aware of ?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Karloff said:

really ? so thats true & not just a stereotype that everyone & their mother has been  aware of ?

It is true and not just Japanese. Korean and Chinese as well.  My wife is Korean descent and her parents are full on Korean. We had a cat named Lily. Her mother couldn't pronounce the name. My wife said Mom her name is Really and it came back perfect Lily.

Similarly, the French have a peculiarity when it comes to the letter H. My Mom was French. Any English word beginning with an H was pronounced with the H as silent. Howard became Oward. A word beginning with a vowel got an H inserted onto the front. She bough a house after my dad passed and said, "I am now a ome howner."

Edited by Tman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Is that fried in oil or butter?

Or perhaps air fried?  😉

Whitefang

Air Frying is really just baking with a convection oven. Anyone air fry a cake? Doubt it.

Just looked at an air fryer on Amazon and here is their blub:

• Wide temperature range: 105 degree Fahrenheit to 400 degrees Fahrenheit allows you to gently remove moisture from foods or quickly cook and crisp foods with convection heat.

Heat and Water - Boil

Heat and Oil - Fry

Heat and Air - Bake

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

I lived in Yokosuka for 2 years and at the time I was doing what sailors do, and not paying attention to weather a Japanese National pronounced a "L" as an "R".

Back in the day there was a car commercial where, the he must have been Korean, cause the commercial was for Izuzu.  The Korean man said I can't say Cheveray. Instead of Chevrolet.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tman said:

It is true and not just Japanese. Korean and Chinese as well.  My wife is Korean descent and her parents are full on Korean. We had a cat named Lily. Her mother couldn't pronounce the name. My wife said Mom her name is Really and it came back perfect Lily.

Similarly, the French have a peculiarity when it comes to the letter H. My Mom was French. Any English word beginning with an H was pronounced with the H as silent. Howard became Oward. A word beginning with a vowel got an H inserted onto the front. She bough a house after my dad passed and said, "I am now a ome howner."

I was attempting sarcasm ... lol

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I lived in Yokosuka for 2 years and at the time I was doing what sailors do, and not paying attention to weather a Japanese National pronounced a "L" as an "R".

Back in the day there was a car commercial where, the he must have been Korean, cause the commercial was for Izuzu.  The Korean man said I can't say Cheveray. Instead of Chevrolet.

you should always pay attention to the weather. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My spelking no so goob. 

I thought people from SC showed off their (or is it there?)  intelligence by using homophones whenever possible. 

p.s. Welcome back Sarge

40 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I thought people from SC showed off their (or is it there?)  intelligence by using homophones whenever possible. 

p.s. Welcome back Sarge

I live in SC cause my wife inherited her father's house (paid in full) when he passed away a few years back. I lived in California in the late 60's, 70's and  most of the 80's, and then for a few years in the 90's after the Navy and before and during the Coast Guard. I retired from the Coast Guard and retired in Virginia (the last state I was stationed in).

I hate this state, and not all but many who live here are ignorant racist Orange Messiah worshipers and full-time professional alcoholics. This week is bike week and yeah we get to see tons of overweight drunk bikers on Harleys, and their old ladies.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Karloff said:

I was stationed in Okinawa for a year.  After a long night of consuming copious amounts of adult beverages and closing the bars down, it was only natural to stop off and get a steaming order of Shlimp flied lice to top the night off.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

I was stationed in Okinawa for a year.  After a long night of consuming copious amounts of adult beverages and closing the bars down, it was only natural to stop off and get a steaming order of Shlimp flied lice to top the night off.

We used to get Yakasoba or stick dogs (corn dogs) off base or once on base we would stop and get chili, rice and cheese at the A-frame snackette.

Were you AF or a Marine?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We used to get Yakasoba or stick dogs (corn dogs) off base or once on base we would stop and get chili, rice and cheese at the A-frame snackette.

Were you AF or a Marine?

USMC.  I vaguely remember corn dogs there, but the other thing I remembered with greater clarity were the “chicken” legs they sold at the flied lice stands.  We called them “dog” legs.  They were huge.  I never ate then, but if I did, I would have checked for evidence of rabies and distemper shots.

22 minutes ago, tx-ogre said:

USMC.  I vaguely remember corn dogs there, but the other thing I remembered with greater clarity were the “chicken” legs they sold at the flied lice stands.  We called them “dog” legs.  They were huge.  I never ate then, but if I did, I would have checked for evidence of rabies and distemper shots.

The only Marines in Yokosuka were the ones that checked ID's at the gate. Since I was in Japan I did not do what most of the others did. They all wanted to eat American food. Um . . . your in Japan, you are never going to get more authentic or better Japanese food than actually eating it there.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

17 hours ago, tx-ogre said:

Why would you get corn dogs if, as you say, you weren't eating then?

Whitefang