Gibson Brands Forums

What new music did you get?

SteveFord

I watched Edgar Winter Live On Stage featuring  Leon Russell.  Sax came through loud and clear, piano was down WAY too low, Leon was dressed like he was ready to split and hit the beach.

That got me thinking about the Winter brothers so coming my way is the double album, Edgar Winter - Brother Johnny.

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I watched Edgar Winter Live On Stage featuring  Leon Russell.  Sax came through loud and clear, piano was down WAY too low, Leon was dressed like he was ready to split and hit the beach.

That got me thinking about the Winter brothers so coming my way is the double album, Edgar Winter - Brother Johnny.

Edgar played keys, sax and of course he put a strap on a Moog and strutted around stage with that on. I think he mentioned he was the first one to do it when I saw Ringo. He was kind of the impromptu MC that night introducing a lot of the guys when Ringo wasn’t doing it. Edgar got all excited doing it. He has an unusual speaking voice.

I ordered Procol Harum - A Salty Dog, Renaissance Live At Carnaige Hall, Anthony Phillips- Wise Before The Event, and Al Stewart - Year Of The Cat.

Alice Copper - Killer on deluxe edition cd , and 10CC - Original Soundtrack on vinyl are supposed to show up today,  

Carney is damn good. Gonna listen to the self titled one by Leon.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

The big draw for me was the boa constrictor on the cover.

50 years later, I STILL have boa constrictors.  Some things never change.

You and Alice do like snakes. If they do a Billion Dollar Babies deluxe cd I’ll get that one too. The last decent thing he did was Nightmare.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Ordered some stuff from some old favorites I haven't heard before:

Chris Spedding - Just Plug Him In

Roxy Music - Concerto

I got Chris Spedding’s self titled album a week ago or so.  Motorbikin’

This week Procol Harum - A Salty Dog, Al Stewart - Time Passages, Renaissance - Scheherazade, Traffic - 5 Classic Albums, Curtis Mayfield - Original Album Series, Little Feat - Dixie Chicken, and Feat - Sailin’ Shoes arrived. Year Of The Cat by Al should be here next week. I gotta slow down. Got so much to listen to.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Year Of The Cat is out for delivery. My cousin sent me a vinyl LP of Strands Of Oaks - In Heaven, on see through pink vinyl.

Ordered Alan Parsons Project - Eye In The Sky on blue ray in 5.1 and its got a HD mix of the album too. I also ordered Renaissance - Novella, deluxe edition with 2 extra cd's of a full concert from '77 with a orchestra backing them up.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

George Harrison's catalog is coming back into print.

I'm missing two titles so will be getting those when they're available.

https://www.noise11.com/news/bmg-to-reissue-george-harrison-catalogue-starting-8-september-2023-20230823?fbclid=IwAR1BVUKrZmiUsLB9hoIFuYrkd5ufNe63QBq5O6HmS0vMR8r7LOqFiriLnwE

All you need is All Things. He shot his load on that. Please tell me your not gonna get Cloud Nine. I have All Things, Material World, Bangladesh, 33 1/3, Dark Horse, and the self titled on vinyl.

I received Gov’t Mule - Dark Side Of The Mule on glow in the dark vinyl the other day. Wow they killed those Floyd songs. By the way which ones the mule?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

52 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Maybe we need a new thread, Music Reviews.

I don’t think my view on what I like are gonna change anyone’s opinion. If someone already likes Taylor Swift my honest opinion won’t sway them one bit.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently got on CD:

Tom Waits - SWORDFISHTROMBONES

Tom Waits - Franks Wild Years

Renaldo & The Load - Arabic Yodeling

The Residents - Meet The Residents

On vinyl:

The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker on green vinyl

Elvis Costello - Deep Dead Blue on blue vinyl

There might be a few I forgot.

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The Black Crowes - Shake Your Money Maker on green vinyl

I never got massively into their first album. I mean it was good, but the follow up 'Southern Harmony...' was miles better and one of the great albums of the 90's. Lions from 2001 has one of my all time favourite riffs in 'Lickin''. Love that the riff was made around flicking a Les Paul toggle switch back and forth with one pickup on and one off. I used to play that riff a lot when I was young. 

Once again, my teacher and I got side-tracked from "Stormy Monday", because I happened to hear a cover of a Carl Perkins tune by that British band from Liverpool.

And when I found a really accurate set of lead and rhythm guitar tabs, and took them to my lesson, I discovered that my teacher loves rock-a-billy music, so for the last few weeks we've been working our way through this:

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Once again, my teacher and I got side-tracked from "Stormy Monday", because I happened to hear a cover of a Carl Perkins tune by that British band from Liverpool.

And when I found a really accurate set of lead and rhythm guitar tabs, and took them to my lesson, I discovered that my teacher loves rock-a-billy music, so for the last few weeks we've been working our way through this:

RBSinTo

Sung by the best singer in the group too.